Tesla Owners Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Track Cars and Other Cars Forum' started by VoodooBoss, Jul 3, 2017.

1. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Just curious if there are any Tesla owners on TMO and if so how has your ownership experience been so far? I'm on the list to buy a Model 3 for my wife but it will be the end of 2018 until it's produced.

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 1.22.02 PM.png

2. u00mem9

u00mem9 TMO Intermediate

I have a 2016 S60 (rwd)...now upgraded to 75.

I bought it almost exclusively for the autopilot function. I've driven it 32k miles in a year, and no issues so far. Having the car drive and acting as supervisor is worth the price of entry.

I wouldn't trust Elon musk and his den any further than I could throw them, but the car is amazing. If you haven't done a test drive yet, I'd do that as it will answer most questions and you will get the scene. Life with the gas pump at your house is about the only major bonus not obvious in a test drive.

Grant 302 likes this.
  3. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $265,852 Moderator

Interesting, coming from an owner!

4. VoodooBoss

@u00mem9 thanks for posting your experience. I work with a couple of S owners and one has a 2013 and he has some issues early on. I'm still a bit suspect on the quality but my M3 will be about the 400,000 produced so they will have time to resolve early issues. I'm big on the future of electric cars and think adoption here in CA will accelerate over the next few years and probably quicker than most expect.

5. u00mem9

u00mem9 TMO Intermediate

Yeah, there are a few things that are a little rough for the price class, especially interior items. The fact that the battery is 1000+lbs in the floor really makes the car stay flat in corners and ride really well. And the car owns stoplights effortlessly!

I have the first gen autopilot hardware, and it's pretty rock solid. It depended on an outside vendor's system for the path plotting function and they have since introduced a 2nd gen system that uses in-house developed sensors and logic. So far (that system came out in October), they haven't reached parity with the previous system. I'm sure they will eventually, but the way it was handled made a few enemies. They misrepresented a major setback as the introduction of a better system, and we now know they were basically starting development from scratch.

Model 3 should be solid...I have had a chance to look over some of the development cars and they are basically a smaller model S without any of the silly mistakes of the model x. I'm not sure they will ever make a profit, be that's not our problem! ;)

6. VoodooBoss

Sounds like your in NorCal. I'm in Roseville and Tesla opened a store in Rocklin about three years ago. I've driven a P90D and was very impressed with the handling and acceleration. Plus I've ridden in the cars with my co-workers. There are at least three in my neighborhood but I don't know the owners and haven't talked to them. I like that they removed the "grille" and the updates they've made to the S over the past 4-5 years. I haven't checked out an X yet. I'm hoping Rocklin gets a M3 within the next couple of months so I can go check it out. Here in NorCal a Tesla sighting has become very routine. ;)

Here's a fun video.

7. VoodooBoss

Model 3 specs announced:

Standard
    $35,000
    220 mile range
    5.6 0-60

Long Range
    $44,000
    310 mile range
    5.1 0-60

Too bad it's going to be my wife's car.

TymeSlayer likes this.
  8. mattlqx

mattlqx Mustangless

Plus another $8k on top of that if you want full autonomy (when it is eventually available). This car also won't come with supercharging if I'm not mistaken, so that would cost extra as well. The Model 3 will certainly be more affordable, but it will still be something of a luxury car for most people's budgets. Any color other than black will also cost an additional.

I've driven a Model S and was very impressed. I still would love to own one if it didn't mean I'd have to give up my track machine just to afford it.

----
    Premium Upgrades Package – $5,000 Upgraded interior with additional features and premium materials.
    • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
    • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
    • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
    • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
    • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
    • LED fog lamps
    • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
    Paint
    • Solid Black: Standard
    • Midnight Silver Metallic: $1,000
    • Deep Blue Metallic: $1,000
    • Silver Metallic: $1,000
    • Pearl White Multi-Coat: $1,000
    • Red Multi-Coat: $1,000
    Wheels
    • 18” Aero: Standard
    • 19” Sport: $1,500
    Enhanced Autopilot – $5,000 Model 3 will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway and self-park at your destination. Additional features will roll out over time through software updates.

Full Self-Driving Capability – $3,000 (requires Enhanced Autopilot) In the future, Model 3 will be capable of conducting trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. This feature is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary by jurisdiction.

9. VoodooBoss

Yep I was always planning on a $50k car. I've never looked at this as an economy car, just a less expensive and smaller S. My wife wants the smaller car so we'll wait it out. The Supercharging isn't a big deal as I expect to be charging it at home most of the time.

Where did you get the info above? I don't see it on Tesla's website.

10. Froggy47

Froggy47 TMO Advanced

If you enjoy moving thru traffic, safely passing almost every other car on the route, not being held up by left lane bandits, then is there a mode for that? If there is not a mode for that, this has to be a pretty awful boring way to get from a to b. Not being critical of those who enjoy this, just asking about the modes.

:)

11. mattlqx

mattlqx Mustangless

12. VoodooBoss

Sure there's a mode and living in CA I'm surprised you don't know this. ;)

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

I fully expect CA to extend the HOV lane access to only EV's before the end of 2018. This is a major consideration for me buying my wife an EV. Regardless of the performance specs this is not a performance car. It's an EV commuter car. Certainly won't be any more boring for my wife than her 2013 Fusion Titanium. Frankly I think this will be a great option from getting from point A to point B. Another consideration is my wife's desire to not have to go to a gas station to fill up. Imagine the convenience of plugging in your car overnight to charge it. She's very excited about that prospect.

@mattlqx thanks for the link!

13. Fat Boss

Fat Boss TMO Addict

I'm fully expecting to go full electric for my beater next year as well. The Energi has served me very, very well the past few years. I save at least an hour a day commuting to and from work.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  14. VoodooBoss

Sharing your experience over the years really caught my wife's attention. CalTrans finished a carpool lane for my wife's commute so this really will save her time.

15. Froggy47

Froggy47 TMO Advanced

I am usually passing the HOV drivers in the lanes for the peons. I think Kali is overselling the "convenience" of these "exclusive" lanes. But what really pizzes me off is when CALTRANS or whoever is responsible traps you in the HOV lane for 5-10 miles with double yellows.

Now really how STUPID is that!

:):eek:;)

16. VoodooBoss

Here's the specs to go with the pricing that Matt posted.

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
    Dimensions & Weight
    • Length: 184.8”
    • Width: 72.8” (76.1” with mirrors folded)
    • Height: 56.8”
    • Wheelbase: 113.2”
    • Track (wheel center): 62.2” front and rear
    • Ground clearance: 5.5”
    • Head room, standard: 39.6” front row, 37.7” second row
    • Head room, glass roof: 40.3” front row, 37.7” second row
    • Leg room: 42.7” front row, 35.2” second row
    • Shoulder room: 56.3” front row, 54.0” second row
    • Hip room: 53.4” front row, 52.4” second row
    • Seating capacity: 5 adults
    • Luggage capacity: 15 cubic feet
    • Curb weight:
      • 3549 lbs. (Model 3)
      • 3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
    • Weight distribution:
      • 47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
      • 48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)
    Body
    • Hybrid steel/aluminum body
    • Drag coefficient of 0.23
    Chassis
    • Double wishbone, virtual steer axis front suspension with coil over twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
    • Independent multi-link rear suspension with twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
    • Variable ratio, speed sensitive electronic power steering
    • Electromechanically boosted four wheel anti-lock disc brakes with electronic brake force distribution
    • 18” Aero or 19” Sport wheels with all-season tires
    Standard Accessories
    • 240 volt NEMA 14-50 adapter
    • 120 volt NEMA 5-15 adapter
    • J1772 public charging adapter
    • 20 foot mobile connector with storage bag

17. VoodooBoss

Tesla video of the day.