The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The GT350 Flat Plane Crank Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just spoke to a Ford GT350 product rep at the American Muscle show. They have an R here. He confirmed that the rev limiting info outlined above is exactly as its stated. After 8 seconds of high reving the safety limiter will kick in and drop the rpm below 6250. I questioned him on this and he told me it is a safety feature to prevent overheating that can only be overridden by a custom tune. He did say they've tested it extensively and it has not impeded on track performance. I'm not sure if I buy that...he found it hard to believe that a non-race prepped car would need that high of reving for more than 8sec at any road course. I guess we will see how it works out when Gary gets his on track (soon I'm suspecting).

That said, the car looks amazing...much better in person! Color was Avalanche white with white top and no stripes.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Well I guess it is in there. For an example I spend 9 seconds on the low esses at VIR at RPM between 6250-7500, I then spend 15 continuous seconds from Oak Tree to the brake zone for the roller coaster between 6250 and 7700. Watkins Glen Esses to the back straight is more of a 5th gear pull but I do peak out above 6250 after spending some time in 4th above 7000. Might require some playing with gear selection or it might just call for long tubes and a tune!

I agree with you about VIR and the Glen, Steve. I guess we will see how it plays out once we get some real world data from the early purchasers. I'm thinking the speed differential between the GT350 and Boss may result in lower sustained RPM in many areas where the Boss motor is over 6250.

KBBOSS1086 said:
I just spoke to a Ford GT350 product rep at the American Muscle show. They have an R here. He confirmed that the rev limiting info outlined above is exactly as its stated. After 8 seconds of high reving the safety limiter will kick in and drop the rpm below 6250. I questioned him on this and he told me it is a safety feature to prevent overheating that can only be overridden by a custom tune. He did say they've tested it extensively and it has not impeded on track performance. I'm not sure if I buy that...he found it hard to believe that a non-race prepped car would need that high of reving for more than 8sec at any road course. I guess we will see how it works out when Gary gets his on track (soon I'm suspecting).

That said, the car looks amazing...much better in person! Color was Avalanche white with white top and no stripes.
Can't wait to find out! :D. It might not be until spring depending on delivery date. Last track event is 10/17 so we shall see! Of course October in Nebraska shouldn't cause any overheating concerns but might get to use the heater :)

Further discussion with the GT 350 rep and I'm not overly impressed with his knowledge. Apparently, it's against policy to let prospective buyers sit in the car and they can only start it once an hour! Still waiting to hear it in person.

Not only were we allowed to sit in the cars they are giving VIP hot laps. I'll post my video later. ;)

The guy driving my car during the hot laps kept the R's up with no issues. I doubt this is going to be a problem.

VooDooBOSS said:
Not only were we allowed to sit in the cars they are giving VIP hot laps. I'll post my video later. ;)

The guy driving my car during the hot laps kept the R's up with no issues. I doubt this is going to be a problem.

Must be an East coast thing. The rep I spoke to just didn't seem very passionate or enthused about the car. He was very difficult to talk to. Anyhow, here are some motor pics and exhaust video. About half way through the video he changes the setting from track to street...noticeable change in tone and volume (max rev during the video was around 6000rpm). I got some great pics of the new Saleen that I'm going to post in the S550 section...looks sharp. Also, additional GT350 pics in separate thread.

image.jpg1_6.jpg

image.jpg3.png

image.jpg2_4.jpg

image.jpg1_7.jpg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOg9wCyes4

TMO Supporting Vendors