The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

Register Log in

The Camaro SS ILE

VoodooBoss

Rick
Reaction score
I had a chance to drive @gojimjoyce new Camaro SS 1LE today and I was impressed. Not only did it look great it was plenty fast, rode nice and the interior was pretty good. This is the first time I've driven an Alpha platform Camaro and it seems like a big improvement over the previous generation car.

Has anyone else driven one and if so what did you think of it?

I know of another TMO member who recently purchased an SS 1LE but I'll let him identify himself if he wants.

But don't worry, there will not be a TrackCamarosOnline anytime soon. :eek:

IMG_8891.jpg

david heath

TMO Beginner
Reaction score
I was just thinking of posting this exact question, how does this car in your opinion compare with the Boss?. There is a guy at work who has an SS should I challenge him? (Track times?) (1/4 mile times?). Thanks.

gojimjoyce

TMO Intermediate
Reaction score
@VoodooBoss Glad you enjoyed the ride. My friends ask me if I like 1SS 1LE or the Shelby better. Really, I can’t say there is a better. I’ve read the magazine comparisons, as have many. Some of the nitpicks I found to be a non-issue: the look of the grille, the interior, lack of rear visibility (simple fix is to always be passing) and what ever.

But at the price point, you get a heck of a lot of performance. I have no problem making this a daily driver. I had a hard time driving the GT350 a bunch because I was always concerned about putting on too many miles. At this price, I’m going to drive the heck outta’ it.

I really enjoy the low end torque I get from this motor. And the Goodyear Supercar ties are grippy even when cold! And the Tremec is confidence inspiring (vs the Getrag if I would have gone the GT route).

Are there things I miss about the GT350? Sure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VoodooBoss

Rick
Reaction score
Yea the transmission was very slick shifting and felt great, clutch too. I commented to Jim that it felt similar to the GT350 in that it's similar in size and weight with big fat tires. I didn't drive it on track so I didn't get to check the brakes. The brakes on the GT350 are amazing so if they match that it will be a winner. The Laguna Seca Lap Times are below and the 1LE is a bit faster than the Mustang PP2, which is a bit slower than the GT350. The GT350R with its sticky tires is faster yet. I think the 1LE is very close to the GT350. The motor in the 1LE has better torque but didn't feel as free revving and doesn't rev as high. Choose your poison...

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 9.08.05 PM.png

gojimjoyce

TMO Intermediate
Reaction score
As far as brake feel, I have to give the nod to the GT350 and its initial bite. I’ve been too lazy to burnish the pads in the 1LE, but the feel is a little bit “”lazyier” (I created a new word) than the GT350 IMHO. I won’t know until 7/3 at Sonoma if feel and performance match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VoodooBoss

Rick
Reaction score
I was just thinking of posting this exact question, how does this car in your opinion compare with the Boss?. There is a guy at work who has an SS should I challenge him? (Track times?) (1/4 mile times?). Thanks.
Wow you post a lot. :D Which year and model SS? If it's the one were talking about here and your Boss is stock you're going to get smoked.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Reaction score
Cows vs. Ponies. One get's eaten every day, the other you can't catch.

Perhaps I should start a "Tymeslayer Hates" Thread?

Boss2083

TMO Intermediate
Reaction score
Wow you post a lot. :D Which year and model SS? If it's the one were talking about here and your Boss is stock you're going to get smoked.
Thanks for your reply. I know the Boss is now a 6 year old car and the competition had really took off, The Boss is a great car and also needs to evolve to stay competitive. I understand I don’t post a lot I love Trackmustangs, I just dont do as much competitive racing as you do,(maybe a 1/4 mile run every now and then).

VoodooBoss

Rick
Reaction score
The first production Bosses were released in late winter 2011. Since then both Mustang and Camaro have released completely new chassis with more HP. Your car can be made competitive with them it’s just a matter of how much you want to spend. The Boss is still a great car so have fun with it. I wish I still had mine.

Drlee50

TMO Race
Reaction score
The first production Bosses were released in late winter 2011. Since then both Mustang and Camaro have released completely new chassis with more HP. Your car can be made competitive with them it’s just a matter of how much you want to spend. The Boss is still a great car so have fun with it. I wish I still had mine.
Exactly my dilemma.....how much do you put in to catch up to current technology. What if you put that $ into the current tech? How much faster is that?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Boss2083

TMO Intermediate
Reaction score
I ordered mine new from the dealership, I see in the forum many of you guys have traded your Bosses in for the GT 350s, I thought about it but could not do it. Thanks for a great place to go for all the knowledge we all need to keep our Mustangs competitive.

57556B75-A3FA-492B-A2FC-4618F9AEB3B0.jpeg

Grant 302

OPM Spent: $665,833
Reaction score
Exactly my dilemma.....how much do you put in to catch up to current technology. What if you put that $ into the current tech? How much faster is that?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Wheels and tires go a long way toward closing that gap.

Otherwise...

Spend money on fun and improving the driver. Use the rest on consumables.

Surfergeek

TMO Race
Reaction score
So I didn’t get to drive it but while I was having the Vagon serviced this weekend I poked around and sat in a loaded to the max 1LE. Interior and fit and finish is vastly improved from the last time I looked in a Camaro about 2012. The Recaro seats are nice and all the same things still apply about visibility but overall I thought it a big improvement from last time I checked them out. All the aero on it is pretty trick and in white with exposed carbon hood and carbon spoiler it was pretty sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors