The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The car cover?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGCurry

2013 Boss 302 #1548 SBY
Anyone with pics of it on the car? Everyone open theirs ? Mine is still in a sealed plastic bag in the trunk should I leave it sealed as a time capsule is it paint safe? How's the fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm leaving mine sealed up... I personally dont like to use one. I used one on my Cobra before and felt like it got dirtier with it on I don't have a heated garage and in the winter with the fluctuations in the temperature you can get condensation under the cover. Yeah, I know they are supposed to breathe, but they don't breathe that well. If you have a heated garage or the car is parked in a "high traffic" area of your garage (ie, kids walking past it brushing up against it) then a cover is probably a good idea. With mine, I just go out every few weeks with some detail spray and microfiber towel and wipe the small amount of dust off. Plus it gives me something to do with car in the winter months lol.

MGCurry

2013 Boss 302 #1548 SBY
My garage's 2 slots are taken up by my 72 and 67 fords, so the Boss is outside but its my driver except for dead of winter/snow (wifes truck) So if it goes up my driveway debating using the cover, love the pic of how fitted it is with the mirror pockets very cool.

Smilieboy said:
I got a dumb question, how do you wash it? I lost the paperwork that came with it.

With the car cover model that came with the car, you can wash and dry it. I took a picture of the spec sheet.

MGCurry said:
My garage's 2 slots are taken up by my 72 and 67 fords, so the Boss is outside but its my driver except for dead of winter/snow (wifes truck) So if it goes up my driveway debating using the cover, love the pic of how fitted it is with the mirror pockets very cool.

Before I had a garage, my Cobra used to spend its winters outside and I did cover it then. That being said, I never drove it in the winter at all, so it stayed covered for months at a time. If you are DDing the Boss, I wouldn't cover it at all. You would need to have the car clean before every time you cover it or you will trap dirt and dust under the cover and if the wind starts blowing...well it will be like sandpaper under there. I'm not sure if you want to wash it every time you put the cover on, especially in winter.

I used my cover for the first 2 nights I owned the vehicle, but then I worried if the car had any dust on it, that taking it off and on would cause it to scratch the paint so I stoppd using it. The cover does not have a soft lining inside of it. I put it back in the bag and stored it..

I use the cover, but my car is stored over winter. It is not outside, but in a garage that's not finished properly, so dirt can fall in from above (don't ask). The point is, if your situation calls for a cover (car sits long periods, will be exposed to some exterior material, etc) it can make sense. But if you are driving it daily, or have a clean secure garage its probably unnecessary.

Regarding the collector aspect, well, it will be a "nice to have", but way secondary to condition of the car etc. I wouldn't sweat opening it up at all if it means protecting your car.

I worried about the cover scratching the paint, too, but even after several months of putting it off and on at least a couple of times a week I haven't noticed any issues (and my LS is black so it shows off every mark). I actually alternate between the factory cover and the Covercraft one sold by American Muscle. My car is parked outside under a carport.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Or sell your '13 cover to me for $200 (as they say on Pawn Stars - cash money, crisp 100$ bills) :D

TMO Supporting Vendors