The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Taking a Different Boss to the Track Friday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You guys have no idea how good the MGW unit is. Too bad you are close by to see mine, you would order it in two minutes. It is as tight and percise as possible without going too far. When I shift into a gear I know I am there, sometimes with the stock shifter I would get into third or reverse when looking for first. If you think it is just me, I saw an instructor at Miller put a Boss into reverse looking for first.

Many of you know me, when I don't like something or it is not worth it I will say so. This shifter is 110 percent worth it. It has meet and exceeded my expectations.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I had the MGW in my '06 and loved it, however, as I mentioned before I am very happy with the stock shifter.

If I go aftermarket for some reason, it will be MGW without a second thought based on the experience with the previous model and reviews of the new one online.

I've seen an MGW in person before it was installed in a members Boss. That thing is a CNC'd work of art. But at this time my car is shifting fine so it's a low priority. The shifter bracket was more of an inexpensive experiment and I'll start another thread about it so we don't get too far off topic.

Some info regarding the rear fluid leak. I have asked him to check on the fluid capacities since it appears they are saying below 5 pints and the extra 4 ozs for the friction modifier. That is contrary to the manual that say 5 pints total fluid.

I did not get any wheel hop or vibration with the new drive shaft. I do have a gasket installed on the cover, maybe that has to go. In any case this will need to be a regular check-able item to add to the list. If it continues I will remove the gasket. It is strange that all the bolts were loose but not backed out and it happened only this one time after the service. If the cover was not touched (and I have no reason to doubt the person who wrote me back) it only leaves the drive shaft as a possible cause.

Scott,

Checked with the Technician to see if he loosened the bolts for any reason. He said no, it was not necessary to remove the rear cover for any of the repairs. I also contacted engineering on your behalf questioning if they've seen any concerns with other vehicles to which they replied no. Here's the report:

Hotline Assistance Request

Vehicle: 2012 MUSTANG

RO Number: 413564

Request Date: 01-18-2012

Technician: JOSHUA

Request Form Details:

Description of vehicle concern:

CUST STATES AFTER COMPLETING HIGH SPEED CIRCUIT ON RACETRACK & VEH SAT OVERNIGHT, PUDDLE OF REAR AXLE FLUID FOUND UNDERNEATH REAR DIFFERENTIAL. CUST STATES CHECKED BOLTS - WERE ONLY HAND TIGHT. CUST STATES CHANGED REAR AXLE FLUID HIMSELF IN DECEMBER, TORQUED COVER BOLTS TO SPEC AND HAS RACED TWICE SINCE THEN WITHOUT THIS SIZE LEAK. CUST STATES HAD SOME SLIGHT SEAPAGE OUT OF BREATHER TUBE PREVIOUS TO FLUID CHANGE, BUT INSTALLED "TURKEY BASTER" TO PREVENT FURTHER SEAPAGE REFERENCING TSB 10-3-7.

Diagnostics performed:

NONE

Parts replaced:

AFTERMARKET DRIVESHAFT & PINION FLANGE PER CUSTOMER REQUEST

Tech's question:

CUSTOMER RACES VEH W/ TRACKEY A COUPLE TIMES A MONTH, HAS NOT SEEN THIS LEAK UNTIL MORNING AFTER LAST RACE. (PICS AVAIL - PUDDLE ABOUT 1' IN DIAMETER) ANY REPORTS OF REAR DIFF COVER BOLTS "BACKING OUT" AFTER PROLONGED HIGH SPEED USAGE? COULD THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIS AFTERMARKET DRIVESHAFT? NO SEAPAGE OR LEAK WAS SEEN WHILE INSTALLING DRIVESHAFT 3 DAYS BEFORE THIS LEAK OCCURED. CUSTOMER CONCERNED ABOUT LEAK AND SEARCHING FOR EXPLANATION IF ANY. ANY INPUT?
Additional Diag/Comments

Comment from: Ford Comment Date: 1/18/2012 3:52:28 PM

Josh,

The concern may occur if there was excessive vibration present (for example: Wheel hop), or the wrong torque down application was performed.

We recommend following the WSM [Work Shop Manual] torque specs along with a light application of blue Loctite on dry threads along with some time to set in.

Here's the Work Shop Manual's Procedure:

Installation

1.NOTICE: Make sure the machined surfaces on both the axle housing and the differential housing cover are clean and free of oil before installing the new silicone sealant. The inside of the axle housing must be covered when cleaning the machined surface to prevent contamination.

Clean the gasket mating surface of the axle housing and the differential housing cover.
2.Apply a new continuous bead of sealant to the differential housing cover. For aluminum covers apply a continuous bead In the groove of the cover.
3.NOTE: The differential housing cover must be installed within 15 minutes of application of the silicone sealant, or new sealant must be applied. If possible, allow one hour before filling the axle housing with axle lubricant to make sure the silicone sealant has cured.

Install the differential housing cover and the differential housing cover bolts.
•Tighten steel cover bolts to 46 Nm (33 lb-ft).
•Tighten aluminum cover bolts to 32 Nm (24 lb-ft).
4.NOTE: Service refill capacities are determined by filling the axle to the bottom of the fill hole with the axle at ride height.

Remove the axle plug, fill the axle with 2.84-2.98L (5-5.25 pt) of axle lubricant and a additional 4.0 oz of friction modifier additive and install the filler plug.
•Tighten to 30 Nm (22 lb-ft).
5.If equipped with aluminum cover, install the panhard rod. For additional information, refer to Section 204-02.

To sum up, it doesn't look like Ford is aware of any consistant concerns with the rear diff cover leaking. I have no doubt you torqued everything properly. I wish I had more info to give, but at this time this is all I have. Maybe by reading some of the info will help you to diagnose the problem. As I'm sure you've already done, check the forums to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. Also if there's any information I have incorrect or if you have anything I could add I'd be happy to update the contact with Engineering.
Let me know,
Josh

2012YellowBoss said:
Some info regarding the rear fluid leak. I have asked him to check on the fluid capacities since it appears they are saying below 5 pints and the extra 4 ozs for the friction modifier. That is contrary to the manual that say 5 pints total fluid.

I did not get any wheel hop or vibration with the new drive shaft. I do have a gasket installed on the cover, maybe that has to go. In any case this will need to be a regular check-able item to add to the list. If it continues I will remove the gasket. It is strange that all the bolts were loose but not backed out and it happened only this one time after the service. If the cover was not touched (and I have no reason to doubt the person who wrote me back) it only leaves the drive shaft as a possible cause.

Maybe try some blue locktite? I'm sure there is a lot of vibration there and the gasket could allow enough movement to loosen them up. Had that issue on certain parts on other cars.

5 DOT 0, is the modifier only needed for the standard clutch type diff?

CaliMR said:
5 DOT 0, is the modifier only needed for the standard clutch type diff?

That is correct, I do not use it anymore but would still like to know the total amount of fluid needed. I was using the 2 1/2 quarts and still vented fluid, if I add 4 ozs more I sure that will not help the situation but I don't want to run low.

The rear does not call for a gasket and does not come with one from the factory. I added mine for the hell of it but may regret that.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/TRANS-DAPT-DIFFERENTIAL-COVER-GASKET-8-8-INCH/p/RDS55341/

CaliMR said:
Anyone tried just using a stiffer shifter bushing but not changing the shifter? A friend who worked on the OEM setup for the Mustangs said that is all I need, and he is almost always right about this type of thing, but wondering about other people's experience. Didn't find a thread specifically about the bushings, this is as close as I found.
I started a thread on this topic at the link below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/boss-shifter-brackets/new/#new

I fill my rear diff until it starts to pour out the drain hole... I don't think it is really that much more than the recommended fill level. If you fill and then rotate the driveshaft to spin the axle gears you will notice whatever level you fill at will go down a little bit. This is because the lube is getting into everywhere it needs to go. I haven't had any issues or any large amount of fluid spill out of my two turkey bakers I have installed.

When I change I use a measured amount and just add that to the top vent hole. Next time I will try filling to the fill hole level and see how much that is. I did see the baster was wet and will keep on eye on that next time since it may have been fluid getting thrown around from the cover leak.

The good thing is the 2012 Mustangs do not have the venting fluid problem, even those that have cars venting fluid. Ford said the the problem was fixed before our cars were built ;D

In the mean time if you guys are tracking you may want to check the rear cover bolts. If anyone does this I would be interested to hear the results.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
It an expansion apparatus (in this case a rubber 'bulb') that is used to catch rear diff fluid overflow. This is a pic on my rear axle, I have it mounted here becuase I am using a different diff cover. Most Boss owners have them mounted on top of the diff cover where the expansion value is mounted. I am using the metal valve cover that came with the Boss vs. the plastic one that comes with the unit from Ford.

2011-12-10_13-31-03_824.jpg

Looks like the screen I put into the lower grille is paying off. This is what was left sticking to it, I am sure it blocked much more. I will need to make a note to clean it between rounds.

Edit Forgot to mention the reason for the slow laps, the guys at the dealer re-filled the washer bottle again. Won't happen again since I finally yanked it out ;D

CIMG2692.png

Also pulled the rear intake foam out, this thing is thick!!! I had to take it in two pieces.

CIMG2694.png

TMO Supporting Vendors