The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Team Dynamics Wheels Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I need to get opinions from those who have purchased Team Dynamic Wheels from me or are contemplating a purchase. I have been working with TD to make some tweaks for a better fit. First, the lug bores will be opening up to better accommodate impact sockets. They are currently 30mm diameter and with existing tooling, they can make them 32mm. Its not as much as I would like, but since they are already more open than most other brands, 2mm more will make a solid difference.

The part I just can't make a decision on is offset. They are currently +45, which works well for the rear, but is a compromise for the front. The optimum for the front is really hard to tie down, as suspension choices, alignments specs and whether camber bolts are used all effect how close they get to the strut. I will not do a split offset. The issues far outweigh the benefits. There are inventory issues, inability to rotate tires front to rear, and its nearly impossibly to tell the differences in offset, so customers will end up putting the wrong offset on the front. I have tried out a 5mm spacer out back (to simulate a +40 offset wheel) and it is just slightly proud of the body (maybe 3mm) with a 285/35 street tire. so, the optimum compromise is somewhere between +40 and +45.

So, I want to know what you have done up front with these wheels or what your desired offset would be?

Myself: I run a 15mm spacer up front. it fits right with -3 camber on the 305/660 continental slicks. its about 8mm proud with -2 camber on the 285/35 street tires. I like the wide look on the street, but its not for everyone.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences!

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
42 / 43mm seems to be the 'sweet' spot for fitment allowing rotation front/rear without spacers.

D-Force = 43
Drift = 42

With the Drift and my new AST 4200RRs, I have had to run a small spacer in the front. I think that has more to do with the struts / housing than the offset of the wheel. This is with 305 continentals on 18x10 wheels for me.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Steve

I got lucky with my lug nut socket as it just did fit. ArizonaBoss tried his and it did not fit. The offset works for me I am running 305/660 Conti slicks with no issue. I now have the Cortex suspension which will allow up to a 315 all around. The wheels look great and are nice and light. I'm very happy with them.

Derek

I believe my F14's are +42, which like mentioned, would decrease the spacer size up front. and to me that's a plus that reduces cost of spacer and possibly stress on the studs.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i have been leaning towards adjusting it to +42. it helps get the wheel away from the strut up front, but doesn't make the back stick out by a noticeable amount.

keep the comments coming. i have placed my restock order with TD, so i need to give them a decision on offset by the end of next week.

On another forum, a Forgestar custom vendor recommends a 41mm offset on 10" wheels for a square setup so I think that you are on the right track, Steve.

I'm currently running 18X10 Forgestar's with a 42 mm offset. I have 275 F / 305 R Nitto NT01's on square wheel setup and I'm very happy with how the offset works front and back. Recently test fit the 305's up front and had decent clearance [ note I had previously cut the saw bar link stud]. Sorry, don't have a really good photo to show fit.

IMG_8214.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The lug hole change is going to be excellent. I was leery about needing the 15mm spacer but the H&R piece is well made and hub centric so the is no stress on lug studs, if they go with +40mm is there a hub centric 10mm smackers available? To me keeping the vertical load path on the hub and the horizontal tension on the studs is important. These wheels are terrific, I currently only have one set and run them mounted with front tires only, mixing whatever 18"x10" wheels I have on the back. Would like an 11" wheel for 315 or 325 rear tires, anyone know of something out there in black that looks similar to the TD wheels?
Steve E

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
One more thing to consider... anything less than a 42mm may require a rear spacer as well for those individuals running non-OEM sway bars. I run Strano's bars and under load, with the 42mm wheels in 18x10 with 305s, I do get some tire/sway bar rubbing. Those running the Whiteline sway bar setup shouldn't have this issue.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Less offset is the equivilant of more spacers, not the other way around. So, a lower offset number means it gets the wheel farther outward of the body.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
pufferfish said:
Less offset is the equivilant of more spacers, not the other way around. So, a lower offset number means it gets the wheel farther outward of the body.

Yup... mixed the words up. should have read:

" anything MORE than a 42mm may require a rear spacer as well for those individuals running non-OEM sway bars. I run Strano's bars and under load, with the 42mm wheels in 18x10 with 305s, I do get some tire/sway bar rubbing. Those running the Whiteline sway bar setup shouldn't have this issue."

The 43 D-Forces rub more than the 42 drifts... but both do rub when I'm 10/10ths on the track. Of course, Strano's rear bar is pretty thick... just something to consider.

JScheier said:
One more thing to consider... anything less than a 42mm may require a rear spacer as well for those individuals running non-OEM sway bars. I run Strano's bars and under load, with the 42mm wheels in 18x10 with 305s, I do get some tire/sway bar rubbing. Those running the Whiteline sway bar setup shouldn't have this issue.

If you don't mind me hyjacking the thread for a moment but how do you tell that you have rubbing? Do you feel it or hear a noise or something?

Sean said:
If you don't mind me hyjacking the thread for a moment but how do you tell that you have rubbing? Do you feel it or hear a noise or something?

Depending on how bad the rubbing is and what you're rubbing against.

I've only experienced rear fender rubbing with a previous car. I only got audible feedback in that case. The noise was somewhat similar to going over the alligator strips found on highway shoulders. Then when I get out of the car, I could clearly see the markings on the tire and rubber transfer on the fenders.

On these cars, rubbing the rear tires against sway bars may not give much audible or tactile feedback, because the contact area is small and the cars are noisy lol. On the other hand with front tires, you may feel the rubbing through the steering wheel if it's severe enough. But I'll let someone that has experienced front rubbing chime in :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Glad you're considering this change Steve!!!

Offsets +40 to +42 sound good to me as long as they'd still clear the 6 pot Brembos.

Probably not for me, but I'm sure you'd get a lot of orders if you also carry 18x11 for the rears too.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
That one there's just no option for right now. TD maxes out at 18x10. Most of their line is much smaller. Still nota fan of staggered setups, but an 18x11 all around with 305/660 slicks would be awesome!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
If there was a good way have 18x11 square without different offsets F/R or spacers then I'd be all over that too. Not a fan of staggered setups either, but it makes sense IMO for forced induction cars.

TMO Supporting Vendors