The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The new Z/28 vs. BOSS 302 On Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like Black Boss has encountered a ZL1 on track and not a Z/28 but it's still a great video. ;D

First let me say I'm glad to see one out there being used as it was meant. This is the first head to head I've seen and it's clear on the outcome this time. I'm posting this not to say anything bad about the Z/28 and I'm actually quite impressed with the car. But it's still going to be down to the driver. Nice driving Nick!

Also no LS lap time yet. I'm curious to see how much faster it is than a ZL1 and 13/14 GT500.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

For reference I'm including performance specs from the same magazine. Note 0-60 and 1/4 times are nearly identical. So no Z is going to pull you down the straight unless he has a higher exit speed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/camaro-z-28#

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-test-review

2012 Boss 302
Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

PRICE AS TESTED: $42,990 (base price: $40,995)

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 302 cu in, 4951 cc
Power: 444 hp @ 7500 rpm
Torque: 380 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.1 in
Length: 188.1 in
Width: 73.9 in Height: 55.1 in
Curb weight: 3666 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.0 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 14.9 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 4.5 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.8 sec @ 113 mph
Top speed (governor limited, mfr's claim): 155 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 160 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.90 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 17/26 mpg
C/D observed: 15 mpg

2014 Z/28
Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

PRICE AS TESTED: $76,150 (base price: $75,000)

ENGINE TYPE: pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 428 cu in, 7008 cc
Power: 505 hp @ 6100 rpm
Torque: 481 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 112.3 in
Length: 192.3 in
Width: 76.9 in Height: 52.4 in
Curb weight: 3862 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.5 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 16.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.6 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 9.0 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 8.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.7 sec @ 116 mph
Top speed (drag limited, mfr-s est): 172 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 155 ft
Roadholding*: 1.06 g

ESTIMATED FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 13/19 mpg

*Skidpad unavailable. Number derived from track test.

Post other BOSS 302 vs Z/28 videos in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZDmFbfwzOLg

Re: The new Z/28 vs. LS On Track

I like the Z/28 because it is obviously the 'next step' beyond the LS. Its great that the manufacturers finally realized that there is a core of people like us who have always wanted a muscle car that can actually stop and steer, too.

Of course, imagine what a 75k Boss would have been like!

Agreed. The new Road&Track magazine has a comparison between the Z/28, Viper TA, GTR, and an Aston Martin V12 Vantage and they make reference to the incredible grip of the Z's tires.

It's interesting that even with the vaunted LS7, the Z/28 isn't really much, if any, faster than a Boss in a straight line according to that test ([email protected]). Oink oink. Oh wait, I should reserve my pig jokes for now until the 2015 Mustang official weights are announced!

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !

Black Boss, awesome driving, smooth, relentless , good work. I will assume you were at a HPDE or lapping day running in A group. The poor guy in the P car just got out of the way of everybody. Once clear of him the Z 28 falls next to both Boss's and then you get the other Boss! Must of been a good day!
Watching that really makes me want to get on track. I'm behind this year, the Boss goes in for a go over and up grades next week.
I think a modified Boss with a good driver will give the Z 28 fits. In fact a modified Boss will give a lot of other cars fits.

NFSBOSS said:
Well now there are two Z/28's at Thunderhill for tomorrow and there are four BMO members all in the same run group. Will we be able to hang with them? I'll have my GoPro ready to go. ;D

Go for it! With good corner exit speed you'll be almost as quick in the straights and faster in the twisties.......

Looking forward to the results :)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

NFSBOSS said:
I've great some GREAT video of my first Z/28 encounter but you're going to have to wait another day to see it. :p :p :p

Dying to see the video!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Grant 302 said:
:eek:

I wonder if that's driver error or if it's just not easy to control at the limit.
That's what I was wondering. I've never been on that track but seemed an odd place to spin. Maybe there's just too much bite with those sticky 305s up there and a light rear end. Anyone know what the F/R weight distribution is on the Z28?

I looked at it on a bigger screen and now see what happened. He did the classic "I'm not going to make it" mistake and tries to save it when he should have just driven at least two right side wheels off the edge of the exit curbing and driven back on track once under control.

TMO Supporting Vendors