Tesla Owners Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Track Cars and Other Cars Forum' started by VoodooBoss, Jul 3, 2017.

1. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Just curious if there are any Tesla owners on TMO and if so how has your ownership experience been so far? I'm on the list to buy a Model 3 for my wife but it will be the end of 2018 until it's produced.

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 1.22.02 PM.png

2. u00mem9

u00mem9 TMO Intermediate

I have a 2016 S60 (rwd)...now upgraded to 75.

I bought it almost exclusively for the autopilot function. I've driven it 32k miles in a year, and no issues so far. Having the car drive and acting as supervisor is worth the price of entry.

I wouldn't trust Elon musk and his den any further than I could throw them, but the car is amazing. If you haven't done a test drive yet, I'd do that as it will answer most questions and you will get the scene. Life with the gas pump at your house is about the only major bonus not obvious in a test drive.

Grant 302 likes this.
  3. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $205,706 Moderator

Interesting, coming from an owner!

4. VoodooBoss

@u00mem9 thanks for posting your experience. I work with a couple of S owners and one has a 2013 and he has some issues early on. I'm still a bit suspect on the quality but my M3 will be about the 400,000 produced so they will have time to resolve early issues. I'm big on the future of electric cars and think adoption here in CA will accelerate over the next few years and probably quicker than most expect.

5. u00mem9

u00mem9 TMO Intermediate

Yeah, there are a few things that are a little rough for the price class, especially interior items. The fact that the battery is 1000+lbs in the floor really makes the car stay flat in corners and ride really well. And the car owns stoplights effortlessly!

I have the first gen autopilot hardware, and it's pretty rock solid. It depended on an outside vendor's system for the path plotting function and they have since introduced a 2nd gen system that uses in-house developed sensors and logic. So far (that system came out in October), they haven't reached parity with the previous system. I'm sure they will eventually, but the way it was handled made a few enemies. They misrepresented a major setback as the introduction of a better system, and we now know they were basically starting development from scratch.

Model 3 should be solid...I have had a chance to look over some of the development cars and they are basically a smaller model S without any of the silly mistakes of the model x. I'm not sure they will ever make a profit, be that's not our problem! ;)

6. VoodooBoss

Sounds like your in NorCal. I'm in Roseville and Tesla opened a store in Rocklin about three years ago. I've driven a P90D and was very impressed with the handling and acceleration. Plus I've ridden in the cars with my co-workers. There are at least three in my neighborhood but I don't know the owners and haven't talked to them. I like that they removed the "grille" and the updates they've made to the S over the past 4-5 years. I haven't checked out an X yet. I'm hoping Rocklin gets a M3 within the next couple of months so I can go check it out. Here in NorCal a Tesla sighting has become very routine. ;)

Here's a fun video.