The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The new Z/28 vs. BOSS 302 On Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That would be pretty distracting, call me back later mang! Yikes. I wonder if the car speakerphone is filtering some of the noise, though. You definitely hear my engine if I answer a phone call just putting around.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
300AGT said:
I think you all get a laugh out this (tracking a Z/28) this happens .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eOPJf9jB-U
LOL!

Also this track you may remember from some of my various track videos; Bondurant/Firebird West Track!

The 2014 C&D Lightning Lap results are in and the Z/28 threw down a 2:50.9 lap! Wow. Ford is going to have to pull a rabbit out of their hat for the GT350R to run with the Z. Fortunately they've pulled that off in the past.

FYI I read elsewhere that the track is different from last year so I'm not sure you can compare previous times to the current ones. And having driven a C7 Z51 on track I'm not surprised how fast it is. Also earlier versions of the Audi R8 V10 were barely faster than our cars and the V8 was slower around Laguna Seca. So I think the Boss would be 3:00-3:02 range.

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

I think there may be a litte more to it than just tires http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1409_on_chevrolet_camaro_do_the_tires_make_the_car/

Finally got the opportunity to see a Z/28 at the track last week with the Audi club at Thompson Speedway in CT

The owner seems like a really nice guy and was kind enough to talk with me about the car

Bottom line is he loves it and I think for good reason

I tip my hat to GM for making such a potent track weapon and I hope it will raise the bar for the upcoming GT350

The Z/28 on track

NEQ_14-6412_zps3a781b9e.jpg

Pete's LS in the same corner

NEQ_14-6408_zps863b6923.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
300AGT said:
I think there may be a litte more to it than just tires http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1409_on_chevrolet_camaro_do_the_tires_make_the_car/

True, but it's mainly the tires. Those knuckleheads aren't even interpreting the data very well. Look at the times in the figure 8. On the Z/28 it's half a second faster in ~24 seconds. That easily translates to a 2+ second improvement on many tracks. The other comparison you need to consider is that without it's own tires, the Z/28 put down the same time as the 1LE. IOW, the Z/28 would be useless without those tires.

But to make it a real comparison, they needed to have some lap times. That would be more telling of the tire benefit.

Great photos George. Were you running your Boss that day?

The tires are huge but not the only component that makes the Z fast. Those dampers use F1 technology and the whole package is well thought out. Put that same tire package on a stock Boss LS and you will drop 4-6 seconds a lap maybe more. That's also huge. The guys running Hoosier R6's in similar sizes can elaborate further. Even with R6's the Boss won't be able to keep up but it will be a lot closer. GM did a great job on the Z but wait because Ford is going to answer in a big way. ;)

GT350R Predictions:
FPC motor with 550 HP
3500 lbs
Similar dampers but they could add adjustability
Michelin Pilot Cup tires in 305/30/19 F and 325/30/19 R
Carbon fiber wheels
CC brakes six piston front and four piston rear
RSD with cross brace
Brake cooling ducts on all four wheels

http://gt350mustangs.com/index.php?topic=76.0

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NFSBOSS said:

The tires are huge but not the only component that makes the Z fast. Those dampers use F1 technology and the whole package is well thought out. Put that same tire package on a stock Boss LS and you will drop 4-6 seconds a lap maybe more. That's also huge. The guys running Hoosier R6's in similar sizes can elaborate further. Even with R6's the Boss won't be able to keep up but it will be a lot closer. GM did a great job on the Z but wait because Ford is going to answer in a big way. ;)

GT350R Predictions:
FPC motor with 550 HP
3500 lbs
Similar dampers but they could add adjustability
Michelin Pilot Cup tires in 305/30/19 F and 325/30/19 R
Carbon fiber wheels
CC brakes six piston front and four piston rear
RSD with cross brace
Brake cooling ducts on all four wheels

http://gt350mustangs.com/index.php?topic=76.0

Any guess on price? or on how many they will produce?

NFSBOSS said:

Yes, although they put me in the green group

Actually worked out well for me because I was new to the track and had a great instructor who drives a 2012 Mustang GT

NEQ_14-6331_zpsce4e948d.jpg

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
GT350 $60-65K
GT350R $70-75K
Approximately 5,000 cars per year but I'm not expecting a specific limit like the Boss.
[/quote]

We'll if they make that many at that price point maybe it will hold down he ADM.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Got a chance to try to keep up with the one at the at the Audi club event. Little video of me being passed. Jump to about 2 mins in for his pass in the oval

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Q_uq7SKUE7Y[/youtube]

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Fastfordnut said:
That track looks & sounds like it eats tires and brakes for lunch.

Was thinking the same thing (concerning the brakes / tires). His tires are barking everywhere (feedback is good, too much feedback is too much :) ).

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
JScheier said:
What track... and what tires?

Yes Thompson. Tires are sumitomo htr z III. 300 treadwear. Quite a hard tire for the track but hey last forever and met my budget needs for this season. After 900 track miles I still have about 40-50% tread. They HOWL though.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Fastfordnut said:
I believe it's the recently revamped Thompson speedway in CT
That track looks & sounds like it eats tires and brakes for lunch.

Brakes - yes for my car!!! Tires have had really even wear interestingly.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel