The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Times They Are A-Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Boss said:
Did you guys see how fast you will be able to reload the juice in these things? Swap in new batteries in half the time it takes to pump gas? Game. Changer.

http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

Neat yes. Game changer? Maybe in 5-10 years. Until I can hop in and know I'll be able to swap out anywhere on my route the confidence just wont be there. I give credit to tesla to pseudo open sourcing the method, that may speed it along.

askjeffro said:
Neat yes. Game changer? Maybe in 5-10 years. Until I can hop in and know I'll be able to swap out anywhere on my route the confidence just wont be there. I give credit to tesla to pseudo open sourcing the method, that may speed it along.

It looks like within a year I'll be able to swap out anywhere I'd likely drive 99.9 % of the time. If they price it right, the swap out will be used all the time just like a gas station, for local trips.

More on the Tesla.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tesla-model-s-justifiably-expensive-keller-says-L155oklTRM~0_7759EGFaQ.html

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I did some digging on the Tesla and while it all sounds well and good, especially when you consider they will buy it back from you at 36-39 months, I was taken aback by a few things. The first is it's more like a lease that you buy. I mean that in the sense they penalize you for every mile over 45,000 I believe, just like you would be if you leased a car and exceeded the mileage. Additionally, if you were single when you bought the car but got married and died, this offer wouldn't be eligible for your spouse, even if it's in the will. Basically only the person who bought the car is eligible for the buy-back, no heirs, family members or anything like that. Just little things to try and sweeten the pot to get you to buy it when it's not as good as it seems.

Also, I couldn't figure this out but if/when you have a problem, where do you take it?

A Tesla "service center" recently opened up close to my home. My kids and I were home today so we stopped by to check out a Tesla. We were checking out the car they had in their display area and a sales guy walked up to me and asked me if I wanted to take one for a drive. After I got my kids to stop jumping up and down I said yes. After the guy gives me the run down on how to "start" it we were off. All I can say is WOW! Forget that it's an electric car this is one nice sedan and it's fast. I recently watched an episode of Top Gear USA where they drag raced a Tesla S performance package against a ZL1 and the Tesla won. And after my drive I have no doubt it did. You push on the throttle and you are off to the races instantly with no hesitation. One interesting thing about it is when you let off the throttle the engine braking is strong and it's regenerating energy to charge the batteries. It takes a bit of getting use to but you get the hang of it quickly. Anyway don't pass up an opportunity to drive one as it's a great view into the future of the automobile.

IMG_3146_zps6e285891.jpg
IMG_3154_zps808c1da8.jpg
IMG_3161_zps1c421275.jpg

While you are out on the roads, you might not of noticed, there's another American all electric vehicle, the Ford Focus EV. I believe that until technology extends the distance they can travel and the price of them is lower. Much like the model T, Henry Ford lowered the price so the average person could afford one. They will remain a vehicle of the rich or upper middle class.
http://m.autoblog.com/2013/07/10/ford-to-hack-4k-off-price-of-focus-ev-amid-slow-sales/?post=1&icid=autoblog_focus-electric%7Cfocus-ev%7Cford-focus-electric%7Cford-focus-ev_art

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I looked at one at the center in San Jose on Friday. Didn't drive it, just investigated. While it certainly feels and looks amazing on the inside, there was no upper body room in the back. My head at 5'11-6'0 (depending on who's asking lol) was hitting the roof. Since I'm the squirt in my family (all of the men are my height or taller), I can't see myself taking my inlaws (who are anywhere from 6'3-6'5) in that car when they come and visit. That was a huge bummer.

Also, not sure I like the gigantic tablet interface up front.

It's too bad too because my wife wants an SUV when we move and the Model X will be out and it seems to have some innovative features but the price is just too much, at $5000 to reserve the base or $40000 to reserve the signature trim line.

As an electrical engineer I have worked with some high-end rotary servo motors. I am not sure what Tesla uses for controlling their motors, but it is not hard to design the controls to minimize any wheel spin in any circumstance. You could even put the GTR traction control to shame. The best part is that it is all in software/firmware, no extra or complicated parts needed. It would be really cool if a manufacturer could give you access to that tuning to suit your needs, too. I would love to see an open-source electric car project for guys like me to tinker with :)

The biggest problem I have with electrics is that everyone will get home around the same time and plug them all in. Until they charge with solar energy and use the grid as a supplement only, I don't think they are a good idea for mass production. I would rather see a comfy but bare-bones electric, anyways. To me, Eco-friendly and luxury are contradictory.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I just don't get it. The power source has to come from somewhere. Where does the electricity to charge it come from? Coal, natural gas, oil? Now you show me a solar car that can go 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, and I'll be impressed.

Though I gotta tell you, The Tesla looks damn good!

ufnavy06 said:
I looked at one at the center in San Jose on Friday. Didn't drive it, just investigated. While it certainly feels and looks amazing on the inside, there was no upper body room in the back. My head at 5'11-6'0 (depending on who's asking lol) was hitting the roof. Since I'm the squirt in my family (all of the men are my height or taller), I can't see myself taking my inlaws (who are anywhere from 6'3-6'5) in that car when they come and visit. That was a huge bummer.
I'm surprised by this. My usual back seat test is adjust the front seat for my height and then sit in the back seat and see how much room there is. I fit back there comfortable and my head wasn't hitting the roof.

Don't pass up an opportunity to take a test drive in one of these.

NFSBOSS said:
Oh no three people got hurt at the Tesla factory today!

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/13/5908749/3-injured-at-tesla-factory-in.html

It's my fault. I bought shares yesterday.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2013/11/11/sema-2013-larry-gareffas-home-built-electric-1965-ford-mustang-fastback/

did you see this electric mustang at sema?

TymeSlayer said:
I just don't get it. The power source has to come from somewhere. Where does the electricity to charge it come from? Coal, natural gas, oil? Now you show me a solar car that can go 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, and I'll be impressed.

Though I gotta tell you, The Tesla looks damn good!

I'm guessing most if not all my electricity comes from the natural gas burning power plant that is about 5 miles from me. In general CA gets the bulk of it's electricity from natural gas. Coal is pretty low. See this chart for some details.

http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/electricity/electricity_generation.html

I'd like to set up a wind generator since I get wind nearly every day of the year. Maybe some day. For now I am charging my car after 11 PM since my plan at PG&E gives me a good rate at that time and my car can easily be set to only charge at that time.

as a retired firefighter, cutting someone out of a 300 volt system car , would be a little dicey, we just got passed air bags injuring guys and were starting to deal with these now.

I have a test drive tomorrow in a model s

the Pittsburgh cars n coffee group has arranged this

they are bringing 4 cars and we get a 15 minute test drive

Just noticed this thread. My DD is an electric car (Honda Fit EV). While it's not exactly a Tesla, I think it's one of the most comfortable and affordable modes of transportation for driving around town. I would never purchase/lease an EV as my only car, but it' fantastic for the day-to-day grocery getter. What convinced me is lease rebates that I get in central California ($5500 between the state and air board's rebates). They come in a lump sum and I should have them in a few months, meaning I'm paying my lease payments for the next year and half with rebate money. Not a bad gig.

...I'll be "racing" it July 20 at Laguna Seca for the Refuel TT event. Looking for sub 2 minute times! ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel