The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Take-Off Slick Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
I think the real question would be to test the durometer of the tire before and after scraping, and compare those figures to a new R6 or similar tire, for reference.

I'm really contemplating whether I want to buy 3-4 sets of sticker (but old) 285/645 Rolex GT-Os from Hoosier Discontinued stock or just get 5 sets of 305/645 P-Zero slick scrubs...pricing is pretty similar.

I've picked up a set of the sticker 285/645 Rolex GT-O's and plan on pick up another two or three sets for next year. I met a few people on the track and as they said, "you have how much $$$ into this car and your using used tires with an unknown history?" It is hard to fault the logic. I figure I'll double the track days off new tires saving on mounting costs, plus I'll know the history. Just my opinion.

wwilde001 said:
I've picked up a set of the sticker 285/645 Rolex GT-O's and plan on pick up another two or three sets for next year. I met a few people on the track and as they said, "you have how much $$$ into this car and your using used tires with an unknown history?" It is hard to fault the logic. I figure I'll double the track days off new tires saving on mounting costs, plus I'll know the history. Just my opinion.

Bill - I tried a set of new Hoosiers this summer and burned through them just as fast as I do with the Conti take-offs, yet spent 4 times the $$s :'( All that I gained with the new set was being able to take full advantage of them at their stickiest. After 40 minutes, they were basically back to the level of the take-offs.

wwilde001 said:

That would be a very valid argument but tires are the most expensive thing we use, I ran 40 kart races one year and my tire bill was 5K.

LS110 said:
Bill - I tried a set of new Hoosiers this summer and burned through them just as fast as I do with the Conti take-offs, yet spent 4 times the $$s :'( All that I gained with the new set was being able to take full advantage of them at their stickiest. After 40 minutes, they were basically back to the level of the take-offs.
Bill, I agree with John's logic here. Even if I was to get a set of new Hoosiers, it is not like I am going to throw them out after 50-60 laps and that is what the take-off's I get have on them. I would burn them until the bitter end for that cost and only have a few good laps at the very begining. At least with the 275's I have a good idea how long they were used and where. Teams that have drivers paying have to provide tires in accordance with a contract so they are not very used. Other teams have lots of money (61) and change them after every practice run. Some guys even if they had a lot of money (158) used them to the point re-mounting them would not be worth it. The other thing I always think about is exactly what happened at Lime Rock, Billy drove the hell out of that car and made a pass like they were sticker on well worn tires.

If I was racing or even doing TT I would consider stickers. The two things that hold me back from racing is money and talent - and the talent part is why I do just fine on take-offs.

"If I was racing or even doing TT I would consider stickers. The two things that hold me back from racing is money and talent - and the talent part is why I do just fine on take-offs."

LOL. I think we all fall in that category. :) I guess if I lived closer to someone supplying take offs, it would make more economical sense. I'll see how these sets last next year before I make anymore judgments on the economy of new vs. used.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
btw here are some NEW slicks...Rehagen selling off a bunch. Not a bad deal. http://rehagenracingproducts.com/NEW-Continental-Race-Slicks-Staggered-245-40-18-and-275-35-18-245-275-18-GA.htm

Will the 275/35's fit an 18x9.5 or 18x10.5 best? I currently have a staggered setup with both sizes and want to add slicks to next years track days without buying 2 more rims for a square set up.

Any advice or direction would be grateful.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
They will definitely fit on a 9.5 or a 10; you could probably even get away with a 9 if you had to using a 275. The 10.5 will probably be a little "stretched" for the 275.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaGT said:
They will definitely fit on a 9.5 or a 10; you could probably even get away with a 9 if you had to using a 275. The 10.5 will probably be a little "stretched" for the 275.

275s are a tad stretched on 10", but I like them that way.

Just traded permission to go to the track tomorrow for permission to buy a set of these. ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors