The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The New Shelby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The new Super Snake is here.

A bit more costly than a Hellcat, at base and then more to get to 750HP.
I wonder how long the Super Snake can run cool?
The 13-14 GT500s had lots of cooling tweaks.

The next car from Shelby will be, a modded GT-350 OR the new small block.
The EcoBoost 4.
Then after the Ford GT wins LeMans, a Jillion dollar Daytona Coupe Mustang with an EcoBoost V6.

Nice looking car but I don't personally find the latest Shelby American offerings very appealing. They don't represent a good value IMO. Same can be said of the Roush cars. A few more details are below.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1098749_2015-ford-shelby-super-snake-slithers-forth-with-over-750-horsepower

2015-ford-shelby-super-snake_100514554_l.jpg
2015-ford-shelby-super-snake_100514557_l.jpg

Shelby America's products seems so lame now. Do they even have an R&D department? What testing do they do? All their products look like aesthetic pieces off a shelf. Selling overpriced garage queens to people living in nostalgia. Where is the Shelby America that built the Cobra and won lemans? I think Ford realized this quick and bought the rights to producing an in-house Shelby. I wish Shelby was to Ford as AMG is to Mercedes. They need to be under one roof making real race cars.

sadil said:
Shelby America's products seems so lame now. Do they even have an R&D department? What testing do they do? All their products look like aesthetic pieces off a shelf. Selling overpriced garage queens to people living in nostalgia. Where is the Shelby America that built the Cobra and won lemans? I think Ford realized this quick and bought the rights to producing an in-house Shelby. I wish Shelby was to Ford as AMG is to Mercedes. They need to be under one roof making real race cars.
This

sadil said:
OMG , you have articulated what I have been feeling for years. I would add that there seem to be a lot of Shelby owners that don't know anything about cars. I'm not trying to insult anyone, hell, I owned a 2007 GT500. It's just that it seems that there are "car enthusiasts" and there are "Shelby" owners.....

As long as you enjoy your car...it's all good

As a Shelby fan, it is very frustrating. I am 27 years old and still love everything about the Shelby brand, know the history, respect the heritage. However, generation Y will kill these aftermarket tuners like Shelby, Roush, and Saleen (unless Saleen attempts to kill itself again). I am glad Ford has stepped up their in-house performance division, but you always need these aftermarket brands with deep OEM ties to produce stuff the engineers at OEM are not allowed to release.

To be a proper Super Snake it needs to be a Shelby in the first place.
It looks like a very poor marketing attempt to me...
On the building it says "Shelby Heritage Centre".
Sure...!

Additionally, although Carol Shelby passed away, the new GT350 by Ford (& even more so the R version) seem MUCH closer to the original "real thing" built by Carol in 65/66 in its essence & spirit than the GT350 produced by Shelby (SAI) on the S197 platform...

A bit disappointing from the Company supposedly carrying the legacy!

Ford is doing a great job in my opinion.
The same cannot be said about SAI...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Nice looking car but I don't personally find the latest Shelby American offerings very appealing. They don't represent a good value IMO. Same can be said of the Roush cars.

I agree with that. In the 4.6L Era, the Roush cars at least offered significant performance advantages over OEM. Roush has some great new suspension parts for the 2015 cars, as well as their own blower kit too. But if you buy it all on the car dealer-installed or delivered finished, I don't think the price is really worth it.

As far as Shelby American's stuff is concerned, you can buy all of the performance parts that are supposed to make the car "special" straight from FRPP, Eibach, or Baer, without the gratuitous $helby Tax ($uper $nake). I really don't understand how they get away with basically just putting every bolt-on available on the car and charging what they charge.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
patrickshelby said:
To be a proper Super Snake it needs to be a Shelby in the first place.
It looks like a very poor marketing attempt to me...
On the building it says "Shelby Heritage Centre".
Sure...!

Additionally, although Carol Shelby passed away, the new GT350 by Ford (& even more so the R version) seem MUCH closer to the original "real thing" built by Carol in 65/66 in its essence & spirit than the GT350 produced by Shelby (SAI) on the S197 platform...

A bit disappointing from the Company supposedly carrying the legacy!

Ford is doing a great job in my opinion.
The same cannot be said about SAI...

Agree on all counts. Ford's internal development as well as performance offerings straight from the factory has really evolved over the last decade; the relevance of the aftermarket "tuner" groups has really been reduced by what's available "over-the-counter".

ArizonaBOSS said:
I agree with that. In the 4.6L Era, the Roush cars at least offered significant performance advantages over OEM. Roush has some great new suspension parts for the 2015 cars, as well as their own blower kit too. But if you buy it all on the car dealer-installed or delivered finished, I don't think the price is really worth it.

As far as Shelby American's stuff is concerned, you can buy all of the performance parts that are supposed to make the car "special" straight from FRPP, Eibach, or Baer, without the gratuitous $helby Tax ($uper $nake). I really don't understand how they get away with basically just putting every bolt-on available on the car and charging what they charge.

The cars built at SAI in Vegas typically hold their value ok. If you look at used SAI Shelbys, they are usually worth about as much as the base car would be, plus the upgrade cost. It really boils down to whether you really like the Shelbys and feel like paying the money or not. I've gone to the Shelby Bash a couple times and these guys LOVE their Shelbys. It's not uncommon for these folks to own 2,3 or 40 of them! They have the $$$ to buy ANYTHING, but they love Shelbys.

Everyone seems to have this pre-conceived notion of what a Shelby, or GT350, or Super Snake should or shouldn't be. However, they're not the ones responsible for P&L on the program. Another thing to consider is this is the first year of the new platform and it usually takes them a couple years to really go hog-wild, like the Shelby 1000.

Personally I love the new(er) Shelbys. I'm planning on a 07-14 Super Snake convertible for my next car.

This Super Snake is not a Shelby.
The Shelby crowd love their car for sure.
I should know I have two GT500...
We are talking about SAI here.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel