The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The story of buying your Boss...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

25859178.jpg

:)

Justin said:
sure continue

Very well.

Part VI (Return of the Jedi)

So what makes this baby tick? Do you mind if I pop the hood? Go right ahead. Wow. 5.OL displacement...clearly it's got potential...4V per cylinder...about f'n time...TI-VCT...whoa, this thing has twin independent variable camshaft timing like them fancy european sports cars...HO...I have no idea what that stands for, maybe high output?

I walk over to the salesman (who has wisely given me plenty of time and space to inspect the vehicle on my own) to ask a few questions. The gentleman is genuinely interested and excited about the new Boss and it quickly becomes clear that I'm talking to another "car guy". Here, take a brochure on the Mustang...Well, if you insist, but I remind myself that I'm just here to look at trucks.

I should have gone straight home, but I had to learn a little more about what lay beneath that shiny intake. Surely, this car is all show and no go. I start leafing through the brochure...The Boss is Back...yeah, right (I remember when the USA actually used to make some of the best cars in the world)...Hi-Po 302 engine...if you say so...444 hp...not too shabby (I remember when that was supercar territory)...NA...hmmm, this thing is approaching 100 hp per liter without boost...7500 rpm...respectable for a domestic V8, but I've had way too many sweet rides to be so easily impressed.

I drove home amused by what I had seen. I had left the city and the suburbs for the "simple life". ADM? In this economy? In Vermont? Good luck. Nevertheless, the seed had been planted. I started searching the web for more information. The reviews were glowing. "Best Mustang ever". I've read far too many car magazines to be so easily swayed by journalists.

Time for some due diligence. Once I learned more about the components in this new engine, I was in trouble. Forged crank, forged connecting rods, forged pistons, new camshafts, new cylinder heads, new valves, new springs, new intake manifold, new obsession.

Been a mustang fan for a long time now. Owned a '98 V-6 for a couple years and a '90 5.0 for a while before it blew the motor. About 2 years ago a buddy of mine stationed in OKC invited me up to go to Hallett with him for the weekend. He had a '12 Roush RS3 at that point and man it was such a cool thing to ride on a track like that at those speeds. He ended up trading the Roush for a '12 CO BOSS in April of last year. I met up with him in the summer again for another track day but this time was different. The boss was such a different animal on the track. Straight away speed was slightly lower but the corners and braking were just a lot more controlled and smoother. The BOSS also had this cool thing called a Trackey that made it sound like a real muscle car. I had another great trip that stirred up lots of "mustang feelings" inside. I couldn't afford another vehicle though so I just had to be happy with my badass truck ('12 SVT Raptor) for now.

Well chit hit the fan back in March and my wife of 6 1/2 years decided she doesn't want to be married to me anymore. We sold the house, I moved in with my dad and my truck is now paid for so I don't really have bills to speak of. I thought it over for about a month and a half and finally started getting more serious about a mustang. There were no questions as to which mustang was on the radar, the BOSS 302. I started looking and really loved all the colors that were offered. I found a dealer within 35 miles that had a GB and PW (my fovorite choices at this point) on their inventory so I went to look at them. Once I get to the dealership and ask a salesman where they are, I was informed that they had been sold overseas so it takes several months to get removed from inventory. Boo on that crap. Over the course of the next week we make a lot of phone calls to try to track down a GB or PW to do a dealer trade on. All of the ones in Texas had been sold from what we could determine. The only ones within 850 miles they wanted at least $3500 over sticker plus transport fees. I wasn't up for any of that at all. Well the dealership told me early on that they had a sister store about 30 minutes away that had a RR '13 in stock. I was always apprehensive of red because I grew up being told insurance was more expensive and it caught the eye of the police a lot easier. I decided to consider the RR and called the insurance company who gave me a quote of less than my truck insurance each month so that blew that theory. I also took a look around at all the red vehicles on the road today and also the other colors of the BOSS. If a car is detailed out and shining it going to catch your eye no matter what.

So I call my salesman back and ask him if the RR '13 is still available. He called me back in a bit and said that they had to do some trading but they were making it happen. I went that evening and took delivery of my new RR '13 BOSS 302. The car is a beast and I love it. I did not have to pay over sticker for the car and even had the Trackey and window tint worked into the deal. The next morning I removed the side exhaust baffles and ordered Borla ATAK axlebacks. They came in and were installed 4 days later. The car sounds phenomenal now.

VTBoss302 said:
Very well.

Part VI (Return of the Jedi)

So what makes this baby tick? Do you mind if I pop the hood? Go right ahead. Wow. 5.OL displacement...clearly it's got potential...4V per cylinder...about f'n time...TI-VCT...whoa, this thing has twin independent variable camshaft timing like them fancy european sports cars...HO...I have no idea what that stands for, maybe high output?

I walk over to the salesman (who has wisely given me plenty of time and space to inspect the vehicle on my own) to ask a few questions. The gentleman is genuinely interested and excited about the new Boss and it quickly becomes clear that I'm talking to another "car guy". Here, take a brochure on the Mustang...Well, if you insist, but I remind myself that I'm just here to look at trucks.

I should have gone straight home, but I had to learn a little more about what lay beneath that shiny intake. Surely, this car is all show and no go. I start leafing through the brochure...The Boss is Back...yeah, right (I remember when the USA actually used to make some of the best cars in the world)...Hi-Po 302 engine...if you say so...444 hp...not too shabby (I remember when that was supercar territory)...NA...hmmm, this thing is approaching 100 hp per liter without boost...7500 rpm...respectable for a domestic V8, but I've had way too many sweet rides to be so easily impressed.

I drove home amused by what I had seen. I had left the city and the suburbs for the "simple life". ADM? In this economy? In Vermont? Good luck. Nevertheless, the seed had been planted. I started searching the web for more information. The reviews were glowing. "Best Mustang ever". I've read far too many car magazines to be so easily swayed by journalists.

Time for some due diligence. Once I learned more about the components in this new engine, I was in trouble. Forged crank, forged connecting rods, forged pistons, new camshafts, new cylinder heads, new valves, new springs, new intake manifold, new obsession.

Waiting for more...

Oh, what the hay...

Part VII

OMG, the BOSS IS BACK!!!

Impressive, but even if you could afford it what about replacing the old truck? Sure, it's over ten years old and led a hard life (the winters in the northeast are brutal due to all the salt they spread because people don't put proper snow tires on their vehicles - note : snows and/or chains are REQUIRED in other parts of North America for good reason). Thankfully, you've taken good care of it and, most important, it was built to last. Body on frame contruction, solid axles, blah, blah, blah...It should have some life left in it.

If you're foolish enough to read this, let me state I will be the first to admit that logic and reason often fall by the wayside when it comes to me and motor vehicles. Like I assume many on this board to be, I am a gear head. Suffice it to say the reasons I bought the Boss are mine and mine alone. None of anyone's beeswax, but mine.

God bless america and Ford Motor Company for making my dreams come true.

Juggerboss_zps2340ebbe.jpg

Great stories - Would like to hear more - each one is special !

Here's mine:

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages/MustangEnthusiastSharesExperienceofaLifetime.aspx

More assembly pictures (both the LS and GT500):

http://www.at.ford.com/news/multimedia/pages/default.aspx?t=g&n=156

Vince said:
Great stories - Would like to hear more - each one is special !

Here's mine:

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages/MustangEnthusiastSharesExperienceofaLifetime.aspx

More assembly pictures (both the LS and GT500):

http://www.at.ford.com/news/multimedia/pages/default.aspx?t=g&n=156

Very cool...

EDIT - Borderline heroic...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel