The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 The Albuquerque Stripper - Mustang Nosegrind 720 Kickflip Champion Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Great write up as usual. Bet the response of the engine is great with that new clutch too!
You'll notice in the 2nd video, it comes on quick, and I can already feel it breaking loose and pull out of it and counter steer before it gets out of hand. It had pretty good accel with the tiny 25.4" 315/30/18's, and then going from 3.55 to 3.73, and now half the weight, it's really flying through most of the gears. Can't wait for some fresh tires to really put it down with no lingering grip concerns.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Semi-worthless post :

My exceptionally attractive noggin made the NASA / Subi Speed post from the last weekend's instructing. My student did his best to drift every single turn at Willow Springs, and did so with varying levels of success. I guess driving something that can explode at high rates of speed really prepares you for anything that a student can throw at you.

1654011079823.png

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I try to make my posts all big and special, but meh, they're just posts.

Since we last spoke, I've been working on me, and trying new things, like trying to defeat my track friends in an EV.

20220605_155201.jpg20220605_130426.jpg20220605_130424.jpg

The best thing about trying new things is because it turns your known unknowns into known knowns, and now I know it was a pretty bad idea, and Hyundai will likely not be calling me about joining their factory race team as 2:14 is the best we could do... which is pretty good considering it weighs about 5000 and the speed limiter kicks in at 106. They were both just north of 1:50, but I made a vow and promise to go 30 seconds faster at my next event.

20220608_131339.jpg20220610_124119.jpg

Thanks to OP Mustang, I put some big studs in my rear, and let my instagram followers decide if I should run Hawk's DTC-60 or DTC-70, and they chose DTC-70.

Packed up and headed out late Friday night, which turned out to be slightly later, because I well, ran out of gas... but man, my bad luck is still kinda good at times. I did have to wait 15 minutes for the single employee to enjoy their government mandated 15 minute break, so I shot the coldest of stares at him through the locked door while I waited to buy a few gallons of gas, not wanting to get my cards locked for multiple consecutive purchases at a gas station, the most basic fraud flag there is.

20220610_225457.jpg

The morning would turn out to be a loss too, forgot my AIM Solo and more importantly, forgot my tablet I use for my ASL Race Capture Pro, forgot the password I used for its WiFi so I couldn't connect to it from an app on my phone. But wait, there's more! There is still another way, and to get that password, I only had to plug my laptop into it with a USB cable, but USB-A like the trapezoid ones you got back on your Razr.

HELLO MOTO

I also forgot to put my transponder on, so while I was feeling okay with the 1:47 reported by Track Addict which would have had me in 3rd, I had null, which would have me at the back of the pack, once again. I seriously need to tattoo my checklist on me, right next to Sammy Jankis, whoever that is. The track was super slick and greasy, plenty of people had offs, and we all moaned about the mid 90s temps. I was once again the only entrant, so I just needed to finish a lap and session without going off. Since I was going to start from the back of the pack, I might as well wait for the herd to thin out. So while waiting, inbetween my instructing sessions, I also ended up turning some wrenches for a 944 buddy who was all sorts of screwed up in an attempt to make their race group. Usually the last session is around 3-4pm, but because of the Enduro that night, sessions were shortened, times were shuffled, so we went out middle of the day, nice.

Might as well have some fun and grab some points.

1655174587593.png

I may or may not have drifted a turn or five.

Sunday was pretty lazy too, pulled a 1:46.7 off in the heat, which if you figure most were running 2-4 seconds off their normal times, puts me on pace with what I did in March. The Mantic clutch felt amazing though, the shifts were instant and firm, and I was actually pulling some pedal out, because any heavy throttle application would roast the tires. I was trying to use the ACS as a before/after, but the temps kinda ruined it.

oops, I, did it again

This past weekend also means that once again, the Albuquerque Stripper and I are your NASA TT2 season champion for the SoCal region.

20220612_150223.jpg

There are 6 to go, but so far in the 12 events, I've got 9 wins -- which by most would be seen as pretty good. However 7 of those wins are empty, where I was simply the only class entrant. I did end up beating a few people as long as they weren't named Alessandro or Frank, and often the overall winner as long as one of our 3-4 STU prototypes didn't go out. The SoCal region has 3-6 ST2's show up, which my performances put me on the podium for, and our TT3 is always well populated where the winner should end up getting a tire or two for their hard work. Since I'm instructing, my track fees are covered which is a big help for somebody who can't afford to hemorrhage money, and potentially getting free tires could certainly extend my racing pleasure. I could also try my hands at ST2 which might better put us into the tire territory, but it'd come at a cost of instructing and paying again, because the schedule is lined up so that the instructors generally run in time trial, and can get through impound and classroom in time to meet the HPDE1-2 students.

I don't know, but when have I ever? I'll find out this week if I'm heading to Nationals as a driver or as a vapid dolt with 2 years experience in destroying 2018+ Mustangs.

20220612_150129.jpg

I guess I'm happy either way. Here's a picture of my car, it's pretty loud and melts r compound tires. Hopefully this isn't our last race at Auto Club Speedway, I really like that place.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Happy Father's day, y'alls.

My Dad always told me I have to finish what I started, and for equal parts me, equal parts him, here we are, 2 short years later, with the Albuquerque Stripper entered in the National Championships.

1655665610961.png

I'm one of those prepare for the worst, hope for the best types -- and seeing as I was rained and hailed on my only time there, I guess you could say I'm the favorite if we have to resort to the wet line.
Apologies about all the wood screws, 11th place, here we come.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Happy Father's day, y'alls.

My Dad always told me I have to finish what I started, and for equal parts me, equal parts him, here we are, 2 short years later, with the Albuquerque Stripper entered in the National Championships.

View attachment 76707

I'm one of those prepare for the worst, hope for the best types -- and seeing as I was rained and hailed on my only time there, I guess you could say I'm the favorite if we have to resort to the wet line.
Apologies about all the wood screws, 11th place, here we come.
Congrats on that Patrick ! Looks like a very strong competition. But I'm sure you will do your best.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Congrats on that Patrick ! Looks like a very strong competition. But I'm sure you will do your best.
Thanks, and yeah, very strong is a good way of putting it. I'm fortunate to have had a somewhat drama free season so far, biggest issue was that slipping clutch that was fixed thanks to an upgraded unit from Mantic.

Really happy to have them on board, quality unit that really cut down on the stock silliness. I think I'm almost to the point where I'm going to eventually run out of excuses and have to accept the fact that I really don't know what I'm doing out there, and what better way to do that than in the company of another 330 or so cars.

So you're saying from having you as 1st crew member now you are 1st challenger?
☺️
Let's do this.

Veni, vidi, vixi.

Well now, what's saying I can't be both? If you'll recall back in February, I spent more time working on your than I did on mine. I think the Stripper even noticed and was like AWH HELL NAH and threw 2nd gear somewhere far, far away.

Trying the sim stuff out, having PC issues so can't get AC or iRacing to work without crashing, so took to my xbox and Forza 7, and in a 2016 GT350R, I tried my best to stay true, using my spring rates, caster/camber/toe, ride height, guesstimated DF, diff/trans gearing, and got the weight and power about as close as I could with taking the right mods which had me at 540 crank (~470rwhp?)/3650. I'm wondering if I should take the weight reduction mods to get it to the 3400 it is without my fat ass in it, not sure what the game assumes the driver to weigh, nothing about that anywhere. Spent about an hour on it last night and consistently ran low 1:37s, but plenty of mistakes, like can't come out of the corkscrew without getting the ass out, that last super hard left to the straight, and the line in 2a+2b seems an awful lot harder than it did in person. If you, Flash, and Sal have done 35-36, I've got 3 months to find 3 seconds.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Short post, which is totally not my style, but underwent a little transformation Thursday.

Started out with the MBRP Pro Race 3"
20220818_085129.jpg

Switched to an aFe setup for single tips
20220818_123113.jpg

and tossed some Vibrants on after them with fixed 90 tips
20220818_182205.jpg

and vbanded them, should there be some track that pulls sound from the driver side, like Lime Rock (and somehow I can afford a 3k mile tow)
20220819_074653.jpg

The sound is going to take some getting used to, as it's not honestly my cup of tea. I'm probably losing some power and generating a little more heat, but I can at least complete a lap at Laguna Seca without lifting, and in a month from now, that's really all I'm really going to care about.

It'd be nice to sub 2 there too.

edit: Also, losing the MBRP boomtube thingy means that I also gain back some space in the center rear area, which I believe would be enough for a diffuser. I'm going to guess that the aero benefit from running one would outweigh whatever additional weight it is going to add back in, and through my interpretation of the rules, there's no limitation to its dimensions, unlike the front. Not sure what 8 feet of aluminum weighs, but it's worth it to keep the tailgaters at bay. I've lost 25 pounds the hard way over the past 2 months, to the point that my knees can't take it any more, so hoping that was enough to cancel out the added weight of the mufflers.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Short post, which is totally not my style, but underwent a little transformation Thursday.

Started out with the MBRP Pro Race 3"
View attachment 78318

Switched to an aFe setup for single tips
View attachment 78317

and tossed some Vibrants on after them with fixed 90 tips
View attachment 78316

and vbanded them, should there be some track that pulls sound from the driver side, like Lime Rock (and somehow I can afford a 3k mile tow)
View attachment 78315

The sound is going to take some getting used to, as it's not honestly my cup of tea. I'm probably losing some power and generating a little more heat, but I can at least complete a lap at Laguna Seca without lifting, and in a month from now, that's really all I'm really going to care about.

It'd be nice to sub 2 there too.
I'm going to throw this out here although you probably already know; at Laguna (and T Hill) the sound is taken from the passenger side.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'm going to throw this out here although you probably already know; at Laguna (and T Hill) the sound is taken from the passenger side.
Yeah just trolling per usual me. That said, it is remarkably quiet, and I'll see if I can't find a place to fab up a vband to 90 degree mandrel bend for tracks where I'm close, but the additional muffler is overkill.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah just trolling per usual me. That said, it is remarkably quiet, and I'll see if I can't find a place to fab up a vband to 90 degree mandrel bend for tracks where I'm close, but the additional muffler is overkill.
well nationals are I think 103 db so that's pretty loud.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Those coming to Hastings, Ne. for the Fast Fords and Mustang Roundup the decibel limit is ..................110 !!!
Why bother recording at that point? :D

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
To say Nationals went to plan would be a massive, massive understatement. I'm sure those of you who were at Nats are likely sick of hearing about it, probably as much or more than I am talking about it. Just got home, back fatigue is really setting in, but I'm going to hunker down and put this post down now that I've got internets.

off to a great start

Had a great car all year, really starting to find her rhythm, and in the 2 months I had my pc, I don't know how somebody could mathematically put in more laps on that f***ing track. When I wasn't simming it, I was stalking the competitors social medias, watching friends with similar setups videos there as well, so there was reason I was quiet during the NASA SoCal 3 month heatbreak, I was preparing for war. I'd lost 35 pounds, with the car coming in at 3590 with me in it, 15 under my 3605 that I used to run at.. but could be fixed with fuel as an extra 0.1 comes at 3601+, for safety. I had flown my Mom in from the east, rented an RV, and we made our trip up. For those who saw me noticing that I was dressed like a clown (moreso than normal), well, one of the bags that we forgot was my clothes, so I was wearing Walmart's hottest fall fashions. Besides, I'd just run around in the suit the whole time, so no big problem. Finally made it up Tuesday night, and was I believe the first occupant in the Lake Bed Paddock, which was a different and really nice change of pace.

Wednesday morning was going out with NCRC, my plan was to go out easy, and try to balance the simmings suggestions vs the real thing, and not sure who was out with me, try not to show too much of my hand, migrating traffic and getting good runs at a few turns here and there. Being half deaf and having mufflers now, I was also trying to get the tones right and my rhythm down.

20220914_081030.jpg20220914_110510_02.jpg

Kept bumping into traffic, and near the end of the second session, I put together perhaps the worst lap of my life. I have played this lap over in my head for the last 5 days, almost down to each hand and foot gesture. Grabbed my 2nd gear for turn 11, something I had been able to do with like 10% success since I thought I had lost it way back in February's Willow Springs event... but then f***ing flubbed 3rd coming by the hotpits.

1663657472405.png

the worst lap of my life, the last lap of hers

Flubbed another one out of 2b, then realize it's me thinking too much, it's the prototypes that I can't see with the new halo seat which is yes, now blocking the usual over-shoulder mount. I saw them exit 11 when I was just going over into 1, so I figure they made up that gap, especially with these goofs, might as well take it in, try to fix mirrors, grab some lunch, and clear my head. I point Chin by.

1663658274590.png

you too, Croiset, at least I caught your big bubbly thing

1663658483321.png

alright, cleared, let's get a nice 5, 6, 7, 8, and coast it after a quick shot out of the corkscrew.

Nope, another flub. I do gestures so that when I'm scrubbing video, I can quickly find the places I'm signaling to my future self. Not happy now.

1663658662134.png

Braking at the stripe, I had a nice hard brake, a little chirp as I was right at threshold, weight shifts forward, big brakes come alive and I'm do.... oh f***, lost pressure and I punch the floor.

1663658838890.png

pump pump pump, please no, pump pump -- nothing. I did not know at the time, but my front right inner caliper bleeder valve had loosened enough, blown/melted the cap off, and was spraying fluid on the inside of my wheel, and perhaps between the rotor and pad.

I can barely afford to fix the Stripper, much less the Stripper AND another car. I guide her right to just clear him... and in that moment decide a side collision into the tires gives me the best suvivability when compared to a head on collision. Grab the wheel, hard left, pull the e-brake, and welp, adios, it's been a fun one.

1663659312311.png

and just like that... she's gone.

got sideways, across the pavement, right side into the sand, kept rotating, so now I'm looking at the flagger and car, rear-3/4 impact, roll onto the tire wall, flip staight up in the air, land on the roof, roll down the hill a few times, and land like I tell all my students, shiny side up, sticky side down.

All I kept hearing through the pits was people talking about how they just have to get that famed corkscrew shot for marketing purposes, because, it's not like somebody can tell if you're doing 15 vs 55 anyhow, but at long last! Our corkscrew shot!

1663660000679.png
(Thanks Jordan Sideris for the shots)
1663660294911.png

Honestly wasn't there for the photos anyhow, I was there to win. Went to the hospital after a few ladies kept begging me to, and found out after some CT scans that I had some spinal fractures, and guessing a 4 month recovery time, lifting nothing heavier than 10# the whole time. So, not listening to the doctors, went back to the track and cheered everybody on, watched some great racing, lent my transponder, put some faces to names from some of you fine folk here, and some of the other TT2 fam. I also got more hugs in those 3 days than I probably had over the first half of my life, and I'm not even a hugger. Team TMO did pretty darn good out there, and Team NASA SoCal did too. I know a few of you were pulling for me, and I'm sorry to have let you down, but, at least I have a chance to try for another one.

Yet, despite all of that, NASA Nationals 2022 were fantastic, with them really upping their game, trying to highlight some of our stories and racing, heck, had I not wrecked, you would have seen my dumb mug with Karla Pestotnik, and how we must have co-ordinated our hair, jeans, and shoes in advance. (Narrator: They didn't.)

1663662302093.png

2 Regional TT2 Championships and a couple of records will have to do. Hopefully you enjoyed her story, because I certainly enjoyed writing it.

We now return you to your regular broadcast, already in progress.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Bonus Paddy is mental commentary edition :
I've had plenty of secrets in my thread over the years, but here's a freebie. Notice how well the first 21 seconds of this align with the 21 seconds of my incident?

You're welcome. I love you all.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I know a few of you were pulling for me, and I'm sorry to have let you down, but, at least I have a chance to try for another one.
I watched the whole TT2 nationals on youtube and was wondering where were you. I'm so sorry to see that onboard but so happy that you are alright and I wish you a very speedy recovery. I'm sure you will be back in no time to the track and in another Stripper. Can't wait for next year TT2 nationals then.

TMO Supporting Vendors