The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Times They Are A-Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It is poor form to park in an electric car charging spot for sure. Hell it's even poor form to leave your car beyond the time it is charging. There are a TON of electric and plug in hybrid cars being sold now. The "public" chargers get a lot of use. I belong to the BLINK NETWORK which I use at work. Yeah, my company does not throw in the cost of the charging, and BLINK needs to stay in business, so I pay two bucks to nearly charge my car completely and get me the 26 miles home. Believe it or not, some people's buying habits can easily hinge on whether they can charge their car somewhere, free or not.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I believe it.

Curious who set up the event and paid no attention to the charging stations??

Granted, parking in the stations was bad form.

Electric cars and Hybrids are here to stay. Seeing some of the recent improvements and applications, F1, Lemans etc. they will have a place in the sport which will be key in acceptance of the type.

Anxious to see affordable electric power for the masses without too much in government subsidies.

We're starting to see more negative comments about the quality of the Tesla Model S. The sky is not falling but something to be aware of if you're in the market for a Tesla.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/31/tesla-model-s-edmunds-long-term-reliability/

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
four-walling said:
That doesn't bode well for Elon Musk's $5B gigafactory.

He said Gigafactory ::) Lame, right?
NFSBOSS said:
We're starting to see more negative comments about the quality of the Tesla Model S. The sky is not falling but something to be aware of if you're in the market for a Tesla.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/31/tesla-model-s-edmunds-long-term-reliability/

That's still not as bad as the 'Bricked' roadsters though...
http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/02/the-tesla-roadster-bricking-story-details-deconstructed/

...but at least that's old news that doesn't involve fire. ::)

New Saleen Model S. http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/156g-tesla-saleen-foursixteen-upgrades-model-s-performance-styling-article-1.1907123 8)

saleen-foursixteen-front.jpg

This is an interesting Daytona Prototype electric conversion.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/q_cRqcbXAs4[/youtube]

15 minutes of juice is pretty scant though.

Imagine what you could do if the track provided the juice to the car. No battery, just drawing the juice inductively or something futuristic. 8)

2014 Fusion Energi update-

I've past 20k miles on the plug-in Fusion hyberd since Oct. No complaints, other than have had my schedule and location jacked up so I can't charge at work. No biggie since my cost of electricity at work was right about equal to the cost of gas if I drive on the ICE on the way home. Some wishes including a little more range but hey who couldn't use a little extra? Love the keyless entry where the car unlocks when you touch the handle and also the push button start. Nice to just keep the key fob in the pocket. I've been using the adaptive cruise control a lot lately. It's a thrill handing over the reigns to the computer as the car goes into a heavy braking situation. You want to hover you foot over the brake pedal, but it's just not necessary. The car doesn't have any issue braking since it can do a lot of the work with regeneration, and then picking up the slack with the calipers and discs.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
All of a sudden we are awash in oil?

Call me skeptical-as electric cars begin to make financial sense, then all of a sudden there is plenty of oil and readily available at a low price.

Good for us Boss drivers getting all of 13 mpg.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/oil-glut-ignites-gasoline-price-swoon-1410476422?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

Oil Glut Ignites Gasoline Price Swoon
Markets Are Signaling That More Relief at Pump May Be on the Way.

By NICOLE FRIEDMAN CONNECT
Sept. 11, 2014 7:00 p.m. ET

Consumers are expected to see lower prices at the pump as gas prices fall. Associated Press
Gasoline prices have tumbled from highs hit in June. And markets are signaling that consumers will get even more relief at the pump.

A global glut of crude oil is the main driver behind the decline in gasoline. Relatively cheap oil has made it more profitable for refiners to produce gasoline and other fuels, and they have ramped up production to record levels.

More Reading
Lower Gas Prices Made August More Fun
Lower Gas Prices, Job Gains Drive Pickup in Retail Sales
OPEC Chief: Oil Prices to Rebound by Year's End
U.S. Import Prices Fall on Cheaper Oil
This boom in supplies has sent gasoline prices tumbling. Traders and other market observers expect the flow of both crude oil and gasoline to keep rising, likely exerting more downward pressure on prices.

The average retail price for a gallon of regular gasoline was $3.42 on Thursday, down 3.8% from the same period in 2013, according to motor club AAA. For this time of year, gasoline prices are at their lowest level in four years.

"We certainly have plenty of crude-oil supply over the next couple of months and plenty of products," said Andy Lipow, president of consulting firm Lipow Oil Associates in Houston. "I'm expecting the national average to drop to $3.15 by Halloween, and $3 a gallon as a national average is certainly in the cards." Analysts at AAA predict prices could fall another 15 to 20 cents by the end of October.

A sustained period of relatively low gasoline prices could help bolster the consumer-driven U.S. economy, which has posted wobbly growth this year. Many policy makers remain concerned about the outlook, with a disappointing August jobs report adding to jitters. By paying less at the pump, consumers could use the cash to make other purchases.

Retail gasoline prices often fall as summer vacation winds down, but the speed and size of the recent decline underscore shifts in energy markets that many analysts expect to be lasting. U.S. gasoline output climbed above 10 million barrels a day for the first time on record in late April, according to the Energy Information Administration, and held above that level in 11 of the 19 weeks since then.

Ed Quintrell, 60 years old, of Woodland, Wash., said he is less likely to impose surcharges on customers of his construction business given the decline in pump prices. Mr. Quintrell spends up to $12,000 a year fueling his Ford F-350 pickup truck. Gasoline prices are a big cost, and "I'm glad to see them lower," he said.

Trading in futures markets indicates that gasoline retail prices have further to fall. Gasoline for October delivery, the front-month contract, on Thursday slipped 0.24 cent, or 0.1%, to $2.5241 a gallon, a 10-month low. During intraday trading, prices dipped into bear-market territory, defined as a 20% drop from a recent high.

Gasoline has declined 19% from its 52-week high hit in June and is off 9.3% this month.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
four-walling said:
All of a sudden we are awash in oil?

Call me skeptical-as electric cars begin to make financial sense, then all of a sudden there is plenty of oil and readily available at a low price.

Good for us Boss drivers getting all of 13 mpg.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/oil-glut-ignites-gasoline-price-swoon-1410476422?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

Oil Glut Ignites Gasoline Price Swoon
Markets Are Signaling That More Relief at Pump May Be on the Way.

By NICOLE FRIEDMAN CONNECT
Sept. 11, 2014 7:00 p.m. ET

Consumers are expected to see lower prices at the pump as gas prices fall. Associated Press
Gasoline prices have tumbled from highs hit in June. And markets are signaling that consumers will get even more relief at the pump.

A global glut of crude oil is the main driver behind the decline in gasoline. Relatively cheap oil has made it more profitable for refiners to produce gasoline and other fuels, and they have ramped up production to record levels.

More Reading
Lower Gas Prices Made August More Fun
Lower Gas Prices, Job Gains Drive Pickup in Retail Sales
OPEC Chief: Oil Prices to Rebound by Year's End
U.S. Import Prices Fall on Cheaper Oil
This boom in supplies has sent gasoline prices tumbling. Traders and other market observers expect the flow of both crude oil and gasoline to keep rising, likely exerting more downward pressure on prices.

The average retail price for a gallon of regular gasoline was $3.42 on Thursday, down 3.8% from the same period in 2013, according to motor club AAA. For this time of year, gasoline prices are at their lowest level in four years.

"We certainly have plenty of crude-oil supply over the next couple of months and plenty of products," said Andy Lipow, president of consulting firm Lipow Oil Associates in Houston. "I'm expecting the national average to drop to $3.15 by Halloween, and $3 a gallon as a national average is certainly in the cards." Analysts at AAA predict prices could fall another 15 to 20 cents by the end of October.

A sustained period of relatively low gasoline prices could help bolster the consumer-driven U.S. economy, which has posted wobbly growth this year. Many policy makers remain concerned about the outlook, with a disappointing August jobs report adding to jitters. By paying less at the pump, consumers could use the cash to make other purchases.

Retail gasoline prices often fall as summer vacation winds down, but the speed and size of the recent decline underscore shifts in energy markets that many analysts expect to be lasting. U.S. gasoline output climbed above 10 million barrels a day for the first time on record in late April, according to the Energy Information Administration, and held above that level in 11 of the 19 weeks since then.

Ed Quintrell, 60 years old, of Woodland, Wash., said he is less likely to impose surcharges on customers of his construction business given the decline in pump prices. Mr. Quintrell spends up to $12,000 a year fueling his Ford F-350 pickup truck. Gasoline prices are a big cost, and "I'm glad to see them lower," he said.

Trading in futures markets indicates that gasoline retail prices have further to fall. Gasoline for October delivery, the front-month contract, on Thursday slipped 0.24 cent, or 0.1%, to $2.5241 a gallon, a 10-month low. During intraday trading, prices dipped into bear-market territory, defined as a 20% drop from a recent high.

Gasoline has declined 19% from its 52-week high hit in June and is off 9.3% this month.

And Mid-Term Elections are right around the corner. My, my. . . . I'm sure there is no connection, Right? LoL

OBTW Sunoco 93 is only $3.43 in my area.

Dave
Hi Pro

Glut of oil? Sure, until Iraq implodes again.

Why are we in Iraq? Oil. Without the 3 million+ barrels of oil Iraq is now producing, prices would be *much* higher, because there is no way the Saudis, the US, Canada, or any of the other "friendly" oil producers could cover 3 Million barrels per day. The CHINESE and the RUSSIANS are getting a big piece of the oil action in Iraq, and the *USA* is there protecting the oil fields. Now you know why we can't pull out of Iraq - not only would world oil prices skyrocket, but since China owns a huge part of our debt, and Russia is the world's largest oil exporter, if we left, China and Russia would have to step in. We don't want that. This is the same reason we are still in Afghanistan, although there the Chinese are getting metals and minerals rather than oil.

Our blood, their oil and copper. Nice, right? Ask yourself why neither "the mainstream media" *NOR* Fox News *NOR* the right wing talk radio RushBeckHannity crew are talking about this.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel