The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

the Pin 5 ABS connector mod to fully turn off S197 traction control works

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I made the Pin 5 ABS connector modification on my 2011 Mustang GT to permanently disable the traction control when on track. I ran at PBIR last night and can confirm it works. The traction control is fully disabled yet the ABS works fine. The mod involves breaking the CAN bus high signal line to the ABS module preventing the traction control module from instructing the ABS module to activate any of the brakes. I'll post a follow description of what I did to make the mod later.

Pin 5 on the ABS connector is the CAN bus high signal line. By breaking the CAN bus communication the Traction control module cannot send commands to the ABS module to activate any of the brakes. The ABS module is located under the air intake.

01.jpg

Last edited:
The CAN bus wiring is a twisted pair of wires, one white and one white with a blue stripe. Separate the twisted pair from the rest of the connector wiring. Then cut and separate the the CAN bus high wire, the white wire with the blue stripe. Connect leads to each end of the cut wire and insulate wires. In my case I used blue wire with a white stripe as it was had in the garage. I used butt connectors and shrink wrap to insulate the connections.

07.jpg

Last edited:
At the track I opened the connector to disable the traction control. When I turned on the ignition without the engine running my dash showed the following. Not seen in the the rev counter module is the message "Service Advance Track".

11.jpg

Last edited:
With the engine running only the ABS symbol, the Advance Track symbol and the Service brake system symbol stay on. At the track I disconnected the CAN bus line and ran several sessions where I made sure I got into ABS many times. Brakes and ABS worked perfectly. At the end of the night I reconnected the plug and everything went back to normal. No warning lights and car ran fine. Only thing I haven't done is connect code reader to read and clear stored error codes..

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
With the engine running only the ABS symbol, the Advance Track symbol and the Service brake system symbol stay on. At the track I disconnected the CAN bus line and ran several sessions where I made sure I got into ABS many times. Brakes and ABS worked perfectly. At the end of the night I reconnected the plug and everything went back to normal. No warning lights and car ran fine. Only thing I haven't done is connect code reader to read and clear stored error codes..
Nice work!
I'm hoping my Boss 302 has the same harness and wire colors. I'd like to do the same mod. :hellyeah:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
So the next mod would be to run the wiring into the cockpit, put it on a switch and you would have traction control for launching and then flip the switch off as you get ready to roll into the first corner? Maybe mount the switch on the shift lever? Traction control on exit?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Palmdale, CA
Hey, thanks for the write-up on the ABS 5 pin mod. I am having to implement it full time to keep my AdvanceTrac from trying to kill me on the street and track. I've got something that is causing my ABS Module to output a bad Longitudinal Accelerometer signal (bouncing 0-1G). Just wondering if you had ever seen anything like that? Replaced RCM and double checked the ABS Module on another car. They weren't the cause. Let me know if there is anything you can think of. I've got some more details in this Post.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey, thanks for the write-up on the ABS 5 pin mod. I am having to implement it full time to keep my AdvanceTrac from trying to kill me on the street and track. I've got something that is causing my ABS Module to output a bad Longitudinal Accelerometer signal (bouncing 0-1G). Just wondering if you had ever seen anything like that? Replaced RCM and double checked the ABS Module on another car. They weren't the cause. Let me know if there is anything you can think of. I've got some more details in this Post.

Thanks,

Matt
I haven't had any trouble such as you describe. As you tested and replaced modules the only thing I could think of would be an intermittent short somewhere in the wiring. I'd start with the RCM wiring as the seat moves and could have pinched a wire. Good luck.

TMO Supporting Vendors