The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Boss is a very workable platform towards racing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sometimes I get so frustrated at ford for alot of the cheaper not such race parts that was installed in the Boss. I am a very picky person having raced most of my life and never with junk and at times the Boss can really piss me off, BUT after mods here and there it is starting to come around and showing the potential of it's past reputation. I like many still have a ton of mods to go and am now feeling more confident that this car will pass my inspection and driveing requirements pretty damn soon. Yesterday taking the boss for a ride after finishing some rear end suspension adjustments/tuneing I have a much better feeling of this car being able to become one of the better choices of structure for building a race car/street rod. I wont thank ford cause I am not done and still kinda pissed of some of the cheap ass parts they used, but on the other side understand this car was not cheap for them to create/build. There are alot of unanswered questions of mods I am going to go through for a few more months I am sure but over all this is a race car platform to me. I have been noticing some of the car finishing break in like the trans seems to be getting better by the day the clutch is another story simply cause I know it is one of the parts I will be changing once I am sure of it's weak features and any strong points 'if any' ::) The rear end of the car has been flawless and the same with the motor. I may as well say trans along with them but still not 100% sure of that yet. Has anyone here changed their motor mounts yet and what are the results? Also would like to hear of any clutch changes?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I would consider it a race car platform but surely not a race car. If that's what I wanted I would have to drop $80K and buy the 302S. The tranny/clutch/suspension, as you know, is quite different.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
only read the bold....not going to lie. I am going to swap mine out for the bbr adjustable units soon as I get the time I will let you know how it works out. I have a crappy clutch as well.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Because that will let the computer process crank position signals properly up to 8100 RPM, and many aftermarket tunes bump the rev limiters above 8K. Plus if you're replacing the flywheel during the clutch install, you'll be RIGHT THERE. Otherwise you'd have to remove trans, clutch, & flywheel again to do this as a separate install.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22870

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
I would consider it a race car platform but surely not a race car. If that's what I wanted I would have to drop $80K and buy the 302S. The tranny/clutch/suspension, as you know, is quite different.

Exactly. I think many people understand to expect a $40k car and if they are "picky" or serious about tracking/racing then the aftermarket world is full of replacement parts.
Frankly, I think that is part of the fun. It's what gearheads love to do.

I will get pretty close to the 302S before I'm done with mine for $20k less. Carry on....

ArizonaGT said:
Because that will let the computer process crank position signals properly up to 8100 RPM, and many aftermarket tunes bump the rev limiters above 8K. Plus if you're replacing the flywheel during the clutch install, you'll be RIGHT THERE. Otherwise you'd have to remove trans, clutch, & flywheel again to do this as a separate install.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22870

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RACING-2011-2013-MUSTANG-CJ-5-0L-TI-VCT-HIGH-RPM-PULSE-RING-/200822436858?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec1f333fa&vxp=mtr

Just bought mine. You are 100% correct while in there you may as well finish the job.

40k is a steal for a car with the looks and performance of the Boss, but the clutch/trans combo is crap even considering the bargain price on the car. I came from a car that was known for having a glass tranny but at least they worked up until they grenaded. Other than that I consider the car a pretty solid bargain for the price. It is far from a race car with a license plate, but it is a damn good street car with a lot of potential as a track car. If the Boss were really a race car... hell I'm not going to lie, if I could plate a 302S and afford it I would be driving it on the street. But I'm a little sick when it comes to cars.

Sesshomurai

I think the boss is rather close to being a race car. I mean the real boss race cars have the exact same motor. When I think of something "far from being a race car", I think of a Hyundai or a minivan.

As for "potential as a track car". It was built for track use. That's its purpose. It's no mystery.

Out of the box it beats pedigree performance cars like Porsche 911 Turbo's, M3's etc. on track times at Laguna Seca. It's the real deal. But can be improved further.

Even though we all have issue here or there, the greatness of the car shouldn't be watered down. :)

darreng505 said:
I think the boss is rather close to being a race car. I mean the real boss race cars have the exact same motor. When I think of something "far from being a race car", I think of a Hyundai or a minivan.

As for "potential as a track car". It was built for track use. That's its purpose. It's no mystery.

Out of the box it beats pedigree performance cars like Porsche 911 Turbo's, M3's etc. on track times at Laguna Seca. It's the real deal. But can be improved further.

Even though we all have issue here or there, the greatness of the car shouldn't be watered down. :)

I think you summed it up pretty well and will add if you do replace suspension parts and a few driveline parts it really does start to mold in the right direction. Not hitting at the car stock cause it is pretty damn good stock but you start digging into it and you will find out there is serious potential just waiting for the right few needed parts.

darreng505 said:
It's nice to think of the Boss as a race car or close to a race car but in reality it's not. You should catch a Grand Am or World Challenge race next year and talk to the teams and check out the cars. Then you will realize they have a ways to go. OTOH I have friends of mine that call my Boss my "race car" so maybe it is. ;D

As delivered from the factory, it is not a race car or even all that close. The brakes, trans/clutch (302S/R don't use the stock trans), suspension and many other parts are very street oriented including the Racaros which are pretty awkward with a helmet on due to the curvature. There are some basic mods that will make it a heck of a track day car, mostly just to deal with the heat issues in the trans/clutch/brakes/motor and it seems the diff too, but it is not a race car when it comes off the assembly line.

Oh man the last time I called this NOT a race car I had more replies beating me up so good luck to the last few comments ;D Although I dont even have to say I agree I have raced for years so there are no doubts there at all. It is a good start to a 'street' race car though ;)

Sesshomurai

5 DOT 0 said:
darreng505 said:
It's nice to think of the Boss as a race car or close to a race car but in reality it's not. You should catch a Grand Am or World Challenge race next year and talk to the teams and check out the cars. Then you will realize they have a ways to go. OTOH I have friends of mine that call my Boss my "race car" so maybe it is. ;D

Agree but its definitely not "far" from being a race car. I'm already working towards American Iron and I only track my car, so I already see how far away it is, and its not much. American Iron guide tells you exactly what it needs to have and not have to qualify and the list is not extensive compared to stock boss.

jeepinocala said:
I think you summed it up pretty well and will add if you do replace suspension parts and a few driveline parts it really does start to mold in the right direction. Not hitting at the car stock cause it is pretty damn good stock but you start digging into it and you will find out there is serious potential just waiting for the right few needed parts.

I think that's the best way to look at it...:)

I lowered the car, added camber plates, adj panhard bar and competition shifter, gt500 mufflers and the car is 100% better handling and sounding than before - to me.

Grant 302 said:
While many of us here would be happy if there were more R or S parts on the street cars, I think many buyers would be displeased with the added NVH.

I have upper,lower control arms, and aluminum driveshaft with zero added vibration. Not to mention the difference is huge I look forward to messing with the front of the car.

Sesshomurai

Check these suspension kits out. I'm rolling my own at the moment, but after a couple years when I go full on race-mode, I'll get one of these rigs. Drooling....

http://www.performanceautosport.com/store/s197-suspension/cortex-racing.html

TMO Supporting Vendors