The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Boss another Mach 1?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I keep reading/hearing people say the new Boss is something special. That it will be collectable years from now.
What makes it different from, say, the 03/04 Mach 1? Is it production numbers or is there something else that makes it special? The History of the Boss name?
From what I remember the 03/04 Mach 1 was supposed to be special. But we see how that turned out.

Part of it is the name. Part of it is a 2-year production run with low numbers. Part of it is a specific engine and suspension shared by no other Mustang. Now whether all those make it collectible remains to be seen. I'm not holding my breath. There might not be gasoline in 25 years to put in it.

Look it is just a car, special well to the owners of them sure the boss name is in history for everyone and I am sure other types will be made that will be the same story. I love the boss even with the few problems it has but thats all just extra money to be spent then the car is something special when you pull up to it and it leaves you in the dust :eek: ;D The gt500 is the flagship car for ford, so I would think that the gt500 will be the one to hold the value as far as I have seen they aren't to cheap :-\ Just another mustang till you drive it...

JonW said:
Part of it is the name. Part of it is a 2-year production run with low numbers. Part of it is a specific engine and suspension shared by no other Mustang. Now whether all those make it collectible remains to be seen. I'm not holding my breath. There might not be gasoline in 25 years to put in it.
I agree. In the meantime I'm driving the wheels off of mine and enjoying it. :D

Late in 2003, there were a lot of deals to be had on the Mach 1's and Cobras. I was shopping then and if I wanted to go to Georgia, I could have had my pick of Mach 1's on the lot for $23.5k and if I wanted to go east, there was a dealer with Cobra Coupes with polished wheels for $27.9k. The dealers shafted people in the beginning and then the cars sat on the lots and rotted while no one wanted to pay their upcharges. I almost went for a Cobra, I had a dealer that had a silver one on the lot in Joliet, IL. It had been there more than 200 days if my memory is correct. I called and spoke to a salesman, I told him about my east coast price and he said that he would match it. I had no trade, I would be showing up with a personal check and a cashiers check for the amount we agreed on and I would take it home, appointment was set. I went to the dealer and announced the salesman that I was there to meet, and we sat in the lobby and putzed around in the lobby cars for a while, after about 45 minutes, we tried the girl at the counter again who said that he was finishing up and would be out shortly. It was not crowded and no other salesman had offered to help. We then went and wandered the lot inspecting the CAT engines in the HD trucks and gave it another hour. Went back to the counter again, she couldn't find him now, I showed her the checks and told her to watch a guaranteed sale for a car that had bee sitting around for more than half a year walk out the door, get in my Impala SS and leave. There may have been some middle fingers extended while waving goodbye, but alas I left Cobraless. Instead I bought an 04 Wrangler Rubicon, which served me well. I have had a sour taste in my mouth about dealing with Ford dealers since then. It has only been some of the remarkable people that I have met through this board that made me even think about dealing with the dealers again.

Anyway, getting back to the point, I hardly see any of the Mach 1's on the road anymore, I don't know where they all went but I haven't seen one in a while.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
No offense to those owners, but the Mach 1s are just not as special...or I would have owned one. Big dealbreaker for me was that the autos didn't have the same forged crank (WTF). And since I was looking to modify it for the dragstrip...that was a big negative over getting a Cobra. And at the time, it seemed to have little advantage over getting a used, older Cobra...even the '96-98 ones.

Unfortunately, I also think that many of the Mach owners just f'd them up cosmetically. Well, at least the ones I've seen in person over the years.

Because so many of the bosses will see the track and be used, those that are well cared for will command decent prices. Even the well used ones will sell way higher than the Machs. I suspect that may hold true even compared to the GT500s and Terminators, which still hold their value pretty well.

I sold my 04 Cobra to free up space for My Boss, I bought it in 07 for $21K and sold it to my son this year for $19K even though Blue book was still at $21K (family discount, plus a ton of parts not yet installed) SO hopefully they will keep their value. I think in a few years when the 15 comes out if it falls on its face, our values will go up real fast.

jeepinocala said:
Look it is just a car, special well to the owners of them sure the boss name is in history for everyone and I am sure other types will be made that will be the same story. I love the boss even with the few problems it has but thats all just extra money to be spent then the car is something special when you pull up to it and it leaves you in the dust :eek: ;D The gt500 is the flagship car for ford, so I would think that the gt500 will be the one to hold the value as far as I have seen they aren't to cheap :-\ Just another mustang till you drive it...

Are you kidding me...? If the Boss is "just a car" why are so many people clamoring to buy one, and why are many buyers willing to fork over the ridiculous over-MSRP prices dealers are charging for them? Why did you buy one if it's "just a car", and not save money a buy a GT 5.0 Trackpack instead?

The answer is these cars ARE special. The unique combination of looks, character, performance, limited production and pedigree, and the fact that they very likely won't be made again, at least not in this body style, make them special cars.

As far as relative future values for the Boss and GT500... hard to say for sure, but since Bosses will be a two-year only production run vs. an 8 year production run for the GT500 (2007-2014), there are lots more GT500s produced. So, I tend to think Bosses (especially the LS and well-kept examples) will will be, in general, more collectible down the road. The exception would be some of the lower production GT500 versions, like the Super Snake, and then the 2013-2014 GT500 with 660 HP... these will generally command premium values over the "lesser" GT500s.

I'd equate the Boss with the Ford GT, in relative terms of course... a two-year limited production run on a very desirable car with performance equal or better than comparable cars from anywhere in the world. THAT'S what make the Boss special.

dabossinne said:
Are you kidding me...?

I'd equate the Boss with the Ford GT, in relative terms of course... a two-year limited production run on a very desirable car with performance equal or better than comparable cars from anywhere in the world. THAT'S what make the Boss special.
That's a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Ford GT40: barely 100 were made. No need to go into the history here. One sold in August at auction for $10M.
Ford GT: Two year run of barely over 4,000 new from the ground up super cars inspired by the GT 40.
1969/1970 Boss 302: Two year run of just over 8,000 cars.
2012/2013 Boss 302: Two year run of just over 8,000 cars that are a special edition of the X millionth Mustang produced. Inspired by the original 1969/1970 Boss 302.

I have not herd of any bosses actually selling for what the dealers are asking, now I have read of a ton of people getting them for msrp, not saying what I paid but Im pretty happy with the price ;D I bought one simply cause of the way they used forged internals it's that simple. Dont get me wrong I really love the boss as I write this mine is getting a new upper adjustable control arm and heavy duty mount :) Dont get to crazy cause there are alot of bosses on ebay from what ive seen and I dont see any going for any price that looks great. I do see alot of people low balling to try and get one ??? It's a car to enjoy.

jeepinocala said:
I bought one simply cause of the way they used forged internals it's that simple.

Thats the main reason I purchased one. I wasnt going to settle for a GT.
If the Boss was not around I would still be in my whippled Cobra, because I cant quite justify the money for a '13 GT500.

colticus said:
jeepinocala said:
I bought one simply cause of the way they used forged internals it's that simple.

Thats the main reason I purchased one. I wasnt going to settle for a GT.
If the Boss was not around I would still be in my whippled Cobra, because I cant quite justify the money for a '13 GT500.
I completely agree with you there. That's why I'm in a Boss as well. I just don't see another Mustang be worth $20k more than a Boss.

Bought the Boss to drive, both on and off the track. It is not my daily driver and I sold a 2010 Mustang that was almost as expensive in 2010 as the Boss was in 2011. This is just the best all around Mustang Ford has built to date. Plus you add in the nostalgia from the 69/70 and there is no reason not to love it. Value and beauty are in the eye of the beholder and if you're on this board you like what you see.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ive got a friend with a Mach 1, he told me last month that in his opinion the Mach 1 was just a car to use up a lot of the ford options on the shelf at the end of the previous models life.

Only the cobra had a different engine?

not sure if thats the case

ian

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
I don't know if I would necessarily consider 97% of the cars produced today as potential "collector" cars. I would think only the super low production (i.e. 1000 or less) and VERY unique cars would garner collector status. Yes the Boss is a limited production car with a unique (to the Mustang line) engine, but as stated before there are 8000+ of these ladies running around.

Now, I think the reason why people are chomping at the bit to own one is the value they represent in terms of being a performance car. Add in a relatively strong factory backing for track days and you have a recipe for an awesome ownership experience.

Heck, I walked away from 8 years with Lancer Evolutions into a platform I have never owned before. Why you ask? It is a purpose built race car for the street. What more can you ask for?

Now, just like anything else...there will be someone in the future somewhere that will be dying for one of these cars. The owners that cover their Boss' today and let them stew for 20-30 years will definitely reap the benefits of the nostalgic buyers with money to burn. However, I plan on using the car for what it was meant for. The reality is that even the restored "collector" cars of yesteryear fetch hefty ransoms...so why not enjoy the car you have today?

But back to the original question for the OP...is the Boss another Mach 1? I really don't think it will drop off as much as the Mach 1 simply because of the production numbers...but don't hold your breath about it's value doubling ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors