The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The GT350 Flat Plane Crank Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feast your eyes on this beauty. Click on the photos to make them larger.

Regarding the intake it fits on the 5.0 and should make similar power to the CJ intake. Let's hope Ford Performance offers a kit on this later this year. ;)

http://www.hotrod.com/news/first-look-inside-the-ford-gt350s-flat-plane-crank-5-2l-v8/#photo-02

ford-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--1-.jpg

ford-booth-naias-2015-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--8-.jpg

ford-booth-naias-2015-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--7-.jpg

ford-booth-naias-2015-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--6-.jpg

ford-booth-naias-2015-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--4-.jpg

ford-booth-naias-2015-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--3-.jpg

ford-booth-naias-2015-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--2-.jpg

ford-booth-naias-2015-043.jpg

ford-booth-naias-2015-042.jpg

ford-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--11-.jpg

ford-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--7-.jpg

ford-flat-plane-crank-5.2l-v8--6-.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
fuhrius said:
I wonder why they didn't go with a dry sump given the car's intended use. (is there a good reason not to use a dry sump other than cost?)
Just a guess- on this shared platform, there would be no benefit of being able to lower the engine for a better CG. without that, the cost/benefit ratio is diminished somewhat.

Love this motor but I would not want it for a weekend warrior. its exotic, and as such its flat plane - that really only matters if you can't package big exhaust headers. the rotating mass saved isn't that amazing and its clearly offset by the counter weighting needs.

I know some folks who watched this sucker crack blocks in half and that's just the start of it during early development towards much higher rpm. its an exotic engine that's for sure.

TMSBOSS said:
Yes. But it is also an exotic with a warranty. Not to mention affordable.
Excellent point. I'm waiting until the second year to buy anyway so if there are any issues, and I doubt there will be, they will have already been addressed. I do share the same concern that the counter weighting offsets the lighter rotating mass. My guess is Ford bumped up the displacement for more torque but that might have also made the harmonics worse at the same time. Regardless it sounds and looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MyLHStnfb9E

NFSBOSS said:
Excellent point. I'm waiting until the second year to buy anyway so if there are any issues, and I doubt there will be, they will have already been addressed.

I would think and hope the same but....
That did not happen with our Boss cars. Same shifting and clutch issuies on the 12 & 13.
Only good thing was the GOOD OLD SKIP SHIFT...Lol Man that was the worst feature Ford invented.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I would venture to say the cost of the engine cut-away display might just buy you a new GT350R. That is an amazing engine display.

Any word on when we can expect the release of the full FPC specs?

It will be exciting times when for Ford decides to take the GT350R racing.

302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Without exception, this is what lead me to the special order and purchase of my 2012 KB Boss 302 Mustang. IMO, this is still the best naturally aspirated production engine Ford has ever produced.

Sometimes we can forget what a master piece this is and the significant improvements the U Code Boss 302 has over the GT 302 Coyote engine.

Great link and a nice refresher on our U Code engine.

Enjoy it and drive it,
302 Hi Pro

Motor Trend article on the motor (sorry if its already been posted elsewhere):
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/flat-out-an-in-depth-look-at-the-ford-shelby-gt350-mustang-engine/ar-BBkEEVt#image=BBkELeG|1

athens7 said:
Motor Trend article on the motor (sorry if its already been posted elsewhere):
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/flat-out-an-in-depth-look-at-the-ford-shelby-gt350-mustang-engine/ar-BBkEEVt#image=BBkELeG|1
Great article, thanks for posting. I didn't realize there were multiple FPC versions. You can see the UDUD design in the crank pic Rick posted above. I've been watching some of those animations to try and understand it, but not sure they're modeling this design. I wondered how they were going to deal with the added grip of the GT350 wider wheels/tires and better suspension in terms of potential oil starvation and it looks like we're getting 10.5 quarts and an even better pan.

This animation looks like UDDU......
https://youtu.be/2AzrOPPZFzs

Why cant a car like the GT350R come from the factory with long tube headers and have cats bolted up to them. I mean, they go as far as shorty headers. Why not long tube. Im sure the cost should not be anything to even think about. could it just be that with long tube headres, they would be unable to make it emmision friendly? Or is FORD saying heareds are a waste. Eighter way that engine has a sound all of it own!

TMO Supporting Vendors