The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Boss is outside the plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:eek: That is the title of the email I just got from my dealer. Here's the specific info:

In Transit Received - Rail (Auto Warehousing ) Ramp 51, Auto Alliance, MI Mar-01-2011, 12:45 ET Mar-19-2011

What does this mean??? ETA of 3/19 but will it get loaded out or sit in Area 51 forever??? ???

Man I can't wait!!!!

Just ordered the trans cooling scoop. The car better get here soon so I can stop spending money! Parts here already:

Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 lightweight track wheels
Fays2 Watts Link
DBA 5000 2-piece lightweight front and DBA 4000 rear rotors
Hawk DTC 70/60 pads
Brembo LCF600 fluid
Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge (shipped yesterday)
Homelink Auto Dimming Mirror w/temp (ordered yesterday)
Trans cooling scoop (ordered today)
Goodridge Steel Braided Brake Lines (ordering this week)
Brake Cooling Kit (Ordering 4/1 when available)
MM Caster/Camber plates (will likely order once car arrives)
LS Front Splitter (want to test loading on my trailer with stock one first)

Big Vito said:
true :D
but I'm also getting this Brembo LCF600 fluid
That picture makes me want the LS splitter. I just hope it can go on the trailer without taking it on/off. It doesn't look like it would be fun to put on at the track on jack stands.

cloud9 said:
Big Vito said:
true :D
but I'm also getting this Brembo LCF600 fluid
That picture makes me want the LS splitter. I just hope it can go on the trailer without taking it on/off. It doesn't look like it would be fun to put on at the track on jack stands.
I hope so too, as it does look like a tedious task.

GA
cloud9 said:
Just ordered the trans cooling scoop. The car better get here soon so I can stop spending money! Parts here already:

Fays2 Watts Link
Hawk DTC 70/60 pads
Brembo LCF600 fluid

Doesn't the standard Boss already come with stainless braided brake lines?

PJWANNABE said:
cloud9 said:

Fays2 Watts Link
Hawk DTC 70/60 pads
Brembo LCF600 fluid

Doesn't the standard Boss already come with stainless braided brake lines?
No, they are "low compressibility" rubber hoses. They price out at $85 a set which was the clincher for ordering the SS lines.

ufnavy06 said:
So $85 to upgrade to SS + install? Not too bad... but I don't know too much about that sort of thing.
I should have been clearer. The replacement cost for the factory hoses is $85. Goodridge braided SS lines are about $225. Given the low price of the stock hoses leads me to believe they will not perform like a quality SS line. It also probably explains why Ford used them. $100 (cost) x 4,000 cars = $400,000 per MY.

You don't have to change the lines to run a few track days a year. The reason to go to a SS line is to provide more responsive braking. A rubber hose expands and thus creates some lag between responding to pedal input. It's small and in street driving isn't that noticeable. Under track conditions it's benefit is much more noticeable.

http://www.2012boss.com/blog/the-boss-is-back-2012-boss-302/
The Mustang team spent considerable time ensuring the brake pedal feel met the expectations of performance drivers. Boss receives unique low-compressibility brake lines that expand up to 30 percent less than traditional flexible brake lines, allowing maximum fluid pressure to reach the calipers in the least amount of time, giving the driver a sensation of being connected directly to the brake pads.

and SS are even better?
cloud9 said:
ufnavy06 said:
So $85 to upgrade to SS + install? Not too bad... but I don't know too much about that sort of thing.
I should have been clearer. The replacement cost for the factory hoses is $85. Goodridge braided SS lines are about $225. Given the low price of the stock hoses leads me to believe they will not perform like a quality SS line. It also probably explains why Ford used them. $100 (cost) x 4,000 cars = $400,000 per MY.

You don't have to change the lines to run a few track days a year. The reason to go to a SS line is to provide more responsive braking. A rubber hose expands and thus creates some lag between responding to pedal input. It's small and in street driving isn't that noticeable. Under track conditions it's benefit is much more noticeable.

Big Vito said:
and SS are even better?
Short answer is yes. The thing is it's all relative. The Boss will be a great performer for a street car and occasional HPDE or autox car. The suspension, while improved over a stock GT, is still not a "race" suspension. For example, on my GT500, I started with stock suspension. It was terrible. Body roll and nose dive like a Lincoln Continental. Then I upgraded to the FRPP Handling Pack which was a big improvement, but when you really pushed it on track, it still wasn't up to the task. I then upgraded to the Griggs suspension and it handled "closer" to a race car, while still being streetable.

So the low compressibility lines are better than standard lines, but not as good as SS lines.

My performance priorities for the Boss on track are tires, then brakes, then suspension, and finally power.

Big Vito said:
thanks for the info, are you going to try the Boss on the track before you put the mods on?
The trans scoop, wheels and tires and all the brake components will go on before for sure. I'm contemplating going at least once before installing the Watts Link and c/c plates so I can see how much they actually lowers lap times. The LS splitter will be after someone else tries it :D

cloud9 said:
Big Vito said:
thanks for the info, are you going to try the Boss on the track before you put the mods on?
The trans scoop, wheels and tires and all the brake components will go on before for sure. I'm contemplating going at least once before installing the Watts Link and c/c plates so I can see how much they actually lowers lap times. The LS splitter will be after someone else tries it :D
hopefully someone here is willing to pioneer that :)

TMO Supporting Vendors