The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Next Generation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I took two 11 year old boys for a ride in the Boss this weekend. Lets just say they really liked 2nd gear. It was awesome introducing a couple of kids to the thrill of motor sports. Maybe when they grow up, they won't buy rice burners.

GB218

TMO Addict
We took my 16 1/2 year old nephew out a few months ago. He had his learners permit but had never driven a stick. After he got over his fear of breaking something - a direct result of stalling the car the first time he attempted to shift - he did really well!

The look on his face once he got the technique down was priceless :D. I don't know who enjoyed the day more: me or him.

To top it off, I took video of him driving the car with his dad, and then parking it & him getting out. His friends all wanted copies of the video and it made its way around his high school. It definitely helped him in the popularity department. Imagine: girls attracted to a guy driving a hot car....

Needless to say he wants an American muscle car.

GB218 said:
We took my 16 1/2 year old nephew out a few months ago. He had his learners permit but had never driven a stick. After he got over his fear of breaking something - a direct result of stalling the car the first time he attempted to shift - he did really well!

The look on his face once he got the technique down was priceless :D. I don't know who enjoyed the day more: me or him.

To top it off, I took video of him driving the car with his dad, and then parking it & him getting out. His friends all wanted copies of the video and it made its way around his high school. It definitely helped him in the popularity department. Imagine: girls attracted to a guy driving a hot car....

Needless to say he wants an American muscle car.

Awesome. I have 5 year old twins and a 3 year old. They love the car. It's "daddy's race car". It's a little loud for them still, but they already want to learn to drive. I have many oil changes to go through before then but we are on our way

I have twelve year old boy and girl twins. My son is all about the Boss and likes all cars. My daughter could care less but when I ask her if she wants me to pick her up at school in the Boss she says yes! Dad you have the coolest car of any of my friends parents. 8)

Hard to understand what makes a kid tick when it comes to cars. My 35 year old son grew up around my cars, I had 5 at one point when he was young, 3 Mustangs and 2 Vettes, but to him a car is just for getting from point A to point B. I took my 9 year old grandson to a local cruise in recently that was mostly fancy paint chromed out custom cars that I have zero interest in but just took him to get his reaction. He seemed pretty interested but when he spotted an old Studebaker Rat Rod he literally took off running to get to it quicker... Go figure...

My older girls learned to drive in my 01 GT 5-speed and one still drives it at college. My 12year old daughter loves to go to car shows and likes convertible Mustangs and Model Ts(??). All three are arguing over who gets the 65. I've done my part!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
My daughter had no interest in cars until she was 14. Until then they were a way to get here from point to point.

Then she showed some interest in cars, asking about previous cars we had, wanting to ride in the vette, general interest.

Then she received he learners permit and the "Car Gene" kicked in.

By the time she was 16 she was hooked.

She attended a Hagerty event in which young drivers were introduced to classic cars with standard transmissions. Two corvettes, two BMWs, two mustangs and a couple hours of driving had her hooked.

At 17 her first car fell victim to a driver texting who collided with her car and totaled 3 cars in the wreck.

Replacement was a 2013 V-6 MCA Performance Pack Mustang with Recaros.

This year she participated in a track day with instructor.

Another Next Generation person hooked on cars. ;D

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
My 8 year old son loves the Boss. He begs me to drive him to school / pick him up from school so that he can show his friends.

He's got 5 signed mustang posters hanging in his room. Each one is signed by Team Mustang members at Ford. One of the perks of going to Hastings each year for the Mustang Roundup :)

He was also my pit crew for Hallett and Road America this year. Couldn't make Hastings due to school commitments :(

If I can keep his Mom at bay (our accountant) for 8 more years, he may actually get to drive it ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors