The Art of Racing in the Rain Movie Trailer

Discussion in 'Road Racing Forum' started by VoodooBoss, May 21, 2019.

1. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

This should be pretty good. I haven't read the book but I hear it was very good. Go Enzo!

2. docs302

docs302 TMO Race

The book was a great read. I love dogs so it really was emotional for me but one of my favorite reads.

3. steveespo

steveespo Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child Moderator

Looks like a good love story. Too bad Paul Newman wasn’t alive to do the voiceover. Kevin Costner does a pretty good Newmanesque though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HRLNKN and VoodooBoss like this.
  4. ChrisM

ChrisM No bad days.

This is the best movie news I've heard in a really long time. My uncle gave me the book before I deployed (he races in Formula Vee) and I must have read it half a dozen times. It's one of my all-time favorite books. Will make sure to bring a box of tissues...for the wife. Not for me. Definitely not for me, nosirree.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  5. docs302

docs302 TMO Race

Uh yeah....that's what I meant too...….for the wife.

ChrisM likes this.
  6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

Dogs..., Cars... Has to be good! Some of the best things in our lives...

The_Backmarker and VoodooBoss like this.
  7. captdistraction

captdistraction I am the breaker of things

Ugh, I’m not sure I have the emotional fortitude to see this movie. We just picked up a golden puppy last year, I love dogs more than the vast majority of people. When defining bittersweet, this title appears as reference.

The book had a dramatic impact on the way I race and approach many aspects of life. It’s a great read, I made the mistake of finishing the book on a crowded flight.

8. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Prepare to cry...

The_Backmarker likes this.
  9. ChrisM

ChrisM No bad days.

High performance drivers, not afraid to drive at triple digit speeds surrounded by stone walls, people, trees, and other objects, but turn into blubbering fools when reading books about dogs and cars.

*scene*

Man wearing racing suit and helmet is curled up in a leather chair, wrapped in a blanket, reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" while his faithful canine companion sleeps curled up on the rug next to a crackling fire. They are surrounded by bookshelves mostly filled with copies of "Speed Secrets" and various other racing books, because that's all he knows how to read.

Next to him is a small table holding a cup of hot cocoa and a laptop opened to a webpage called "TrackMustangsOnline.com." He reaches for the cocoa, lifts his visor, and his soft weeping can be heard emanating from under the Ford Performance sticker stuck across the top of his visor.

"I'LL BE UP IN A MINUTE" he hoarsely yells to wife his wife, who's wondering why he's still looking at that damn website instead of coming to bed.

*end scene*

RaiderJatt02, Daegoba, HRLNKN and 4 others like this.
  10. Apex3V

Apex3V Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast

I had to read the book in school but was actually very happy with it, it was very emotional and when I read it I was still learning some of the basics of racing. The trailer gave me hope that the movie will do the book justice and it's also nice to see turner Motorsports being featured in it.

HRLNKN likes this.
  11. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

Gotta get the book and read it before seeing the movie. Thanks for sharing.

ChrisM likes this.
  12. Daegoba

Daegoba TMO Intermediate

“The book had a dramatic impact on the way I race and approach many aspects of life. It’s a great read...”

-Capt Distraction

Couldn’t have put it better myself. This book will move you if you’re an enthusiast. It’s not something to be taken lightly, and I truly hope the movie does it justice.

For those of you that haven’t read it and plan to: there are two different versions of the book. One is for adults (The Art of Racing In The Rain) and one for children (Racing in The Rain: My Life as a Dog) I will not spoil either by explaining the difference, but I do want you to know, as to experience the full impact of the story.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  13. The_Backmarker

The_Backmarker TMO Intermediate

I plan on seeing this movie when it comes out. I read the book some years ago and met the author at a party in Seattle. Really cool guy and he used to race a Spec Miata in the PNW. My understanding is that "Denny" is very loosely based on a PNW race car driver that became a pro driver.

This is a picture of my Golden Retriever "Goldie" who passed away unexpectedly on Jan 1, 2017. She was a wonderful dog and made me a huge fan of the breed. I miss her every day.

Goldie.JPG

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Apex3V likes this.
  14. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

The title of this thread was not what I expected and after reading the comments I definitely need to get the book. If a read can make folks view how they approach racing differently , and emotionally touch them , I can't think of a better recommendation? Passion is something that transcends both animate and inanimate things, but it is a driving force which enriches our lives and pushes us to new heights. Whether it is the love of a sport or something special , it can motivate and build our character. Obviously this book had a major impact on our shared passion, so hopefully the movie will share the book's appeal, and I too will make sure to read prior to it's release--- everyone's comments have me wanting to get this rewarding book.

RaiderJatt02, ChrisM, Apex3V and 2 others like this.
  15. steveespo

steveespo Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child Moderator

Dogs make everything in life better.

Dark Horse, JeffV8, Apex3V and 6 others like this.
  16. Bill Pemberton

Took the sage advice of the TMO faithful and purchased the book, since you can always count on their advice as not being the same old dogma. Ok, bad pun, bug quite true and I just had to through that comment in there. Taking a small trip , so it should be a solid way to while away some of the time?

Thanks for the recommendation. Told my wife about it and she is still missing our Australian Shepard quite a bit and she may read it before I can get my hands on it?

Apex3V and ChrisM like this.
  17. ChrisM

ChrisM No bad days.

Be warned Bill, she will cry if that's the case.

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  18. Bill Pemberton

Thanks Chris , I will be handy with the tissues! To be honest, if she cries , I will probably not do much better , so will just hang onto the Kleenex!!!!

19. THRAPY

THRAPY TMO Intermediate

First chapter nearly did me in.

20. Wolvee

Wolvee TMO Intermediate

My wife and I have a strict "never see a movie where dogs die" clause in our Marriage. lol

John Wick was a difficult time but we got through it only by the human body count John Wick left in his wake. :)

The person who wrote Marley and Me was a Satanist.

Apex3V and VoodooBoss like this.