The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

temperature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had 3days with the LS and and I love it. The question is how hot should it run at. it's always between 200 and 220 and this is on the street. When on the track it's going to get hotter so what is a safe temp?

Boss Ls said:
I have had 3days with the LS and and I love it. The question is how hot should it run at. it's always between 200 and 220 and this is on the street. When on the track it's going to get hotter so what is a safe temp?

Mine runs the same temps and I was a little concerned about the temps too the first couple of days I drove it. I've been told that it's normal and not to worry about it. If you get it too hot, it will go into limp mode until it cools off. There have been several that have gotten it hot enough to go into limp mode on the track and haven't had any problems after it cooled down. Just not too happy about the overheating deal. :-\

One of the characteristics of the FR9 Nascar motor I thought I read about was that it could run hot better than the previous version and better than the competition could under similar circumstances. That would ultimately allow it to get to the finish line before blowing more often. I wonder if any of that technology found its way into the Boss 5.0?

The thing that strikes me is that the Boss was fitted with heavy duty radiator and cooling system, so why it would go into limp mode at the track at all mystifies me.

While the technology used in Coyote is derivative of the 302R, it's not the same set up, right?
I'm guessing limp mode is an insurance policy Ford took out to keep from replacing motors.

STIG302 said:
While the technology used in Coyote is derivative of the 302R, it's not the same set up, right?
I'm guessing limp mode is an insurance policy Ford took out to keep from replacing motors.
Bingo. It's there to keep you from damaging your motor. I ran really hard at Hastings today and the highest I hit was 242 and that was late in a 30 minute session with 86F ambient. It won't go into limp mode until 250. A Porsche Carrerra had to pull off because he was running too hot.

thanks for the info. back in the olden days I tryed to keep the temp under 210 during track time, things have changed.

cloud9 said:
STIG302 said:
Bingo. It's there to keep you from damaging your motor. I ran really hard at Hastings today and the highest I hit was 242 and that was late in a 30 minute session with 86F ambient. It won't go into limp mode until 250. A Porsche Carrerra had to pull off because he was running too hot.
That seems like pretty good cooling performance to me. I feel much better now.

If you want your car to run cooler .Cut out where the dummy lights are and put in screens.Run distilled water with water wetter or similar product.
As long you don’t let your car freeze you are all set with the distilled water.This will let you run 10 −15 degrees cooler.

Boss Ls said:

Mark from Ford Racing said the Boss is designed to run at 250.

Fat Boss said:
Boss Ls said:

Mark from Ford Racing said the Boss is designed to run at 250.
It’s true I’ve only had it go into limp mode one time at MAM when ECT hit 250 and I threw a temp light, but whether there’s no cooling issue is debatable. There was a racer/instructor that posted up he went into limp mode at PPIR (Colorado) last weekend when ambient was 95F. He would get about 3-4 laps before going limp. He even blew some coolant once. He said most of the cars were struggling though with that temp. There's another guy who posted over at TMS that he and 2 other LSs struggled with 105F temps at Buttonwillow this weekend:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/trackday-buttonwillow-105-degrees-497440/

Anyway, here’s an interesting comment from Jim Reische who came across this in their testing of the new t-stat for the 5.0:

“The stock thermostat is a 180° but these new systems read the head temperature directly which was typically around 8-10° hotter than the actual coolant temp in our tests. This means that a vehicle using our 170° thermostat will run somewhere between 178-200° according to the OEM sensor, depending upon conditions and fan settings.”

If this is true, it makes more sense and maybe our cars aren't running as high of ECT as our gauges show. My car just keeps running strong even into the 240s. I wonder if what is being pulled as ECT on my Aeroforce gauge through OBDII is actually CHT?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
There was a racer/instructor that posted up he went into limp mode at PPIR (Colorado) last weekend when ambient was 95F. He would get about 3-4 laps before going limp. He even blew some coolant once.

Car is at the dealer now for this issue as well as the transmission leaking. On the cooling, they could not reproduce (duh!) and said that there were no stored codes or indication of overheating stored. It did trip the light 2 times (red coolant light), but only briefly. Car only went into limp the first session where it actually blew some coolant. I ran the car at about 8/10ths with the time trials group. TTA could be in trouble if I can ever get more than 2-3 laps out of this thing ;)

Funny thing (or not really) is that the next day, I checked the coolant level when the car was stone cold and it was WAY overfull. I drained it (turkey basters rock!) and now it is at the recommended cold level. I've since added a bottle of water wetter (which changed the color of the coolant from red to a manly pink!) and drilled out the 200 holes in the fog light area.

Was planning on running a lapping day at HPR on Friday, but no word on the tranny leak yet :mad:

STIG302 said:
Coyote = 5.0L "GT"
RoadRunner = BOSS 302 & 302R (ported heads and a few other little changes in the heads).

You could say the BOSS' RoadRunner engine is a derivative of the Coyote.

please let us know on the leak. Mine is leaking and I would like to know if I can fix it myself. I will be on vacation for two weeks so I have time to fix itwhen I get back

JScheier said:
Boss Ls said:
please let us know on the leak.

Link to my woes
Oh man what a PITA. I wondered what you meant about getting your car back on the other forum. Well hopefully you're back on the road soon. This whole transmission thing is weird. Mine's been perfect (knock on wood) and I've tested it HARD 6 days and 1000 miles on the track already, not to mention another 2500 street miles. We went through the same thing on the GT500 when it came out and that was with a "bulletproof" Tremec 6060. I had my trans replaced on a TSB and my clutch twice. Some cars had issues and others didn't. Mine was just showing some early symptoms so I went ahead and had the TSB replacements done while I was still under warranty. I'm confident Ford will take care of you ultimately, it's just a hassle when you have to wait it out.

TMO Supporting Vendors