The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tell me if I'm reading my tire data correctly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just want to see how all of you would react after seeing this data from a track session. I realize it's just one set but humor me! This was at Pocono (Grand Course) running clockwise like NASCAR using both turn 1 (moderate banking) and the tunnel turn 2 (mild banking). It's a three mile lap using multiple infield sections in between so there are slow, tight areas as well as fast sweepers onto and off the oval. I started with camber set about -3.4

Pocono Grand Course 5/16/21
Low 70's with mostly clouds
BFG R1S 315/18's square
25 min session
Data taken after returning to paddock
Temps using Joe's Pyrometer

LF and RF tires: 28 psi cold
LR and RR tires: 26 psi cold

LF hot: 34.8 O/Mid/In: 118/125/128 (reduced neg camber)
RF hot 35.6 O/Mid/In: 133/130/125
LR hot: 34.5 O/Mid/In: 140/146/126 (dropped pressure 1psi)
RR hot 33.0 O/Mid/In: 125/132/126 (dropped pressure 1psi)

Unfortunately I don't have any data following the adjustments as it started to rain after a couple of hot laps and I slowly returned to the paddock. Front end felt more responsive in right hand turns so the camber drop may have increased traction across the whole tire surface.

Thoughts on temps/pressures and what I did?

What were your hot target pressures?

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, if you would like CC me in the originals if you have tire questions

Last edited:
What were your hot target pressures?
Maybe this is my problem. I don't really look to hit a specific hot number for the most part. I typically start with 24-26 pounds cold (unless track/ambient is really cold then I up that a couple pounds) then I adjust based on temps across the tire. I'm usually around 33-35 hot and that's where I keep it. The recommended pressures by the manufacturer seem way too high but I've never ventured to try going there and maybe I should?? I have done this with both the DOT's and Pirelli DH take-offs.

Well, it's very difficult to determine what your hots really are unless you can grab them on pit lane. I've seen the PSI go up on Porsches because the brakes were heat soaking the tires right in front of me, I've also seen the opposite. So a buddy is almost a pre requisite.
A bunch of info here, on the bottom one leads to 2 more links.
Look those over, and we'll talk.
Your tire temps are no where near high, but that could be because of the drive through the paddock,

TMO Supporting Vendors