The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Texas info?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Fastfordnut said:
I'm visiting San Antonio to watch my son graduate BMT at Lackland AFB. Any recommendations for places to visit?

The usuals, Riverwalk & the Alamo....but make sure and hit the Tip Top cafe for the worlds best chicken fried steak! It's bigger than the plate they serve it on

That's pretty much it in the local SA area. If you have time to a take a drive, Fredericksburg is a cute German Town your wife will love. The Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood or Black's BBQ in Lockhart is a must visit for TX BBQ. Downtown SA has one of the best martini bars I've been to anywhere, called SOHO. Try the Creme Brûlée Martini, very unique and tasty, or the Man of War (not a true martini but a great drink).

Tucson302 said:
j7
The usuals, Riverwalk & the Alamo....but make sure and hit the Tip Top cafe for the worlds best chicken fried steak! It's bigger than the plate they serve it on
Boss2X said:
These are north of San Antonio, but the Nimitz Museum and the LBJ Ranch were decent to visit. (Like 50 miles North and West in Fredericksburg, TX.)

I have heard the SA Zoo is pretty good also, I haven't been there myself.
think we'll try the Alamo and Nimitz Museum followed by barbecue and then a martini for a night cap. But not all on the same day. Thanks for the ideas. Weathers nice here compared to NewEngland.

I am in Austin. On Saturday at the F1 track (best track in the world) EdgeAddicts is having an event where individuals can run their cars. There are typically Ferraris, McClarans, Porsche, and others. I am doing the event in March in my LS. Spectators are welcome. Also at the Austin convention center, Mecum is having a three day auction. Austin is an hour from San Antonio. If you go to the F1 track, you can drive on the highest speed limit road in the country, the 130 tollway. Limit is 85, most do 90.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Rickmustang said:
I am in Austin. On Saturday at the F1 track (best track in the world) EdgeAddicts is having an event where individuals can run their cars. There are typically Ferraris, McClarans, Porsche, and others. I am doing the event in March in my LS. Spectators are welcome. Also at the Austin convention center, Mecum is having a three day auction. Austin is an hour from San Antonio. If you go to the F1 track, you can drive on the highest speed limit road in the country, the 130 tollway. Limit is 85, most do 90.

Our Phoenix based driving club is hosting an event at COTA this spring and I am seriously considering making the trip and tracking my car. That track looks amazing!

Stay alert, and keep your eyes wide open, if your not careful you can walk right bye the Alamo & not realize it.
Great piece of history & some very brave & rugged individuals gave their lives for a belief that they could make a difference.
Hats off to the men of the Alamo!

GT390 said:
Stay alert, and keep your eyes wide open, if your not careful you can walk right bye the Alamo & not realize it.
Great piece of history & some very brave & rugged individuals gave their lives for a belief that they could make a difference.
Hats off to the men of the Alamo!
Very informative visit. Definitely a must-see for anyone in the San Antonio area. I was surprised at its location in relation to downtown and the number of fighters from many various states. Always thought it was more on the outskirts. Actual size of the original compound is much larger than any described in any history books I had in school. Very sobering/humbling site when you realize what the final days of battle must have been like, especially knowing its outcome. Those individuals should be classified as "the original greatest generation".

drano38

Wayne
Yep, someone could drive by the Alamo and not even know it.
Downtown area is fun, but most of it is for tourists.
I lived in San Antonio for 3 years on my last assignment (at Randolph AFB on the NE side of town) and only went to the river when family were in town.
Congrats on your son's graduation, and for his service.

TMO Supporting Vendors