The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The new Z/28 vs. BOSS 302 On Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgia
Judging by the skid marks on the pavement, not the first to go off there.

To me it looks like his line was off, he missed the apex and was hanging out too far... then as Gary stated, he tried to over correct once he got two wheels off.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:
That's what I was wondering. I've never been on that track but seemed an odd place to spin. Maybe there's just too much bite with those sticky 305s up there and a light rear end. Anyone know what the F/R weight distribution is on the Z28?

Fat:Light IIRC. ;)

I don't think they posted official numbers on weight distribution.

cloud9 said:
I looked at it on a bigger screen and now see what happened. He did the classic "I'm not going to make it" mistake and tries to save it when he should have just driven at least two right side wheels off the edge of the exit curbing and driven back on track once under control.

Thats exactly what I see. It was understeering alot aproaching the apex causing him to go way wide. you can see the throttle lift(with the front wheels turning) approaching the edge snapping the back end loose.

It looks like Rick's speed was exactly the same so those tires are working great for you!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Z/28; just a wanna be Z06. Rick proved we can be competetive, he stayed with him and actually made up ground in the corners then got pulled down the straights. That's why I say #Cobra Jet Intake
Of course its all about driver, how many of us when in the Novice or low intermediate group had to give point by to a Spec Miata that an instructor was demonstarting for a student? I know it happened to me. I have also chased down and got point bys from Z06 Vettes and GT3 Porsches that weren't being driven any where near their real capabilities. I like that Camaros are starting to show up at track days and that they have a car to brag about, it's fun when we're out there in the Boss Wolfpack hunting them down.
Steve

Not sure how much can be gleaned from the video (other than the guy ran out of his limited talent). I'm assuming Rick was running some kind of fat, sticky rubber (if not, then the Z's got real problems), but I think you can still see a marked grip advantage to the Z--in the double apex/sweeper right turn onto the front straight, the Z seems to miss the apexes bad (as he did most of the lap shown) but really pulls away from Rick. Demonstration of good high speed stability probably due to the lectronic dampers.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Well, first let me say good driving Rick! The Z /28 mustang match up was fun to watch up to his spin out. Hey that can happen to any body. Don't ask how I know. But, I think he was driving in his mirrors and was more concerned with keeping ahead of Rick then just driving. Classic results following with him missing his apex and or over cooking the corner entrance speed and then having no where to go to unwind the car except off. Yes he should of went as far wide as he could of even two wheels off and lived to contest another day. Actually he should of let Rick by and worked on his line.
Back to the cars, the Z 28 was not pulling away any time soon and Rick was doing a great job of filling the guys mirrors.
Results round two to the Boss.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roadhouse said:
It's cool that someone has been out on track with one...

I'm sure we'll all get our chances soon enough. Hopefully the Z28 owners hit the track as much as us BOSS owners do and use the cars for what they were built for!

ArizonaBOSS said:
That is my buddy in the white spec miata at the beginning lol
Shoot if I knew that was him I would have let him pass me so he'll let me drive his 12C. ;D. Where does he live?

To my surprise the Z was not faster in a straight line. He was faster off the corners but once I got going he didn't pull me. It's very obvious on the back straight. Check the test results and it's very close to our cars. That said there's no doubt it's faster than our cars on track as it should be.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Those guys on the Camaro forum were very respectful and sounded alot like we do. Maybe they're not so bad after all......................
NAH!!!!! They still drive Chevys.
Props to the them though, takes a man to get out there and push an expensive car to it's limit.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel