The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tech-package-on-track experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The update on the coolers is posted below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10407.0

mattlqx

Mustangless
captdistraction said:
Bummer! Are you going to wait for Ford to build/release a cooler or are you going to fab something up yourself? I'd hope this also would hit in the aftermarket soon as well.

I'd be curious what sorts of trans temperatures you'd see driving along in phoenix summer either in heavy traffic or at speed.

Temps are normal, even during "spirited driving". The simple fact is that the most torturing conditions for a vehicle is a road course. Off and on throttle, and the braking. Slowing down as fast as you can followed by full load speeding up as fast as you can. When you're out on a mountain road, you might have more incline, but you're probably going to lay off the throttle sooner or at least not repeat the cycle anywhere near as much on track.

The hottest I saw on the trip up north was 230. Which is hot to be sure, but it's a far cry from the 280 on track. And some of that was being an idiot. If you're just putting along at 5th or 6th, there's no way you'll get near cutoff. And FWIW, the transmission doesn't heat up virtually at all when at or near idling. It's all about the friction of higher RPMs combined with the heat from the engine attached to it as well as its exhaust when running at high performance.

mattlqx - superb clip you put together. Thanks for the effort filming, editing, and uploading it. Having seen what happened to you (80* ambient) really drove it home. There were errors in judgement in the decision making process for this car and that includes option packaging (or the lack thereof). This is not a car, Tech Pack or otherwise, that should be going into gimp mode so easily. That is a serious gut punch. However, I suspect that the kits that Ford Racing comes up with may work even better than stock (Track Pack, that is) - if they choose the right hardware.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@VoodooBOSS, I mentioned I would post up my thoughts of the 350 on-track based on the session @mattlqx let me have the keys for.

All comparisons are to my B302 race car--so the perspective is important.

The easiest thing to comment on is the power. Quite a bit more and the additional rev range is really useful; unfortunately using the engine to it's full potential seems to exacerbate the trans temp issues--but that is a problem that can be solved, the real question is how much will it cost. I'm assuming TP and R cars won't be affected. The engine doesn't want to pull as hard below 4K RPM like the 5.0 will, but once you get above 4K and the VCT really kicks in the car just hauls ass until you hit the limiter, vs. where the Boss still pulls above 7K but not as hard. CJ intake setup might get the 5.0 close.

Not a lot to say about the brakes other than that they are excellent; probably pretty close to my full Brembo Pro Kit setup, but the 350's brakes are limited by the tires; switching to track tires will really help for those that want to go deep. The pads are pretty thin but didn't seem to be affected by the trans-temp limited sessions; I think @Black Boss confirmed that you'll roast a set of fronts if you are really hauling ass for an entire weekend (again, track tires will amplify pad wear in exchanged for increased brake effectiveness).

Overall the car is very balanced even with a street alignment, much more so than the Boss. Typically I need a lot of trail braking to get the Boss pointed where I want it to go, but the 350 did not like this method of driving at all. If you are on the brakes deep into the corner, the tail will be going sideways. So if you are trail braking, make sure it is lightly. Turn-in was crisp on or off the brakes, it was very easy to point the car where you wanted it to go.

The car responded "OK" to throttle steering but not as good as the race car. Throttle response/tune seemed great, very immediate. Plenty of power but easy to overwhelm the tires if accelerating out hard. Smooth throttle application will be rewarded, and you can get back on-throttle sooner than in the race car as it's easier to get the car pointed towards the apex or exit.

Trans ratios seem great, no issues with shifter, clutch pedal way too light and vauge in stock form.
Tech Pack seats probably as good as B302 Recaros for holding you in-place on the track.

It was a fun drive and the stability control was definitely working in the opening laps, saved us from one pretty lurid slide on one of the turns while still figuring out the limits. This drive gave me some good perspective on my own car and prompted me to make a couple changes with respect to suspension setup.

Drew, thanks for posting your impressions. What's interesting is you didn't experience any under steer where some of the magazines did on the TP cars. You're probably a much better driver than most of those hacks and I know from first hand experience how smooth your driving style is so that may have had an impact on that.

Matt what were your starting and hot tire pressures?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
VoodooBOSS said:
Drew, thanks for posting your impressions. What's interesting is you didn't experience any under steer where some of the magazines did on the TP cars. You're probably a much better driver than most of those hacks and I know from first hand experience how smooth your driving style is so that may have had an impact on that.

Matt what were your starting and hot tire pressures?

I couldn't speak for their driving abilities but turn-in understeer was not present, especially with my trail braking driving style. Mid-corner under/oversteer can be handled via throttle adjustment. Overall a very capable car and I am looking forward to my next drive at NATT Phoenix on the 23rd. If this comparison were to a street Boss 302 then the long and short of it is that the 350 is superior in every aspect, as anticipated.

DaveStang said:
Will this fit the GT350? https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5025-M8
Yes but you'll have to cut up the plastic undercarriage pieces and Ford has not tested it for effectiveness on the GT350's. WFIW this is not the route I'd take. Ford spent a lot of time on the aero and I wouldn't want to mess that up. The cooler is going to be the way to go.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Well, I took my first step to remedying the transmission temperature problem...

I ordered a 2017.

It's a bit of a large hammer, but taking the mulligan will allow me to get Grabber Blue and put a clear-bra on it before driving it at all (my big mistake with my current 350). For that consideration and the coolers, it's easier just to do buy another one. I wish they rolled the 2016s out smarter in the first place, but it is what it is and it's still an amazing car that I can't imagine another model from another manufacturer replacing its place in my heart.

mattlqx

Mustangless
VoodooBOSS said:
Well that's one way to get it done. What options did you order?

Grabber Blue, White Stripes, Convenience. The Tech seats are quite nice and I had no problems with them on track. If I wanted to go hardcore track mode with a roll-bar, I'd take even the Recaro seats out anyway to get a 1 piece seat with hole for the sub-belt. So better I get the fancy seats again.

mattlqx said:
Grabber Blue, White Stripes, Convenience. The Tech seats are quite nice and I had no problems with them on track. If I wanted to go hardcore track mode with a roll-bar, I'd take even the Recaro seats out anyway to get a 1 piece seat with hole for the sub-belt. So better I get the fancy seats again.
All in all probably the least costly way to get it done. Grabber blue is a great color and one I would have likely ordered if available in 2016. When do you expect delivery? Are you just going to swap your resonator delete mid-pipe over to the new one or take a different route with the exhaust? Congrats and looking forward to pics when you get it.

mattlqx

Mustangless
cloud9 said:
All in all probably the least costly way to get it done. Grabber blue is a great color and one I would have likely ordered if available in 2016. When do you expect delivery? Are you just going to swap your resonator delete mid-pipe over to the new one or take a different route with the exhaust? Congrats and looking forward to pics when you get it.

They don't start making them until June, so probably July or August, assuming a first quarter allocation. I really don't know. I was just happy to get another order in at sticker.

I probably won't bother with swapping the cat-back. If the mood strikes me, it wasn't so bad to do again.

mattlqx

Mustangless
mattlqx said:
Well, I took my first step to remedying the transmission temperature problem...

I ordered a 2017.

It's a bit of a large hammer, but taking the mulligan will allow me to get Grabber Blue and put a clear-bra on it before driving it at all (my big mistake with my current 350). For that consideration and the coolers, it's easier just to do buy another one. I wish they rolled the 2016s out smarter in the first place, but it is what it is and it's still an amazing car that I can't imagine another model from another manufacturer replacing its place in my heart.

It has come to pass. Traded cars today. Actually am going to have the cat-back swapped by them since it's an easy operation that allows me to keep the resonator delete. I'm loving CarPlay so far in the 25 miles I drove it home in (and the extreme monsoon that I drove through too, weather drive mode FTW).

gt350s.jpg

mattlqx

Mustangless
mattlqx said:
They don't start making them until June, so probably July or August, assuming a first quarter allocation. I really don't know. I was just happy to get another order in at sticker.

I probably won't bother with swapping the cat-back. If the mood strikes me, it wasn't so bad to do again.

Lucked the F out! It was built 6/14, arrived at dealer 7/15, delivered 7/18. I hope I never have to order another Ford again until they fix their ill-communicative system.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel