The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The tail of the dragon - Snake Bit !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
We were down to TN for a mini meet a few years back a did the drive several times, very picturesque, riding down the ridge of the mountain from Knoxville toward the Carolina's.

It would appear that some people were driving in a spirited fashion that seems to have the local constabulary less than pleased... So if your heading down there you'd be wise to send a friend ahead as scout while you wait for clean air ;)

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?531-Tail-of-the-Dragon-Warning&p=99624

There were very few places with any runoff or shoulder where one could park, but there were other spots where they seems to be parked with assured regularity.

I may have left my heart in San Francisco, :nono: don't leave your car in Deals Gap!

The post to which you linked is from 2007?

Anyway, I found the best driver's road in the country last week, hands down. Not that it is any secret - Highway 1 north of San Francisco has a 55 MPH speed limit in areas where it would be *extremely* difficult to go 55MPH in any car. The result is that you basically drive as fast as you are comfortable going. No worry about speed limits, all you have to worry about are cliffs, trees, bicycles, deer, wet pavement, landslides, ya ya's crossing over the line going the other way on a switchback, etc. Breathtaking. And no cop worries.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
I didn't catch the post date, (repost) but it is indeed an old post ( when I was there).
And they were patrolling...

Bay Area
coboss said:
The post to which you linked is from 2007?

Anyway, I found the best driver's road in the country last week, hands down. Not that it is any secret - Highway 1 north of San Francisco has a 55 MPH speed limit in areas where it would be *extremely* difficult to go 55MPH in any car. The result is that you basically drive as fast as you are comfortable going. No worry about speed limits, all you have to worry about are cliffs, trees, bicycles, deer, wet pavement, landslides, ya ya's crossing over the line going the other way on a switchback, etc. Breathtaking. And no cop worries.

Where do you start and finish?

Byron have you signed up for Snakes at the Lake? Not a fast drive but if you haven't driven around Lake Tahoe before it will be worth your time. It's a fun event. There are some nice roads in the Foothills just to the East of Sacramento.

For Highway 1 north of SF you simply go across the Golden Gate bridge into Marin county and follow the signs for US 1. (Not US 101, but US 1). Just 5 minutes from the bridge you start on incredibly twisty roads basically all the way to Fort Bragg. Hours.

I am renting a Corvette at the SF airport the next time I am out there and driving all day.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel