The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

the Real fix for exhaust rattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DA, there is no shame in letting someone take a fresh look. It is possible that the noise is something other then the exhaust. I remember someone post about a rattle they thought was the pipes but was not.

racered302 said:
I'm wondering if this is something that only takes a nudge while working on it for it to start happening.

Not really, if the bolts are tightened correctly there should be no problem. You bump and bounce the car while driving a lot harder then someone bumping it while working.

DA712

Owner of 2012 & 13 Boss 302's
2012YellowBoss said:
DA, there is no shame in letting someone take a fresh look. It is possible that the noise is something other then the exhaust. I remember someone post about a rattle they thought was the pipes but was not.

racered302 said:
I'm wondering if this is something that only takes a nudge while working on it for it to start happening.

Not really, if the bolts are tightened correctly there should be no problem. You bump and bounce the car while driving a lot harder then someone bumping it while working.

I'm not at all too proud to take it in, I just can't imagine what could be done... I know its the pipe's because I can make it go away, just not permanently....

Could it be a bad cat? They can rattle after they get hot when they blow the guts out. I saw some thread somewhere about Mustangs with cats going bad quickly.

Being able to fix it temporarily by moving the pipes is odd though. Have you checked the other ones further up and down the exhaust?

DA712

CaliMR said:
Could it be a bad cat? They can rattle after they get hot when they blow the guts out. I saw some thread somewhere about Mustangs with cats going bad quickly.

Being able to fix it temporarily by moving the pipes is odd though. Have you checked the other ones further up and down the exhaust?

I have made a decent visual of the exhaust, but as you said, I can get it to go away by loosening and re adjusting so I'm quite sure its in the side pipes...

DA712

regalt87 said:
Remove and cap one side and then the other and see if that isolates it.

I can clearly tell when either door begins to buzz, If I mess with that side it clears it for a bit.
That's why I'm reluctant to take it to the dealer... I can get it to stop too, just not permanently.

Is it a buzz or a rattle? My issue was a rattle, it sounded exactly like tapping the floor with a piece of metal. If it is a buzz, it is probably some other part loose.

Maybe try with the bolt by the tip, the one with the rubber grommet, try putting a little lithium grease or something in the hole between the bolt and the rubber, then crank it down tight and use some thread locker. If it is a resonance buzz, rather than a clanking, it might be there.

So I know this is digging up a dead thread, but it was the only real thread that I found to help address my rattling issue.

I was getting an intermittent loud metal vibration noise from my passenger side. I tried everything, thinking it might have been something inside the car but no help. I didn't notice ANY wear marks on my side pipe, exhaust, bracket or the underside of my car, but I went ahead and took off the pipe anyway to inspect. What I did was put a rubber washer between the body of the car and the side pipe mounting bolt (the one that has the rubber grommet and metal sleeve). Not only did this help to push the pipe away from the underside of the car a bit more but it also insulated the metal insert that is inside the rubber grommet. That was the only thing I could think of that might have caused some sort of noise as the pipe flexed during engine torquing? Either way, 10 minutes in the air, quick inspection and this quick solution seems to have worked...... for now that is, knock on wood lol...

TMO Supporting Vendors