The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The first Real Ride this morning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I only had 136 miles.

I live in a pretty killer part of Florida - Land O Lakes to be exact. This area of west central Florida is known for really nice motorcycle roads. I decided that I would get up early today and ride one. I have heard great things about the "Green Swamp Loop". It seems that every Saturday or Sunday there is another group of bikers meeting to head up that way. I plugged the route into my Garmin and headed out.

http://www.2uptouring.com/Motorcycle-Rides/Florida-Motorcycle-Roads-Green-Swamp-Encounter.aspx

Wow. I drove 156 miles this morning taking about 3.3 hours to complete the loop. I was constantly going through the gears, engine breaking, down shifting, getting on it to 4000 rpm in the straight to get the rings seated. There was not a car in sight. I had the entire trail to myself short of some Goldwings and a couple of BMW bikes.

I cannot believe the balance of this car. I also cannot believe how insignificant it feels at speed. My daily driver is a 2010 4Runner. Trust me when I say that you KNOW when you are going 70 MPH in that thing. I did 80-85 on a couple of back roads today and it felt like I was going 40.

I was so concerned about spending 43k on a "mustang". I was so concerned about buyers remorse. After today's ride I don't think that will ever happen.

ArizonaGT said:
Just wait until you take it to 7500
Yep. No need to wait you can take it to the promised land now. ;D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I had a similar experience...twice. I ordered my Brembo GT a week before the formal announcement on the Boss. I still took delivery of the GT because I thought, 'I don't need a Boss...' and didn't want to wait. I was so impressed with the GT compared to my stock '03 Cobra right off the bat driving around during break-in. Through the next year, with all the press and coverage of the Boss I had to wonder how *much* better could the Boss be? A year after I took delivery of the GT, the prices of the Bosses had come off their highs and I had to find out for myself...Glad I did, and I have no regrets too!

Welcome to the club!

;D With just over 200 miles on my car, I took it out for it's first real "outing" today. Ran it up to over 6000 RPM a few times. Having grown up with big-cube, high-torque, 5200-red-line Oldsmobiles, I have to say that this high-winding business is a lot of fun. I've had a few other S197 Mustangs, including a GT500, but they're nothing compared to the Boss. This car is much more planted and much more responsive. I replaced the exhaust restrictors with 1/2" versions, and the snarl at WOT at 6000 RPM is awesome. This car is going to be sooooo much fun!

Sesshomurai

I've been a life long camaro guy. First car was a '78 rally sport. I got halfway through an article on the boss in some magazine and have been "all in" from that point. Had to have it.

Never did finish the article.... :D

TMO Supporting Vendors