The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The magnetic plug topic, e. g. oil pan, rear diff etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am wondering where you have which magnetic plugs installed and where you have bought them and the experience you have made.

I am aware of magnetic plugs for the oil pan and the rear diff, but I have troubles to find the proper parts.

And is there any other area where magnetic plugs would make sense?

zzyzx

Steve
I have a 2013 and both plugs on the rear diff are magnetic, which means you can buy them from Ford.

zzyzx said:
I have a 2013 and both plugs on the rear diff are magnetic, which means you can buy them from Ford.

On the 2012 models we do not have fill and drain plugs from the factory as you seem to have with the 2013 model. I do not find any when searching via google on a Ford related website, or perhaps I just do not search good enough. ???

Orange said:
On the 2012 models we do not have fill and drain plugs from the factory as you seem to have with the 2013 model. I do not find any when searching via google on a Ford related website, or perhaps I just do not search good enough. ???

Hell yea, I had to do this myself (and, yes I put magnetic) this is why I hate the 13 owners with all their little goodies and no over heating problems :mad:

;D

YellowBoss said:
Hell yea, I had to do this myself (and, yes I put magnetic) this is why I hate the 13 owners with all their little goodies and no over heating problems :mad:

;D

Which rear axle cover do you have and which magnetic plug have you bought exactly? What I found so far for transition and engine is the following: M14 Engine & Trans Set http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Oil_Drain_Plugs-23366-1.html

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Stock fill plug at front of differential housing is a magnetic plug. Each time I change gear lube I clean it of small steel paste fom wear particles. Also use suction pump to remove the traces of lube left in the bottom of the housing up near the pion bearing to clean out as much gunk as I can.
Steve

Orange said:
Which rear axle cover do you have and which magnetic plug have you bought exactly? What I found so far for transition and engine is the following: M14 Engine & Trans Set http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Oil_Drain_Plugs-23366-1.html

I just bought a second cover, finned for cooling the exact same one that came with the car. I took that and a friends to a shop where they drilled and tapped it, 1/2 NPT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread
National Pipe Thread Taper (NPT) is a U.S. standard for tapered threads used on threaded pipes and fittings. In contrast to straight threads that are found on a bolt, a taper thread will pull tight and therefore make a fluid-tight seal.

My friend ordered some little magnets off the net and we attached those to the 1/2 NPT plugs.

TMO Supporting Vendors