The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Technical coil overs question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I have always read/been told that coil overs are better than upgraded shocks and springs. My question is: why? If you have regular mono tube struts and shocks with the same damping rates as a certain coil over kit, non-progressive springs with the same spring rates and you couple these with upgraded shock mounts and c/c plates, would you get the same performance as that coil over kit or there's something different in the construction of coil overs? Is there a benefit to having the shock and spring acting in the same direction in the back? I'm sorry if this has been asked before - I couldn't find anything. Be as detailed as you'd like or if you know a good article, a link to it would be great! Thanks in advance!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
domesticpower said:
I have always read/been told that coil overs are better than upgraded shocks and springs. My question is: why? If you have regular mono tube struts and shocks with the same damping rates as a certain coil over kit, non-progressive springs with the same spring rates and you couple these with upgraded shock mounts and c/c plates, would you get the same performance as that coil over kit or there's something different in the construction of coil overs? Is there a benefit to having the shock and spring acting in the same direction in the back? I'm sorry if this has been asked before - I couldn't find anything. Be as detailed as you'd like or if you know a good article, a link to it would be great! Thanks in advance!

You should find your answer here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/coilovers/Part_1/

-Pete

That's an awesome read, albeit pretty technical. Seems like the biggest point for coil-over's is the adjustability that comes with being able to change the springs out, that and the difference in size that allows you to run bigger tires and what not is also a plus.

Great find now if I can find a couple of hours to read it all.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I think you'll need more than a couple of hours to read it all and part 2.

Thanks for the post! still going through it lol.

isrboss

For the average track day goer, simply spring design, ride height adj. and weight savings.

isrboss said:
For the average track day goer, simply spring design, ride height adj. and weight savings.
that and if you aren't at the level to drive a car with nice coilovers they will be a waste of money, IMO.

TMO Supporting Vendors