The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 The Albuquerque Stripper - Mustang Nosegrind 720 Kickflip Champion Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Spent yesterday taking the tires on and off a good 6 or so times. Trying to run 27mm spacers and the 315 Nitto NT01 were hard up against the MCS strut.

View attachment 16169

Then took a 3hr round trip to grab some 25 and 5mm spacers, thinking I could clear with 30 and 32 potentially at my disposal. Long story short, the upper strut has an horizontal eyelet that allows for a little movement, and so I was taking the tire, caliper, and rotor off every time to get to that, loosen that high torque nut, and then loosen the Swaybar end link to give me a little freedom and wiggle room. I think I've got it cleared with the 27mm, but might as well run it at 30 for piece of mind. That, and got tired of the torque up and down, the hub which I thought I went over on is 251# and a special 36mm socket, those struts are a 24 to 185#, and the caliper bolt is 85#, so doing that like 6 times and twice for each side was tiring, and it was f'n hot out here yesterday.
View attachment 16170

My next concern is the G6000 slicks, which say 305, but stacked up, they were even bigger than these NT01.

First time I've really had these mounted and sitting on these springs, not as much poke with the tires as I would have expected, and since I'm just about the furthest from a stance works kinda guy, I really don't give a poop either.

View attachment 16171

If this ugly car wins, that's all that matters. Although, this fender gap reminds me of my SN95, good times. (My fists are man sized, unlike the President)
View attachment 16168

Still on track for the weekend, I hope. 9 days to go.
:D

Adjusting that bolt a few times probably brought about some colorful commentary. I know it would in my garage.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
:D

Adjusting that bolt a few times probably brought about some colorful commentary. I know it would in my garage.
Totally, my neighbors now know how many languages I'm fluent in.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I love it when my girls come out in the garage at the wrong time, hear something fly out of my mouth and quietly turn around and walk back inside.
giphy.gif

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
The JRI struts I run have spacers to move the bolt.camber in and out. Which struts do you have?
MCS. Running the 27 + 5 spacers just for piece of mind and I'll figure it out later. The eyelet on the top allows for some flexibility, so what I finally ended up doing was to loosen the top, and then wedge a 1/2 socket extension in the valley between the sides of the strut mounts, and lightly pushed against the upper mount until I could see the top horizontal bolt move. So now the hub face is about as far as it can be from the strut, and that'll just have to do.
You can see it hiding behind the wheel, and that little gap in the top was what was doing it.
15907067051562085580748485834275.jpg
Thankfully I got these OP R length studs which could let me go to like 51 of spacers, but I really hope it doesn't come to it, pushing the tires out that far is asking a lot of the bearing, no?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Thankfully I got these OP R length studs which could let me go to like 51 of spacers, but I really hope it doesn't come to it, pushing the tires out that far is asking a lot of the bearing, no?
I would not like to go that far with spacers.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
It's not going to win any beauty pageants, but I'm fine with that, it wasn't meant to do that. Gave it a good romp through 3 and it sounds ready. Brakes felt good, temps looked good, sounded fantastic, took it up to 6k and felt solid. Taking the night off, will get to the tuning tomorrow and fix the rear bumper so it doesn't get torn off.

Sounds good, yeah?

IMG_20200530_205714.jpg

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Which front end is that?

(i know gt350 but what brand)
Doesn't say, bought it from somebody. I'd guess MP Concepts because it's a straight copy, so you can't use your 18+ turn signal with integrated fog, instead you have to use the 15-17 shaped turn only. The 15-17 turn has a 3 pin connector with another 2 pin, and the 18+ has a different harness altogether. They have some $150ish aftermarket LED one that apparently comes with some other kits, but they don't mention a model number or manufacturer, and they're all using stock pictures and didn't mention anything about the harness, so I stopped caring. I didn't pursue it much further because turn signals aren't required on the track, just using these for structural rigidity as the bumper doesn't use any of the stock support pieces, relying greatly on the lower mesh and turn signal for it, so going without makes it a flimsy mess. It's not all that great, with the plastic not wanting to fully snap into place, perhaps because of the paint being too thick on the front, but the backside is just poor quality.

1590933482084.png
I've found their manufacturer, Hentury, but I was told to just buy it from American Muscle "bro", as they must have an US-exclusive relationship. They didn't want to talk further when I tried to mention Mexico either.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Got it back from the alignment shop, where it's been hiding out for the last day or so. Literally.

101109521_286021389103898_1465215399493322663_n.jpg

Started it off with the GT350R track specs, which was do-able everywhere except the rear, because duh, I don't have adjustable upper control arms out back. While there, I also got it weighed, and pretty happy with that I came in just over 3400 with the cage and about 1/8 tank. That has me at a 52/48 F/R balance, and with me in it, it's more like 54/46. There is still some weight left on the front, but if I'm looking at ST2 and 8:1 with that weight would then have my average rwhp at just above 425rwhp. Considering that it has longtubes, 3" o/r exhaust, and an e85 tune, and that the 18+ dynoed at a peak of 415rwhp in stock form, there's a good amount of power there, especially in the hands of somebody decently capable like Shaun at AED. Things like running with R7's further penalize and complicate things, but I guess that's going to be all the fun in setups, that, and I have to actually drive it to its potential at some point too.

81642496_567678904142083_1440947222311515920_n.jpg

Speed Ventures got rejected by San Bernardino which means that shakedown run at Auto Club Speedway will have to come at another track, another time, pretty bummed. Also said no to the Friday/Saturday/Sunday at Laguna, this thing's too loud for that. Oh well, perhaps it's time to relax for a touch.

This place is a much welcomed escape from our ugly reality where my mind can freely wander, and so for what it's worth, thanks to all of you who've been sharing your experiences across the forums here, and unbeknownst to you, I've silently consulted and consumed them in their entirety. As you can tell from the shoddy workmanship, I don't have any real idea of what I'm doing, but all of you make it look so easy. Thanks to you following this too, encouraging me to spend money I shouldn't be spending.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Alright, couldn't leave well enough alone, ripped the AC out too. Off to grab some plugs and then it's done for the weekend. I think.

IMG_20200606_011018.jpg

I keep looking at this part of the interior and thinking it needs to go. Must. Resist.

IMG_20200604_183918.jpg

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Today was a big day, another goal accomplished, getting it on the track.
IMG_20200613_082934.jpg
@67GTA and I set up camp near the end and did pretty good despite something like 40 cars in HPDE3/4. First session didn't feel like 20 minutes, and while I'm familiar with CW13, I wasn't familiar with the car. I think my ride height was a little too far up, but first session I also hadn't dialed my tires in just yet. Was keeping time with a Viper ACR which felt kinda cool. First session with the car, aero, camber, and the brakes, and it packs an awful lot of punch despite the very short straight. Second session I messed up and didn't turn the traction control fully off, and feeling a little better about the suspension, was fighting it the while time like an idiot.
Nothing broke and I was starting to feel pretty good about it... then...
IMG_20200613_152853.jpg
... How in the hell does that happen? Bolt just snapped off. Initially thought it was the battery, then the alternator, but yeah, the starter. With the copper wire in its place, the thing kicks it into high gear with this high pitched whine. So we just pulled it, figuring we could push start it, which worked, giving me another day and a crack at CW25 which is a config I have not yet enjoyed, and with the power this should have, should really fly down the back straight, so can't wait.

Thanks to @67GTA for also being the stripper's first date, first of many, I hope. Also had a great neighbor in Oli Thordarson, dude is fast.
IMG_20200613_111546.jpg

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Switched on the G-Loc R16 today and enjoying stopping on a dime, doing the CW25 configuration here which has a long back straightaway and came into Riverside at closer to 160. Not bragging, just sharing that, which then makes for a nice segue to this picture.
IMG_20200614_122956_047.jpg
Yeah, now that we've fixed the starting problem by push starting, I just had to rip the bumper off. It's one of the original pieces left from the original owner, so I'm running out of excuses now. Popped the race tune on, and that makes some good power, now need to just log silver more time with the suspension and dial it in with the adjustables.

IMG_20200614_153525.jpg

It's also too damn hot outside, got to be even hotter on the track, and now turning the full traction control off, I'm getting comfy letting the end rotate in this car. So one session left here today, but really happy with what I've been able to accomplish so far, and now it's all that fun seat time, trying to learn how to harness this monster we've created.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Keep it up. I like reading about others spending money they shouldn't for their road course mustangs. I really enjoy it. Lol
The spending of my money? You and my ex have something in common :) Thanks, and I definitely will, this thing is a blast.

What a great weekend!! Thanks @PaddyPrix for sharing your shade and the first dance!

Now the rest of you fellow TMOer’s don’t be too jealous, but here’s the first “selfie” with the stripper in her natural element!

View attachment 17497
Haha, and I'll do just about anything to make sure it's the first of many. Thanks again for the help on Saturday, which led to Sunday not being a total waste. The track was super crowded all weekend with this being one of the first events after the Covid-19 rules and bans, Despite us setting up camp way out back, had a good number of passerby stop to chat, and even a few of the Touring Championship guys as we were right next to their official scales.

Other than Steeda, there are no winners in HPDE, but I got a couple good clips out of Sunday's Shenanigans. Buttonwillow has an impossibly short straight, and despite getting too close and sacrificing loads of exit speed, still managed to pass 5 down the stretch, even if it was a mixed bunch of e30, Honda Challenge and Miatas.

I've been working out, trying to lose weight, and get this thing ready. They call it a shakedown run, and I think the car took it quite literally, whereas it shook the Starter out on Saturday, and on Sunday, uh, shook the rear bumper off.

Considering what could have happened with such an unknown quantity, and where it stands like 4 months later, I honestly couldn't be happier, and while my professional opinion might not mean much, this thing shows a lot of promise. I would have given it two thumbs up, but as I also needed to hold the wheel, one will just have to do for now.
Jun-13-2020-Nasa (Sat)-HPDE 3 and 4-Turn Exit 925am-BW3_6861_0938_Jun1320_CaliPhoto.jpg
edit - upon further inspection, I actually gave it two thumbs up, this was on the cooldown lap :D

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors