The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Team Shelby Event at Pocono 6/4 to 6/7/20 ..Whose going?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone going to the Team Shelby event in June at Pocono.

The SVT event at VIR is too far for me this year.

My son Brandon and I will at the Shelby event.

ACD561F2-F3E4-4127-9CF1-1FE0137330DD.jpegDA9FC90C-B6E3-47E6-B567-618F89B248E5.jpeg

Bill: This is a good chance to wake up the Boss S.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Do you have a link to info and registration? There is nothing on the Team Shelby Northeast page (still listing 2019 stuff) and nothing on the TeamShelby.com calendar but I see the post in the forum to Save the Date.

The last tyme I was at Pocono was in 1996 for a Sunday NASCAR Cup Race. Me and Hon left Saturday to get to our booked lodging that was 20 mins from the track.The trip took a little less than 5 hrs from here.We thought we were golden until race day came.It seems there were only a few roads leading to the track and they all had miles of backup on race day.It took us almost 2 hrs to make that 20 min trip ( our Inn warned us to give ourselves extra tyme).Race day was sunny but very windy.Our seats were at the left hand side of the grand stand and we couldn't even hear when they started their engines. I'll never forget the smell of that racing fuel when they passed by,tho!! Towards the end of the race (20 laps to go) we decided to beat the crowds and leave early....not soon enough...It took over 3 hrs to get back to our lodging. I'm sure Shelby goers won't encounter what we did...but be forewarned, in case......

Last edited:
The last tyme I was at Pocono was in 1996 for a Sunday NASCAR Cup Race. Me and Hon left Saturday to get to our booked lodging that was 20 mins from the track.The trip took a little less than 5 hrs from here.We thought we were golden until race day came.It seems there were only a few roads leading to the track and they all had miles of backup on race day.It took us almost 2 hrs to make that 20 min trip ( our Inn warned us to give ourselves extra tyme).Race day was sunny but very windy.Our seats were at the left hand side of the grand stand and we couldn't even hear when they started their engines. I'll never forget the smell of that racing fuel when they passed by,tho!! Towards the end of the race (20 laps to go) we decided to beat the crowds and leave early....not soon enough...It took over 3 hrs to get back to our lodging. I'm sure Shelby goers won't encounter what we did...but be forewarned, in case......

You are overdue for another excursion to the track.
Nice road trip for you and the Boss. Bring the car too! :cool:
5 hrs is relatively back-friendly.

Should be a nice event. Had a great time last time we did a Team Shelby event. Lots of Mustangs of all kinds.

Pocono is actually fun and an experience to be on the high banks at speed. Plus it’s a 3 day event so there is time to relax and have fun.

Lots of garages too.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it looks like they are only running the North course which means no high banks and a pretty short lap. Hooked on Driving runs the entire layout (Mega Course) on May 17th which is something like a 3 mile lap. You get the main straight into turn 1 then back straight over the Tunnel Turn with lots of infield in between. Plus they do a special run at the end of the day where you can run the NASCAR oval and really get her cranked up. But you won't see all those Shelby's and Mustangs so pros and cons I guess.

Docs302: Thanks. Your right. 1.5 mile North course. Similar in length to Lime Rock.

The HOD event is nice too. They do run a bigger course there. My son and I coach for them. Great group. Very laid back.

Yes, the HOD folks run a tight ship. I typically only run this event with them just for the Mega. I've run the North course too many times so it just doesn't do it for me. At least at Lime Rock you get elevation change and a lot of history. Pocono is a dump but it's close.

I believe the main straight at Pocono is one of the longest on the NASCAR circuit.............losing your brakes going into turn 1 would not be a high lite of your day. That's probably why the race layout is what it is for this event.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
The Mega course is on my bucket list. From what @docs302 described I guess the run it counter-clockwise.

I've run the North/South Option 2 or 3 with SCCA Track Night or the 110 Club. Clockwise direction only. The nice thing about that course is if you lose your brakes at the end of the straight before the turn into the infield, you still have a couple hundred feet as you're off throttle and then the banked turns are your run off area. Much better than the runoff areas at NJMP...

The nice thing about that course is if you lose your brakes at the end of the straight before the turn into the infield, you still have a couple hundred feet as you're off throttle and then the banked turns are your run off area.

That's exactly what I experienced this past summer running the Track Night course. Blew a rear caliper seal at the end of the back straight at 143 mph....but still managed to get the pedal back enough to steer into the turn and trail brake until I had control. Coasted to the pit lane and lived to fight another day. That's the beauty of a five-wide track and lots of runoff room. Shorts were ruined though :oops:

Yes. The mega course with HOD is run counter clock wise. We always double check brakes before any event as loss of brakes on any track is diaper filling moment not just Pocono.

Just think of losing brakes at the bottom of the shute coming into the boot at Watkins or losing brakes coming down under the Dunlop Bridge at Lime Rock. :eek:

Yes. I also like Lime Rock better than Pocono. Watkins in my favorite.

I also really like Lightning at NJMP. Thunderbolt....hate the Octopus.

You too? Man I just can't get through that section with my set up. Nothing but understeer. Now the Glen.....that's made for our cars!

Lol. Yeah..Octopus screws up the rhythm and flow for me. Hate it. Really tight and not kind to bigger cars.

Love the Glen. Scary til you get it right but once you figure it out (multiple track walks and instruction) it’s fast and flows great.

TMO Supporting Vendors