The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 The Albuquerque Stripper - Mustang Nosegrind 720 Kickflip Champion Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Back from 3 days at Buttonwillow, lots of track time, high temperatures, part failures, and escaped without any major incidents, which was nice.
IMG_20200724_081108.jpg
Went up Thursday night because it's a 5 or so hour drive with a fuel and food stop along the way, and tried to start things off fresh and rested. It was real nice having the track to mostly myself, allowing me to really feel the grip and try some various approaches but given the price tag, I wonder if I'd do it again. As they didn't have any timing running, I was having to rely on Track Addict, which in my pants, somehow was useless on half the time, either swept over to segment mode, or the GPS detection of the start/finish was off. The GoPro Hero 8 Black is in some sort of funk, as it says the GPS is on, but both Quik and Race Render are acting all silly, so nothing super helpful there. Yet. Had some real terrible time handling some sections, and a really strange near miss that had done more than throw me for a loop.

IMG_20200729_164110_441.jpg

Went over to 7's Only and hung out with Tom and of all the crazy sizes they have for jamb nuts, just my luck, they didn't have any of the 7/16 right handed ones that I've donated to the track. The heat certainly stays on the track, with most days being 103-105 past track close, hard to really get some good times, especially as the Nitto NT01's were getting down to the last 2/32" dimple.
IMG_20200728_103144.jpg
Saturday had me sitting somewhat consistent at 2 flat, and as the heat increased and day went on, I was slipping another half second or so, but started playing with the MCS 2-way compression and think I've got it where I want it. Most people felt like they were 3-5 seconds off their usual pace, which felt about right. TMO had a good showing out there, got to put some faces to names, and with most of us in the Red and Black groups, had some fun lead/follow sessions.
Red Group - Sweeper (Session 1) - BW3_4825_11_Jul2520_CaliPhoto.jpg
Not sure how much longer the cheap Chinese MP Concepts front bumper has in it. The lower grille has fallen off somewhere, the top grille barely connects, and now the side clips are wearing thin. I guess you get what you pay for, but shame that the GT350 and GT500 both have the 15-17 hood, fender, and fascia design. Since I'm going to start blocking things off and working on aero, I guess I might as well make the switch.

Hopefully San Bern doesn't get in the way of Auto Club in a few weeks, because it's been far too long for some of us, and on a power track like that, can't wait to see what this thing can hit. In the ol' 19, I'd hit 7/8 at 115-120 and 145 in the straight, I'll definitely put some more on the straight, but don't know if I have enough balls or pants to take 7/8 much too much faster than that.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Catching up on quite a bit and WOW just WOW Paddy. I want to grow younger and be you when I de-age. Awesome stuff. Hopefully get my pile back up and running soon. Will definitely try to catch an event or two or three with you.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
😏 just saw all the "tags" you set for this thread @PaddyPrix ... 😆 Nice.
A long time ago, I made a good amount of moneys because I could always SEO higher than the people who made the product. I'd bet not touching it for a decade I'm still #1 in Google on plenty of Mustang parts.

1596128739785.png

It'd seem that you and I need to talk about the commission/revenue sharing structure here man.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Catching up on quite a bit and WOW just WOW Paddy. I want to grow younger and be you when I de-age. Awesome stuff. Hopefully get my pile back up and running soon. Will definitely try to catch an event or two or three with you.
For sure man, I'll be out there, trying my hardest to make up for what seems to be a decade of track time that I've lost. Sold my beloved 98 Cobra a few weeks ago, so many memories both good and bad just thinking about it... and as much as I'd love to execute on the dreams I had for it, it just didn't make sense anymore; The Stripper is easily 10x the car and 85% there.

Speaking of that, made a few front-end SPL purchases through one of our site sponsors yesterday, with some front lower control arms and tension rods to lighten up some of the load, get my geometry spot on, and perhaps get a few more degrees of camber. In speaking with Jason, it'd seem that either I have a factory freak, and not in a good way. So as I sit, I'm about negative 2.7 camber in the front, 7.5 degrees caster, and a 1/8 toe out in the front. Looking at the Vorshlag plate for the driver side, the MCS strut hat is dead center, with the strut eyelets having that hub pushed out as far as they go, and a set of 25 and 7mm spacers to clear the 18x11's. Same setup on the passenger side (duh), except the strut nub is slammed to the inside edge. In fact, so far that it's made a slight groove in the metal, and popped the MCS adjustment knob off. We all know that Quality is Job #1 (duh) but it'd seem that on the s550 Mustangs, the subframes weren't always bolted up spot on. According to him, it was something that'd happen frequently, but not as badly, and as the run went on further, the likelihood of it decreased, but the severity increased. 🙄

Since I've got perhaps a trackday left in these, might as well make the switch to scrub slicks for cheaper fun, but boy howdy, those 305/680/18 slicks are wider than the 315's currently on it. SoCal track days right now are all triple digits, why would I spend 1200 on a set when I can run a set of scrub slicks for 500?

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
A long time ago, I made a good amount of moneys because I could always SEO higher than the people who made the product. I'd bet not touching it for a decade I'm still #1 in Google on plenty of Mustang parts.

View attachment 57022

It'd seem that you and I need to talk about the commission/revenue sharing structure here man.
Ahhh, the good old days of SEO hacking - I spent quite a bit of time working on that myself. I miss those times. Now if only there were a good way to monetize "great grandparent taxidermy" here on the site LOL!

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Awh man, the Autosport Labs Race Capture Pro is so dang cool.

http://instagr.am/p/CDSpiIxFJLj/
So far, just pulling the default OBD values and will have to go through some CAN resources to get the rest, but the data analytics and data science nerd in me ... awh man.

giphy.gif

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Got some SPL Front Lower Control Arms and Tension Rods, tossed them on, along with a set of Pirelli DH slicks.

IMG_20200809_163419_430.jpg

Should have read the instructions thoroughly before starting on things, as I didn't have a 1/2" Allen wrench in my possession as most sets stop at 10mm and 3/8". Got the massive front toe out down to something semi neutral looking. The stock control arm and rods weigh in at 22.2 pounds according to my bathroom scale, dang.

My local Discount Tire joint did the mounting of my tires, and I considered throwing it through the window like the commerical shows. My gauge showed one well past 60#, with the others around 35#, and considering each set mounted sets me back $80, and a machine is about $1200, my break even is after my 15th set. Curious if anybody else has thought about doing it themselves.

Auto Club Speedway next weekend, can't wait to return after almost a year hiatus from it, but wunderground showing 102 and 105 for this upcoming weekend, ugh.

Oh well, at least my Flyers are the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference 🏒

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
So got those SPL arms and rods in, and somewhat doubting the people I previously had dial my suspension in, headed on over to WWR since I had Friday off and let him perform his magic. Much more aggressive stance on the front and rear, taking a little bit from Jason at Vorshlag, and Will at WWR to get it at a place I'm likely to stay for a bit. Unloaded the car Friday night at the track and took some Instagram pictures (LOMFG LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BRO) all alone at the track. Realizing that I'm a grown ass man who's too old for that shiznit, I went out to acquire some Plastic Weld because as Terry @Fair has pointed out, the 15+ bumper tab system just flippin' sucks, and they changed it with the 18+ system to be equally, if not more terrible. So, spent friday night doing that.
Foreshadowing! DUH!
BUY MY MERCH BRO!
download_20200815_211136.jpg

So, bumped into @67GTA first thing in the morning, and yeah, it was like 95 degrees by 8am or so. Forecast was right, it was going to be hot. First session out, took it easy and pulled like a 1:54 which was my PB, but this car is so much lighter and better prepared, it was the most disappointing PB I've ever had.

... then, well, the Albuquerque Stripper did it's thing, y'know, breaking young boy's parts.

IMG_20200815_100738.jpg

That's after I straightened it up too, that was even higher, and miraculously, the bottom portion of the bumper was cracked and just a millimeter from the tire, but not a single wear line/groove in it. Getting equally creative and sunburned, took a page from the Corvette playbook and called in some wood.

IMG_20200815_103747_702.jpg
IMG_20200815_105304.jpg

Which, all things considered, looks like it'll at least make it through Sunday's session. I've got the stock bumper from the previous life, but it has a bunch of goofy holes cut into it for the Roush side scoops that it previously held that I don't much care for. So, looked good. I also was going out with a half tank, but the 14 degree banking and the long left turns were making fuel cutout a problem, so that kinda ruined some of my times, boo.

IMG_20200815_111511.jpg

Then it got hot, like, 115 degrees hot.

20415579_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.jpg

So, added some more fuel to start around 2/3 - 3/4 a tank hoping that I'd avoid that slosh and have enough for the end of the session, and got caught up in some traffic for most of the run since I was in the upper 3rd. Forgot to bleed some air out of the tires which had them at or above 45# (!!!1!1) and was still rewarded with my first entry in the 1:40's, which yeah, had me high five somebody. Despite having such high, high heat, and high tire pressures, nice.

Screenshot_20200815-121804.png

So, that was real nice.

Then the 3rd session happened, and I hit the 7/8 section full send, decided that even more send was necessary. I hit 7 at like 125 or so, tapped the berm a bit, and came back the 8 pretty hard. How hard? This hard.

89873255_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.jpg

So, more weight savings coming my way. (yay)

So, I took the black flag/meatball and came off before things got worse, that was an easy tear-off, and got ready for the 4th, which came much later with some dingus EXITING HIS CAR.

That run kinda sucked, because now the hood started flapping on the right side, which is why I couldn't break 150 on the straight, with it lifting 2 inches. Called that a short session, and with Tom's genius ideas made a run to Harbor Freight... stay tuned for tomorrow's update to see what that might be.
unless I somehow die, in which case, it's rivnuts. We drilled the hood where the screw busted, and put in a 1/4" rivnut, which, apparently didn't work. Like, at all. Hopefully, it as a totally sweet crash, and makes like, Youtube clip of the day or something. If not, oh well, it was nice knowing all of you, speak well about me.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Stopped by the Cali Photography booth and got this video of the full send lap, which I just can't stop laughing at.

http://instagr.am/p/CD-YMZiFvYq/
Sunday was something like Saturday, just as hot, except this time, armed with a rivnut gun, the front hood was fastened down and stopped flapping around in the wind . Oh, but do you know what was?
(Segue!)

Yeah, you guessed it, the other side of the bumper, as that tab decided to call it quits too. So, I begged @67GTA to loan me another block of wood, and after a run to Home Depot, it was Hammertime.

914488271_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.jpg

Just kidding, Hammertime? What kind of idiot do you take me for? Besides, I was using machine screws on this race car.

So, ready for the 3rd run, I took my #1 spot, aaaand in my rush to the store and shoddy woodshopping, forgot to put a race jug of gas back in. Fuel starvation problems on banked left turns are frigging real, even at/above 1/3 a tank. On the outlap, starved the engine on the banking, coasted around until it'd level off again, and came back in to toss some gas in. Went back out, and ..

001950202_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.jpg

friggin caught something on the apron going back out, puncturing the tire and ended my day and weekend.

535427414_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.jpg

I'm a good sport though, laughed the whole way home though, I mean, who in the hell does this? Well, I do. I do this.

339415289_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.jpg

Unable to load with it on, the grinder came out, and it is here that we say goodbye to the secondhand MP Concepts (American Muscle) 2018+ knockoff GT350 bumper.

So quick weekend recap, lost the passenger bumper side tab, passenger side skirt, driver bumper side tab, fixed the hood flopping down with rivnuts, lost a tire. In this cloud's silver lining, I did get a great alignment, and managed to pull a sub 1:50 run, followed by plenty of other 1:50s right on its heels. Excuse time, I was a little rusty having not been there in almost a year, and this is its 3rd official outing, so still playing with the setup. You can see with some of the bouncing in the videos coming shortly, the compression was up just a tad too much, but since it kept breaking from run to run, I had to address those instead of the setup. In a few months from now, it'll be mid 80's again, and those 20-30 degrees cooler should give me a better feeling about how competitive this might be when comparing to the rest of the local NASA region's finest. I think it's got a chance, but I'm one of those optimistic jerks who think they can squeeze lemonade out of lemons. I guess only time will tell.

It looks as if the GoPro Hero 8 has changed some of its data formatting, because I've had nothing but problems with RaceRender and GoPro's Quik, so apologies I don't have any cool overlays, but did upload a few videos to the Youtube for your aural pleasures.
Get it? AURAL PLEASURE?
So here's the front-facing Saturday where I pulled the 1:49 off on the 2nd full lap, with the hood dancing up and down.

and here's the rear-facing which came from the GoPro 7 of the tail end of that session, having fun with some traffic. Apologies for the glare, I'll put some bath mats down or something.

I don't think they're reading it, but also thanks to my unpaid pit crew and cheerleaders of Tom, Bob, Chris, Andrew, Jeff, Brian, and Chad. I wouldn't have made it through this weekend without their assistance.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Wasn't there so see you got a puncture, that sucks! Were these the ones near dead anyways?
Yeah, pretty much, the wear bubbles turned to dimples, but the wear looked nicely distributed across, so they might have had just another track day in them at most. Digging the idea of running some ol' scrubs much more than what I was doing last year around this time, replacing a set of Cup 2's what seemed to be every other weekend.

Ran the 4th fastest time of the weekend, which was kinda cool, but man, wish I wasn't breaking down and running to Home Depot so frequently, I would have loved to see that 200mph Miata.
1597874649881.png

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Holy moly Batman! Sub 1:00 lap time?!?! I would love to watch (ride passenger???) that
Haha, I'm pretty sure that was a typo from uploading their sheets, and the speed is an auto-calculation of the time over the fixed distance. That said, 2:01.0 is a really fast for Miata considering how many straightaways ACS has that do them little/no good.

1597942660570.png

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Further decompressing from the other weekend, TMO had a pretty good showing, and apologies to Chad, who was stationed right outside of us.

IMG_20200816_081118.jpg

With exception to the Corvette that blew up, I believe we did the most damage both to the groups, as well as to our cars.

Not much got done this weekend with the temperatures being pretty high, and the Indy 500 complete with 7 stoppages. I did play with and test fit in this 8" Amazon Fire Tablet in, and did all the hacking nerdery to make it accept Race Capture Pro. Right now it's connecting via Bluetooth, with the box being centrally located by my shifter. I still have to get it up and do some CAN debugging and pick up things like the wheel speed sensors, and other things I can pick up when the car is off, as my aging neighbors don't enjoy hearing me ruin their Matlock and Murder She Wrote.
118212099_338847623904001_6398989399750845789_n.jpg
While I do have a 3d printer, and basic understanding of high school geometry, given my recent experiences of late with things not going my way, perhaps it'd be best to not print my own mount, and trust the beautiful people at Watson to it. Thanks to @captdistraction for pointing me in the right direction on that. Not sure if I'm going to take the whole dash out at this point, thinking that it'd be consistent with the car and everything else, but maybe I should limit my projects to one at a time.

IMG_20200823_181613.jpg
I also made my way up north to grab a few more goodies from some local sellers, which included a quick disconnect Sparco wheel and a Watson Racing hub, and the upper pony grille insert to the stock 18+ bumper that I had originally received with this car. Looking at the bumper, you'll notice that there are some nice slits down the side and in the middle, because the previous owner was a big fan of American Muscle and put those Roush scoops in it. I'm going to have to try my hand at filling it in with a few layers of Bondo, and then see how well I can wrap over it. Not a big fan of adding weight back onto it since it's under 3600 with me in it, but as some of you following along have seen my issues with bumper flex, I might put the turn signals back in if that provides any additional structural rigidity. I'll also be on the lookout for the stock lower plastic and one of the performance pack lips to temporarily complete the look, and adding the performance pack 2 under tray I've had should fix some of those aero problems for the time being. Some brilliant people at Astro Tool saw my exploits and sent this beautiful Riv Nut gun.
IMG_20200820_131150.jpg
Intruders beware, this thing doubles as a home safety device. Also like how skinny it is, which is nice when trying to pop a nut in such a tight space.

So, on last weekend's last session out, the driver side caught something that punctured it, and looking at the passenger side, it'd look like it didn't have a great time either. That yellowish stripe has me wonder if that's part of that wood when it was being pushed into it during those high speed banked turns, or just crappy timing and the thing that slit my tire whipped around. Looking through my videos, I can't see anything that large. Gave the rim a little scratch as well, so there go any hopes and dreams I had of this thing ever making it to a magazine. Dammit. I guess I'll just have to remember that I need to be more careful when using wood on the front bumper.

IMG_20200823_181509.jpg

Looking at my 1:49.2 video, kinda pissed with how many mistakes I was making, which is something I can better concentrate on when it stops breaking something after every session out.

I didn't extactly straight brake off 2 into 3, and perhaps trailbraking isn't the right thing to do, or if it is, I need to come in hotter, and set up for the outside of 4 for that exit speed on the short straight into 5/6. I missed the super late apex on 9, and having the rebound set that high had me hopping through 10/11. I hit the brake a little earlier than I should have, and using 3rd (3.55's) coming out of 13, has me out of the powerband which limits my ability to get out of there quicker. I'd guess that' easily 2-3 seconds worth of mistakes, and lift on the straight at the 3 board is just wuss league, I could probably go to 2 or 1, certainly would when the hood isn't dancing. Oh well, those are all things I hope to remember for the next session out in October... supposing I've got a working front-end by that time.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Spent too much time yesterday, but finally figured and finished it up, where I pulled the stock steering wheel off, and annoyed by the never disappearing screen messaging, relocated the right arrow/ok pad so that I can enjoy some of the screen functionality while I still have it. Stupidly, I started tracking the pinouts through the clockspring, and got smarter by simply popping the clockspring lid and pulling the ribbon cables out and pretty much retaining the harnesses. They've got a pretty long run, so you can run them down the bottom of the plastic steering shaft tunnel, and then mount the plastic driver-side face of the clockspring somewhere underneath the dash, use the newly freed steering wheel harness, and then run wire back to wherever you're going to mount it, which for me might still be the radio area. Anyhow, I thought it was cool, electrical schematics and all that can easily confuse me.

http://instagr.am/p/CEiZpoolQlu/

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Further running down the hole of car nerdom, I got my hands on an Amazon Fire HD Tablet on some big sale the other week, and did some jailbreaking to get all that Amazon crap off which leaves me with an Android, which has an official Race Capture Pro port. I opted for the 8" model instead of the 10" because the chip performance on the 10" is slightly worse, its higher resolution screen drains the battery faster, and the 8" HD has wireless charging which frees up that USB port so that I could use for a direct connection to the Race Capture if Bluetooth proves janky.

Using my exceptional cardboard craftsmanship rapid prototyping talents, I thought about making a little mount that'd sneak behind the steering wheel and probably mount to the upper steering shaft console.
IMG_20200902_234600.jpg
Problem with that is sitting where I normally would, the steering wheel goes right through the middle of the screen, which robs me of most of its information, and if I'm in the harnesses and HANS, it won't provide much value. If I stand it up portrait mode, it gets into my field of vision and I'll probably start trolling people on a long straightaway.

With the stereo out, there's actually a nice space where the LCD and SYNC stereo previously occupied, sitting right between the plastic frame.

IMG_20200902_234332.jpg
This one might be the winner, with that I can clearly see all of the information on the screen without any obstruction. There's still a little bit of space behind it to run something like a Qi Wireless charger. I guess the only real negative on this is that in the Android system, it does have both front and rear facing cameras, and the Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube Android applications pick them up just fine. Although, I've got 1080/4k GoPro's and they probably do image stabilization much better than a 480/720p tablet cam.

Last up would be mounting it against the frame of the instrument cluster, which allows me to see most of it, but that then obstructs the tach, speedo, and that center information panel.
IMG_20200902_234218.jpg
But dangit, I just did so much work to free up and relocate that D-pad/OK button, why would I just go throw that away?

Talking about throw away, my bathroom scales say that the foglight/turn signals are 6.4 pounds, and I'm not really wanting to put weight back on for something that I'll use so infrequently. Shame that the 18+ design is pretty dependent upon it, and that the previous owner had to notch the bumper up so much for the Roush buckets.

IMG_20200902_225011.jpg

Toying with 3d printing some plates up which will anchor to the 3 side slits and hole on the lower front and could cover up that fog/turn light area, or using the fog/turn front to create some fake cover to stand in. I dunno, somewhat limited on my capabilities here.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Dear Diary,
I can't believe it's been 20 days since my last post. Brandon kissed me. OHMIGAHWD!

1600891404274.png
Seriously though, what grinds my gears are vinyl wrap companies. I contacted 25, as in five past twenty, and got word back from 2. TWO. Of those two, one was concerned about putting their banner across my windshield, which for most race series is not up for debate, and the other one never responded after I sent a proof. I guess they'd rather just do carbon fiber hood wraps. Got one guy though, seems alright, and cutting a slightly better deal since I'm disassembling some of it ahead of time, or as in, he doesn't know that I uh, haven't gotten around to installing them.

PXL_20200923_053851888.jpg

De-wrappified the car, and going to give a couple coats of Oxford White on those fenders to cut down on the wrap charge, since I guess the fancy ones shine through. No real need to make it any good since it's going to be covered over, just don't need that ebony black shining through. Gonna try my hand at Bondo to cover the holes on the front chin piece as well, more pictures of my eyesore to follow.

PXL_20200923_015931654.jpg

Also found this locally, on national backorder until the 2nd week in October, so psyched about that. Couldn't get the PP undertray to nicely lineup and then realized that I was actually missing the second piece which is the lower splitter.

Last edited:

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
It's not really a "how too" but this is a thread I made when I did my vinyl wrap. It's honestly not hard just tedious if you want it to look good. On a side note, my car looks WAY better than cars I've seen at shows with the vinyl companies stickers plastered all over it as advertisement. Most of those guys are a joke.

TMO Supporting Vendors