The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Dead Cow's GT350 Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, I figured that I’d start my own thread since I’ve gotten so much out of all of yours. This will be more of a documentation of my experience with the car since I really don’t plan on doing a race car build with this one.

The GT350 is my first mustang and performance car. I ordered my car with electronics pkg in June of 2016 from a dealer in Georgia (I live in AZ). I did this because it was the only dealer I could find to sell it for sticker. I then had it fleet delivered for $250 to a nearby dealer who charges large ADM’s.

Since taking ownership of the vehicle I’ve attended the free GT350 Track Attack program and two track days with NASA. I’m currently in the DE2 group. Before that, early 2000’s, I raced TAG karts at the local club in Phoenix (PKRA).

The car handles great on track and has more than enough power, grip, brakes for my current abilities. Its awesome so far. The only hiccup has been a stuck thermostat which was a warranty item that was replaced during the recall service.

IMG_1107.jpegIMG_1083.jpegIMG_1334.jpg

Since it's too hot to track here, I'm working towards adding catch cans and acquiring the alignment that Ford recommends for track use.

Next up, caliper studs

Congratulations and clearly you picked the best color. ;) The caliper studs and oil separators are a great place to start. If you're going to track your car a lot consider camber plates. Good luck and have fun!

So I finally installed my Caliperfexion caliper studs after sitting on them for like 6 months. High quality hardware, I got the 4340 flavor. Very easy install considering everything you need is included. These should make life a little more painless for that aluminum knuckle.
IMG_1662.jpegIMG_1664.jpeg

I also sprang for the stud extensions as well. These are quite handy seeing as how the caliper is as big as a football.

IMG_1666.jpegIMG_1668.jpegIMG_1669.jpeg

https://caliperfexion.net

Last edited:
Congratulations and clearly you picked the best color. ;) The caliper studs and oil separators are a great place to start. If you're going to track your car a lot consider camber plates. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks!

Yeah I've decided to go with the lowering springs, camber plates, adj rear camber & toe links all at once so I only have to get the car aligned once LOL

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
We are heading back to AMP at the end of October, hope to see you there!

Also--ProAutosports www.proautosports.com is heading down to INDE Motorsports Ranch over Labor Day Weekend--it's a great track, you might want to check it out before the event sells out! I won't be attending this time, however.

Thanks for the heads up. Unless something pops up I plan on going. I'm looking forward to watching the race groups run on that track. Last time they had me in the trailer all day because DE1.

I didn't realize the events can sell out. I've been interested in checking out INDE since discovering it's existence earlier this year. You have now hyped me up all over again.

Since I'm new to tracking cars, what are some of your thoughts on ways to increase driver safety during track days?

Currently all the safety equipment is stock and I need the back seat, so a roll bar with a fixed back seat, Han's, and 6pt harness isn't an option ...right now.

The only thing I've found is a Simpson hybrid Han's device (link below).

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybrid/hybrid-s-3-point-belt-compatible/

Opinions?

I also got the Vorschlag camber plates & Ford performance lowering springs installed on the front. Everything went on without an issue.
IMG_1767.JPGIMG_1771.JPG
The rear is where I hit a snag and cross threaded a subframe bolt, doh! At this point I decided to take it to a shop to be fixed. Once it gets back I still have adjustable rear toe & camber links to install and then alignment.
IMG_1772.JPG

That's the idea. Chasing some threads isn't above me but if there's clearance issues with doing that then the subframe will need to be dropped. This is where I bow out due to lack of tools and extra hands. In any event, I should have it back by the weekend.

This issue makes it impossible to do the track day at INDE this weekend. Oh well it's not the end of the world especially because it's on the ProAutoSports schedule twice next year. I may go to the NASA track day at WHP West next weekend assuming the shop bill isn't astronomical.

Ok so I got the car back from the shop and they were able to chase the threads no problem. Yay!
Since that happened, I missed yet another track day with NASA this weekend at the Bondurant track; oh well it's kinda really hot still anyway.

I did get my BMR adjustable toe links and Steeda adjustable camber links installed. Pretty easy install.
FullSizeRender-1.jpgIMG_1838.JPGIMG_1837.JPG
Now to go for alignment. I think I'm just going to go with the FP track alignment specs since I don't drive many miles on the street anyway.

At least no permanent damage! Now you just need to get out to the track again!

Hell yeah! Looks like my next opportunity will be Oct 7/8 WHP West with ProAutoSports or Oct 28/29 AMP with NASA. Still undecided at this point, although Thunderhill is just too far for me right now.

Are you racing both series or just one? Sorry if the question is redundant but I'm only half way through your build thread so I'm like a year or two behind.

Good stuff!

Thank you sir, I see your ride is coming along nicely. I'm interested to hear your take on that QA1 driveshaft you got.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have been running NASA primarily this year due to the level of competition as well as funding availability. I will run AMP on October 28/29.
However, I will run with ProAuto on Thanksgiving...and I plan on going to both of their INDE events next year.

I'd probably run both series full time if I didn't have a truck payment right now...

TMO Supporting Vendors