The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Cost of Renting Race Tracks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This was posted on MotorsportReg.com and thought those that go to track events might like to know what their organizers pay for track rental. At $50,000 a day no wonder COTA is so expensive for track days. :eek:

http://blog.motorsportreg.com/global-race-track-rental-fees?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=27607851&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-82UX4LQ3yw_KUg3YaaeOnnuPJ1J5-bETlwd0tMg7l5X3ohFQXfz64G_EGA5AVDZjugpD5rDdCJbxh8qzOQKARwVO0-OQ&_hsmi=27607851#.VvSXJBg1ZsU

What goes into the cost of organizing an HPDE, track day or race event on a road course? Many things, of course, but the largest fee is the track surface itself. It requires many experts to prepare, lay and maintain the specially formulated asphalt that resists high lateral G forces and somebody has to pay for it. That person is the event organizer, and by proxy, their participants. Today we're going to peek behind the curtain at the cost of road course rentals around the world.

Unless otherwise noted, these fees are only for booking the asphalt and do not include additional (typically, required) services like marshals, ambulance, emergency and rescue, radios, etc. These services can typically add another $3,000-10,000 per day to the cost of the facility.

Track When Price (per day)
Barber Motorsports Park Weekend $13,500
Circuit of the Americas (COTA) Weekend $50,000
Daytona Int'l Speedway Weekend $33,000
Homestead Weekend $8,500
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Winter Weekday $6,200 (90db) / $7,200 (92db)
Summer Weekday $14,000 (90db) / $15,000 (92db)
Anytime $20,000 (105db - Limited Qty.)
Mid Ohio Sports Car Course Weekday $12,000
MSR Houston Weekend $7,700
New Jersey (NJMP) Weekday $8,000
NOLA Motorsports Park Weekend $12,500
Road America Weekend $20,000
Road Atlanta Weekend $14,500
Sebring Int'l Raceway Weekend $13,000
Thunderhill Raceway Park Summer Weekend $5,000 (West) / $8,000 (East)
Winter Weekend $2,500 (West) / $5,000 (East)
Virginia Int'l Raceway (VIR) Weekend $15,500
Waterford Hills Weekday $2,250
Watkins Glen Weekend $20,000

Bay Area
I see that s being a reasonable price but being the analytical person I am I would have too see every line item. Im sure if any CFO's are here they would agree.

JUST MY .02

voodoo child21 said:
Insurance is the killer, need at least a $5,000,000 GL/ $5,000,000 Umbrella policy as a minimum at most tracks. I don't know the cost but will ask one of our organizer friends.
Is TMO thinking of branching out?
Not at this time. I have no time to run a track day and with HOD doing such a great job locally there's no reason for me to get involved. I thought it was interesting to see the prices of track rentals and thought others might be interested in seeing them as well.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
VoodooBOSS said:
Not at this time. I have no time to run a track day and with HOD doing such a great job locally there's no reason for me to get involved. I thought it was interesting to see the prices of track rentals and thought others might be interested in seeing them as well.

I think a TMO dedicated Track event would be excellent. Something centrally located to see if we could generate enough interest to justify the cost. Perhaps with some third party logistics involved. If planned far enough in advance, I would gladly volunteer my assistance. I'm sure others would help as well.

The cost for COTA is way out of line, just because its the US F-1 track there is no reason why it costs almost 20k more than Daytona. The first event that was booked there for a Drivers Ed. it showed what a PIA they were to deal with. They had a staff of so called workers that had to be used and and would not allow the usual group of TX region SCCA trained workers that have worked events at TWS/TMS and other area tracks for years. Their people that I met had not had any sort of training in F/C or Fire fighting, but they were acting like...... hey this is an F1 facility and you do it our way!

I haven't been back since and I understand not much has changed.

TymeSlayer said:
I think a TMO dedicated Track event would be excellent. Something centrally located to see if we could generate enough interest to justify the cost. Perhaps with some third party logistics involved. If planned far enough in advance, I would gladly volunteer my assistance. I'm sure others would help as well.
We basically already have that. It's the Mustang Roundup at MPH that moderator cloud9 came up with. There are a lot more than TMO members there but it would be hard to have an only TMO event and spread costs to break even. The Roundup is set for I believe it's fifth year this September. We have also had three TMO coordinated events in NorCal and our fourth will be on August 25th at Sonoma Raceway. You're close enough to Hastings to attend the Roundup.

VoodooBOSS said:
We basically already have that. It's the Mustang Roundup at MPH that moderator cloud9 came up with. There are a lot more than TMO members there but it would be hard to have an only TMO event and spread costs to break even. The Roundup is set for I believe it's fifth year this September. We have also had three TMO coordinated events in NorCal and our fourth will be on August 25th at Sonoma Raceway. You're close enough to Hastings to attend the Roundup.
It's actually number 6! ;D It's going to be huge this year and you won't want to miss it.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10373.0

TMO Supporting Vendors