The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Ford Maverick will soon be a Compact Pickup Truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
For all of us in the auto parts business, these will be a very welcome addition to the fleet listings. There has been a huge void in small pickups for parts delivery for a long time. The rolling fleet is FULL of 300-400k+ mile Rangers and older Colorados. Modern safety standards, 40mpg city and low $20k’s - white body fleet sales is where Ford will kill it with this pickup.

GA
Serious discussion, what's the cheapest way to tow a mustang that can fit 4 extra wheels for a rainy track day with a chance of sun? I could use a truck and trailer combo.

GA
Cheapest would be a trailer hitch for the Mustang and a small trailer. Other than that, a used truck and trailer.
Used truck and a trailer was what I was leaning towards. Was hoping to get what has worked. I saw the newest Ranger with a flatbed trailer towing a mx-5. LOL would have been nice to a mustang being towed to confirm that idea.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Ford lists towing capacities, frontal area, weights etc. on their website. Google Ford towing capacity for a year you are interested in and have a look see.
An open trailer will tow much easier than an enclosed trailer. Frontal area is as demanding on a tow vehicle as weight.
I had an eco boost V-6 which pulled on open trailer with ease. When I went up to an enclosed trailer the V-6 struggled.
Unfortunately good deals on trailers and used trucks are slim. Good luck

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Used truck and a trailer was what I was leaning towards. Was hoping to get what has worked. I saw the newest Ranger with a flatbed trailer towing a mx-5. LOL would have been nice to a mustang being towed to confirm that idea.
Several guys here locally towing their S197’s with Rangers and seem to really like them. All open trailers that I’m aware of. @Oxford5pointoh here and on IG - hit him up for feedback

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Years of working in the Industry and having the "World's Largest Ford Truck Store " for 14 years across the street from where I mainly worked ( Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram ) the towing situation obviously came up every day. The Ford Store is no longer the largest as the company bought 2 more Stores and they do rob a bit from each other. The Ram Store I worked at was #2 in the US for about 3 years so a lot of towing info went through the Salesperson's brains as it is often a key to making the sale. I pull a 26 ft enclosed trailer with a 5.7 Hemi CrewCab Ram and it does very well. Guys with the new V6 Ecoboost's do pretty well also , but the real disadvantage with enclosed trailers is gas mileage sucks!!!! Have quite a few friends yanking around open trailers with Rangers, though all are with open trailers. Just check with your Dealer or I can get you in contact with someone , and they can assist your concerns.

Right now the used market is around 20-30% higher than last year , the new market has few incentives, but then if you get more for your trade it balances out. Trailers are tough to get also, as TMS noted, but again the used ones are so darn close to what a new one might cost , you might see what it would cost to have one built for you ( if none in your area ).

Open trailers do have one very big plus besides less cost and that is that fuel mileage does not suffer that bad. They are not affected by the wind as bad also. On the downside once at the track no protection from the weather and of course you can not bring as much stuff to the track. Weigh what is important to you and best of luck , but a new truck and new trailer may be closer to a used truck and trailer ( especially since most used trucks on the market are full size).

Just a general point of reference, the ford F150 ecoboost is great for casual towing, you see them all over Florida, however, Florida is a flat state, very few hills, absolutely no mountains, and of course, it's at sea level. All this figures in because towing in Colorado would be a much different deal than towing in FL. That being said, you might be able to get away with towing your mustang with a Ranger, but I would not recommend it not only because of the potential power issue, but stability as well. When you are towing, a long wheel base (and trailer brakes on both axles) are your friend.
So, assuming I'm correct, there are some used vehicles out there that you may consider.
One of the biggest values for the dollar right now is the V10 F250/350 These were not a popular truck because most folks just bought the diesel, but those v10s powered a metric crap ton of RVs. Those things ended up in Ford commercial chassis virtually every where, and they are very dependable. The v10 is no longer produced, but there are crew cab dualies out there that can be had for cheapo prices.
If you are towing casually, then the ecoboost is a great choice, especially is the truck doubles as a daily driver, but if you haul large loads, and tow often, you really can't beat a V8, they are bulletproof, both the 4.6 (my 2010 4.6 has 182K on it right now)and the 5.4 are good engines. The 4.6 was the cheaper option, so you might be able to find one of them, the 3V engines were last produced in 2010 for trucks, and people that own them drive them to dust, so don't expect to find many of them.
The problem you are going to run into is what Bill mentioned, used trucks are going for what new trucks cost. You will probably need to go back 5 years to get something reasonable, and at that point the mileage may be excessive.
One problem you will have is finding a well maintained truck, so.. I would search Enterprise, Avis, Hertz and other rental companies, these guys take good care of their vehicles (and unless rented to some of the guys I know) haven't been beat up. I bought both of my last trucks from rental fleets.
Buying a trailer is another issue, IMO most used trailers are not well maintained, even if low mileage, they've set out side and are rusty. So if you can find a trailer that meets your needs for under $1500 (they are out there) be prepared to replace the wood in the bed, maybe the tires from dry rotting and go over the bearings and brakes. Wood plank beds, don't faze me, but some people don't like them, they do take away from the cargo weight a little bit. The big thing is, try to find one with a dove tail, and I like the ramps that store under the end of the trailer so you just have to pull them out, no pulling them out and carrying them around. LED lights are a massive plus, and so are brakes on both axles.
Hope this helps, good hunting.

The El Camino concept was popular way back then..it seems like what above was trying to achieve...my Tacoma is just the right size for me.......................
Those POS (el caminos) were deadly for towing, they didn't have enough brakes, wheelbase, and most of all, were coil springs.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Rob

Good point, flat land vs hill/mountain towing. Having to drop down to third or fourth gear to pull a grade had the V-6 screaming in my F-150. That's why I went up to a F-250 diesel. Pulling a brick (Enclosed Trailer), aerodynamically speaking at 75 was almost impossible. Open trailer, no problem. I was towing from Chicago area to VIR a couple times a year then. The mountains (Hills if you are from out west) in VA and W.VA taxed the 150 V-6. The only time I was in 6th gear was with a tail wind. A V-8 would be recommended. I know Tyme has a coyote powered 150 and loves it.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Sorry Bill, But the Ranchero was just Ford's lame answer to the El Camino............Chevy won that battle...............
302 Bob

Ranchero came out in 57 the El Camino in 59. Chevy was answering to Ford on this one. After 59 they stopped production, Ford continued. Chevy came back in 64 with their second gen El Camino. Not sure the claim of Ford answering Chevy holds water.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Understand TMS, just bringing up since the new 10 speed, gearing, hp, etc. has meant higher towing capacities for the F150 Ecoboost and though I am no longer at Woodhouse Auto Family or Woodhouse Ford specifically, I have sent some friends down there in the last 6-9 months and they are quite pleased with the new Max. Towing set-up on the F150 ( one guy pulls a 24 ft. trailer and another a 26 ft enclosed trailer ). The problem now is many places don't have a lot of trucks with the market the way it is , though Woodhouse is in pretty good shape -- selling stuff incoming quite often. I still think the Ranger and open trailer is a good option for someone wanting to pull their Stang and keep the cost down some.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Bill

Agree. I puller a camping trailer, 24ft with a V-6 4.0 ranger. Stability was an issue and towing above 60-65 did not happen. My F-150 was rated for the job, pulling an enclosed trailer, it just worked awfully hard accomplishing the task. Yes, it was a 2014 model. With fuel burn at about 4 MPG is was a no brainer trading up. I have pulled an enclosed trailer from the Chicago area to all three coasts. I wanted the confidence and MPG of the diesel. My last run netted 10.5 MPG at 75 MPH pulling my 28' enclosed trailer.

Back to the original point/question. I am a YES fully for the f-150 with an open trailer. I did it, loved it and recommend it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel