The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The GT350 vs ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We'll use this thread for direct on track comparisons. Ford has stated the GT350R is as fast as a Porsche 991 GT3 so we know it will be an incredible car. Below is a refresher of a comparison between a GT3 and Z/28. Holy smokes this is a great time to be a car guy. :p Just the thought that a GT350R, or a Z/28 for that matter, can compete with the latest GT3 on track is mind boggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXIanT7cr00

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
VooDooBOSS said:
Just the thought that a GT350R, or a Z/28 for that matter, can compete with the latest GT3 on track is mind boggling.

Yes indeed, especially when we consider the price difference in terms of MSRP. Never thought I would see this again, but These are the good ole days for Detroit muscle.

In the year 2065 our great grandchildren will say something like, "Hey did you see the propulsion unit Ford put in the Mustang? It's something called an internal combustion engine, ever hear of anything like that before?

Dave
2HP

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Cliff Harris is an amazing driver and reviewer. Whoa! That guy can drive!!!!

Amazing that in the other video the Boss 302 is still mentioned in that company of cars. Certainly a compliment to the best and I believe iconic model of the last generation Mustang.

I was able to run with 2007 to 2010 standard GT3s at track events with my standard Boss and 1LE's. Z28's were tough but didn't run away from me. They could carry more momentum through some turns with those 305's. Quite a statement for a car with only 275s and a stick axle and struts.

Will look to add a new GT350 with track pack to the stable as soon as ADMs quite down or they start showing up the used market.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Agreed. The new 991 GT3 is fast! The 4 wheel steering is amazing. :eek: The Boss struggles to keep pace stock.

The new GT350 will definitely be a car to own. Hopefully ADMs don't keep them from people.

not sure what he said but from my view. He is not a high performance car driver. Holds the wheel like a bus driver. Also there tracks have alot of dirt on them. what's up with that?
However....I do like that GT3 RS.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4yA3UoTRo

Little exhaust comparison I did between the two cars plus a going away burnout for the boss. First one I ever did in the car. I also let my sister do a launch in the car prior to the burnout that you'll see in the video.

Enjoy

Bay Area
VoodooBOSS said:
Remove your resonators and the 350 will sound a lot meaner. I was surprised how much of a difference it makes. ;) In your video it's pretty close but I'd say the 350 sounds better because it's different sounding. I call it American Exotic.

I'd call it MUUURXOTICA

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJOslDFBbE

Another comparison video of the exhaust notes on track. The boss is not on the stock exhaust but the gt350 is completely stock.

Enjoy and subscribe to the channel, thanks.

Adam

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
https://youtu.be/VV0zVcU9Z64

I am obviously pushing the Boss a little harder. This was my first track day in the GT350 but man was the Boss fast on those Pirelli slicks. If I had slicks on the GT350 and some more aggressive pads no doubt I would set a faster lap time. I vowed not to do slicks anymore as they don't make the car anymore enjoyable. They just set faster lap times and tear the car up faster. The GT350 is a better drivers car and I'm just enjoying it.

Adam

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Love all your videos , but your last statement has me completely baffled ----- no more Pirellis since one has no more fun, you just set faster lap times and tear the car up faster? That is what track time is all about for me , figuring out ways to go faster and will have to disagree on a personal level, as I think the slicks make the car much, much more enjoyable , not to mention more thrilling!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Bill, don't get me wrong...I love slicks and they are addicting. I'm at a point now where I'm realizing the car doesn't necessary have to be fast to be fun. It's awesome to be on slicks and be the fastest car on the track. In the Boss on those Pirelli slicks there weren't too many cars that could keep up with me.

I will try to articulate this part the best I can and I hope it comes across right...ok, here goes:

On a street tire, for example the Pilot Super Sport, I actually enjoy the car more than on the Pirelli slicks I was using. Another example is motor trends best drivers car competition they do every year. It's not about the car that sets the fastest lap time, though the best drivers car is usually up near the top, it's about the experience, the balance of the car, everything working together in harmony. I feel like slicks take away some of that experience. The GT350 was engineered and the tires are part of that engineering structure. I'm just going to enjoy driving the GT350 and not worry so much about turning it into a race car and setting the fastest lap time like I did the Boss 302. I will take the car to the track, drive it, then take it home. No more time spent under the car fixing this or fixing that. All those aftermarket parts that break, or worrying about the reliability of the car. I really enjoy the car just the way it is. The only modifications I see myself doing are lighter wheels, a one piece driveshaft, and maybe switching to the PS4 tires when they come out. That's just my opinion...for now at least :)

Flyboygsxr said:
The GT350 was engineered and the tires are part of that engineering structure. I'm just going to enjoy driving the GT350 and not worry so much about turning it into a race car and setting the fastest lap time like I did the Boss 302. I will take the car to the track, drive it, then take it home. No more time spent under the car fixing this or fixing that. All those aftermarket parts that break, or worrying about the reliability of the car. I really enjoy the car just the way it is. The only modifications I see myself doing are lighter wheels, a one piece driveshaft, and maybe switching to the PS4 tires when they come out. That's just my opinion...for now at least :)
That pretty well sums it up. CC plates, lighter wheels and stickier tires, better brake pads and you're good to go. The only other two mods I'm considering is a CF DS and MGW shifter.

TMO Supporting Vendors