The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The demise of my Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
It's been said that good judgment comes from experience & experience comes from bad judgment. On Sunday I got a huge dose of experience.. While chasing a Z06 Vette around Sonoma I got a bit overzealous out of turn 7 and spun into the inside wall. After pouring myself into this car over the last 4 years I'm afraid it is a total loss 😫

20220522_132330_HDR.jpg
20220522_132257_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Thank you! I forgot to mention that I was unharmed, just a few small glass cuts and some harness rash. It's too soon for me to think about starting another project. Wifey was pretty freaked out when my car got pulled from the track and they were still checking me out in an ambulance. Word to the wise: always bring you cellphone with!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Glad that you’re OK. Painful to see this, as I know how much time, thought and energy you poured into the fabrication of the cooling setup, which turned out to be one of nicest around. With your fab skills, I hope you decide to bring the car back to life but fully understand how deflating this has feel.

Wow, so sorry.......glad you are ok. I am in the process of replacing my motor after it blew and I sometimes question why I am spending so much money on this hobby that I love. I'm getting closer to retirement and that cash would probably be better in my IRA. I'm not sure what I would do if I was in the same situation. My issue was not the same as yours but my wife freaked for a different reason......either way this is a hobby with risks.

Ohhhhh man I’m so sorry. Glad you’re unhurt. This can happen so easily. The waves of emotions after something like this can be really tough. Hang in there and hope you can avoid making any big decisions while this is still fresh.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
It's been said that good judgment comes from experience & experience comes from bad judgment. On Sunday I got a huge dose of experience.. While chasing a Z06 Vette around Sonoma I got a bit overzealous out of turn 7 and spun into the inside wall. After pouring myself into this car over the last 4 years I'm afraid it is a total loss 😫

View attachment 76115
View attachment 76113
😞 oh damn, that's a tough one. Just a little bit of oversteer at the wrong moment. Sorry to see that. Glad you weren't hurt, but it's still probably pretty painful right now.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Getting thru that bad deal unhurt is all relative.............I'm sure your heart and soul are still recovering........time heals all kind of wounds........hang in there!!
Thanks for the kind words. I'm very grateful that no one got hurt & no other cars were involved.
Material losses can & will be overcome

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
nooooo.

looks like i wasnt the only casualty from sonoma this past weekend

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Very glad your ok!! Looks like a nasty bang.... But... I actually think it might be fixable??
I haven't had the heart to take a closer look at the extent of the damage yet. I know both frame rails are bent to the right significantly. After the 1st hit the car spun and hit the rear corner too. If it is worth repairs I would probably abandon the idea of a dual purpose car and gut/cage it. Unfortunately I don't think my insurance will cover me.20220522_132356_HDR~2.jpg

Ugh, I am sorry. So glad you are okay. I like the idea of transferring all the parts you can into another shell. That's one of the nice things about the s197, lots of good shells out there.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Happy that no one was hurt. My wife freaks out if I spin out. I would hate to deal with her after coming off track in an ambulance.

TMO Supporting Vendors