The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Final Roundup at Texas World Speedway!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Join Track Guys, Mustang Club of America and SMC Events for a TEXAS sized going away party for the historic Texas World Speedway. Mark your calendars for March 26-29 as we will say goodbye to TWS with three days of track time – including Track Guys professional driving school and instructors, a HUGE car show, a poker run, catered dinner, parade laps on track, tons of vendors, VIP’s and MORE! Check out www.thefinalroundup.com for more information! Mustangs and clubs from all over Texas and the south are signing up. It goes without saying that this will be an amazing event and your last opportunity to see TWS before it goes away forever :'(

blacksheep-1 said:
any time a track closes it's a shame..

http://www.lostspeedways.com/
What no mention of Riverside Raceway or the Ontario Motor Speedway?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Riverside was an awesome track for stock body race cars of all types, really wish it was still open, Ontario was a clone of Indy, cool idea.
Sad to lose historic places but the real estate is worth so much more than the revenue a race track can produce, that's why most historic tracks are in the boondocks and the ones close to population centers are under constant threat of being sold or legislated out of existence through sound and day of operation ordinances. Laguna Seca and Lime Rock come to mind as targets of Community groups that have existed only for the last 20 years while the tracks have been around since 1957.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
I'll be attending the TWS celebration. I have great memories of going with my dad to Bridgehampton (RIP) and Lime Rock in the mid-to-late 60's while growing up in Queens. If I remember correctly there was an NHRA track in Center Moriches ?? back then also before Englishtown in NJ.

Tulsa, OK
Wish I could make it back this year! Had a blast at the last event ;D

This track is soooo fast with lots of high speed corners. Here is my exciting moment from last year :eek:

http://youtu.be/KyMANJ16Kdw?list=UUmaSn8oq2xjta40yaX6ZSVA

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Roadhouse:

It looked like you just ran out if track, did you just carry too much speed in to that corner and rather than run an oversteer condition, you just drive it off track? Did you make your turn in just a tad early?

I couldn't tell but I didn't sense any loss of control while on the tarmac. Can you walk me through what happened before the off?

Thank you for sharing,
Dave
302 HP

Tulsa, OK
302 Hi Pro said:
Roadhouse:

It looked like you just ran out if track, did you just carry too much speed in to that corner and rather than run an oversteer condition, you just drive it off track? Did you make your turn in just a tad early?

I couldn't tell but I didn't sense any loss of control while on the tarmac. Can you walk me through what happened before the off?

Thank you for sharing,
Dave
302 HP

Yes, I turned in just a little too early and aggressively hit the curbing which wasn't the greatest thing to do at this point of the track. When I hit the curbing it bounced the car off line a little bit and at the time I didn't believe I could safely keep the car on track. I made the call to drive straight off rather than go off sideways trying to save it and maybe risk rolling the car. I might have been able to keep it on track but in that split second that's the decision I went with. Luckily everything came out ok! Plenty of others have had bad luck going off on that corner...

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
roadhouse said:
Yes, I turned in just a little too early and aggressively hit the curbing which wasn't the greatest thing to do at this point of the track. When I hit the curbing it bounced the car off line a little bit and at the time I didn't believe I could safely keep the car on track. I made the call to drive straight off rather than go off sideways trying to save it and maybe risk rolling the car. I might have been able to keep it on track but in that split second that's the decision I went with. Luckily everything came out ok! Plenty of others have had bad luck going off on that corner...

Road House:

I totally agree with you and would have done the same thing. Good Call! Watching the video, you don't get any indication of the inner curb contact, but I can imagine how that would "bounce" the car to the right as you mentioned.

If your racing, (and you truly were), some point, everyone either has, or will have an Off. It's part of the learning process in my mind.

Again thank you for sharing this, as its a valuable learning aid for timing and turn in.

Kind Regards,
Dave
302 HP

Fomoco302 said:
I'll be attending the TWS celebration. I have great memories of going with my dad to Bridgehampton (RIP) and Lime Rock in the mid-to-late 60's while growing up in Queens. If I remember correctly there was an NHRA track in Center Moriches ?? back then also before Englishtown in NJ.
Yes it was called National Speedway and was one of the best known tracks in it's day.

Excellent news! Ford is sending a new GT350 as well as Jim Owens to to speak at the dinner of www.thefinalroundup.com! Join us March 27-29 and find out what else Ford is sending for us!

Just keeps getting better and better!

NFSBOSS said:
What no mention of Riverside Raceway or the Ontario Motor Speedway?

I'm sure they're in their someplace, but there a literally hundreds of them...

Anthracite Raceway in Port Carbon PA

acBx40Ll.png

on facebook: Retired Racing Vehicles and Abandoned Race (Ghost) Tracks

Track time is sold out yes :'(, but the car show, poker run, parade laps and dinner are still open. Plus you get to see the new 350 (and something else!!!) in person.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel