Temporary paint protection

Discussion in 'The Detailers Corner' started by byronj, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Nvrfinished

Nvrfinished TMO Advanced

I haven't had a problem with the roof line. I've gotten a few nice rubber marks up there, but those have cleaned off. The area of my hood that has suffered from chips is just above the headlights. My clear bra runs down the lower side of the car just below the crease in the lower door line and ends behind the rear tire. It's done a good job, but I should have run it up on the shoulders in front of the rear tire.

My windshield looks like it has been through a sand storm though. I'm thinking about trying some glass polishing compound to see if it improves it.

2. cholmes1

cholmes1 Charles

Can anyone comment on how this works with our vinyl stripes? Given that the stripes are already pretty weak, I would hate to peel them up by accident

3. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

I put on two coats and it was a pain to get off with high pressure cold water. I finally could get it to peel back enough to get my fingers underneath the layer, enabling me to pull off in sheets. Bit of work to get off the vehicle but protected my carbon fiber hood quite well. Water soluble so I would imagine it might work okay on tape ,but the concern would be it needed a strong force of water to get it going and there could be the risk the pressure could peel it back. My thought would are the stickiness of the product could adhere initially , so some risk it could peel tape with it? Interesting product I would possibly use again , but definitely not coat as much of my car as I did the first time around.

4. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

Two coats is what's recommended and that's what I used. It didn't come off as easily as I thought but it wasn't that bad either. I did not apply it over the hood stripes but I did use it over a Boss Registry vinyl decal with not issues. I peeled it up and it didn't affect any of the small lettering. I only used watering hose water from the spigot and a plastic edge scrapper to carefully catch the edge of the film. Took me less than ten minutes to get it all off. Bill did put it on more of his hood and roof than I and I'm sure it took longer.

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  5. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Thanks Tyme. The Carbon Fiber was a bit of a chore to get started and at one point I wondered if it would come off. Painted surfaces were not bad, but good to hear from the Slayer about his stripes , since that was your initial concern.

6. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Good news. I have some on order.

Got to keep the kids looking like new.