The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Greatest Drivers of all time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just like the subject says.

Who do you feel was the greatest driver or drivers of all time. You can only pick two. First one being Greatest F1 pilot. The second, a driver you would pick any day of the week to drive any car you need them to. From strapping into a F1 car, to helping you win the 24 at LeMans.

I will go first.

F1-Ayrton Senna....sad that May 1st was the 19th anniversary of his death.

Journeyman-Stirling Moss. In his prime, he was darn near unbeatable, and could/would drive just about anything with wheels.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Mario Andretti- Won Indy 500, Daytona 500 and Formula 1 World Championship. Also USAC Championships and CART . Could drive anything and win.
AJ Foyt- Won Indy 4 times in both front and rear engine cars, 24 Hours of LeMans and Daytona, Daytona 500 in the Wood Brothers 21 car. Also could drive anything anywhere and win. 6 time USA national champion.
Aryton Senna- Most Talented and ruthless racer. 3 time F1 champion, watch 1993 British Grand Prix at Donnington. In the rain in the 4th best car in the field moved out to a 90 second lead over Prost, Schumacher and Hill in 5 laps. Out qualified Prost at Monaco by 2 seconds as teammate in the same car. God like car control and will to win.
Michael Schumacher-91 F1 Victories and 7 World Titles. Cerebral driver who had brilliant speed when needed but motivated team to give him the best cars where ever he went. Killer instinct on track and could run off strings of fast laps to demoralize opponents.

Steve

1. Juan Manuel Fangio - Saw him honored at Laguna one year at the historics before he passed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Manuel_Fangio

2. Steve McQueen.

mcqueen1.jpg

steveespo said:
Mario Andretti- Won Indy 500, Daytona 500 and Formula 1 World Championship. Also USAC Championships and CART . Could drive anything and win.
AJ Foyt- Won Indy 4 times in both front and rear engine cars, 24 Hours of LeMans and Daytona, Daytona 500 in the Wood Brothers 21 car. Also could drive anything anywhere and win. 6 time USA national champion.
Aryton Senna- Most Talented and ruthless racer. 3 time F1 champion, watch 1993 British Grand Prix at Donnington. In the rain in the 4th best car in the field moved out to a 90 second lead over Prost, Schumacher and Hill in 5 laps. Out qualified Prost at Monaco by 2 seconds as teammate in the same car. God like car control and will to win.
We think alike but it's hard to pick Mario over AJ. I have a nice Mario story. Back in 1996 when I was in the restaurant business I attended a trade show and Texaco was right across the walkway from us. And who shows up in their booth? Mario of course. This was when CART and IRL had their split. Anyway nobody was over talking to one of the greatest race car drivers of all time so I spent about a half an hour BSing with him. He was very friendly and pretty funny too. I still have the autographed photo of him from that day.

I'm surprised Fat Boss didn't have Carroll Shelby on his list. ;)

For anyone who hasn't seen the movie Senna go out and rent it.

Reading A.J's bio on wiki, my lord, what a beast. And for some reason, his name really never crossed my mind.

His winning stint at LeMans in '67 is enough to win over my vote. 10 laps of practice on a course he never set foot on, and driving over 18 hours of the race himself....WOW! C'mon Gurney, pack an alarm clock for cryin' out loud.

NFSBOSS said:
We think alike but it's hard to pick Mario over AJ. I have a nice Mario story. Back in 1996 when I was in the restaurant business I attended a trade show and Texaco was right across the walkway from us. And who shows up in their booth? Mario of course. This was when CART and IRL had their split. Anyway nobody was over talking to one of the greatest race car drivers of all time so I spent about a half an hour BSing with him. He was very friendly and pretty funny too. I still have the autographed photo of him from that day.

Having worked the CART/ Indycar pits at St. Pete for years I was able to meet both Foyt and Mario, I was always a Foyt fan as a kid but Foyt is really hard to get along with and kind of an angry guy. Mario, on the other hand is one of the nicest people you could ever want to meet,and would always take time to say hello, a great ambassador for the sport.

Also, don't forget Rick Mears, he totally wrote of a car at Indy, got into the backup and set the track record back in the late 80s/ early 90s.

TMO Supporting Vendors