The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Times They Are A-Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The road fee based on mileage seems like a fair way to go to me. If you use the roads you should pay. I'm big on user fees. The problem here in CA and probably IL as well is I doubt they'll drop the excessive tax on gas purchases so the gov't will be doubling down and we'll get screwed again.

Yeah, we all get screwed no matter what. Just a matter who gets unfairly screwed. :(

True, but the rules are usually made by the well off, for the well off. One example is my next door neighbors. They pay $1500/YR for property tax on their $2M home they bought five years ago. I pay $10,500 on my $1M home I bought 2 years ago. Seems his dad bought a home in Palo Alto decades ago for $30k. When he passed, my neighbor bought out the other heirs and lived in the old man's house for two years establishing some sort of residency. They then sold that house for a king's ransom, picked up their tax liability, and moved to the sticks where I live. Very few people would have the resources to pull that off, but if you have the means...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Fat Boss. You are right. Not ignorant, arrogant. And yes, I have five vehicles. I would guess that puts us in a small minority, more vehicles than drivers.
It does prove my point. The EV is not a car which can replace the average fossil fuel vehicle for the average family. It does something’s well, others, not so much.
Food for thought, if you are one of the upper 10% or god forbid, one of the 1%. Do you even know what average is? From what I have read here, nope. I did a quick canvas of family and friends, none own an EV or know of anyone who does. Not scientific, I know. Just a snap shot of average Americans.

That’s ok, we’re just sharing our experiences and opinions. Members not living on the west coast might be surprised by how many EV’s there are and they are multiplying quickly. I was running an errand this morning and there were four Tesla’s at an intersection I drove through. And I was not driving mine.

In Arizona we have a decent amount of automated vehicles as well. Waymo seems to be the most prevalent in my area. I made a quick trip across town yesterday and seen 3-4 automated Waymo vehicles.

https://waymo.com/

Just wait till your pizza gets delivered in an automated EV with NO DRIVER :eek::eek::eek:

In the V6L
Recharging EV batteries is a serious design flaw. The whole issue of practicality will change when electric cars have swappable modular batteries. Drive into a service station and come to a stop over a target. A robot cradle slides the empty battery out, slides in a new one, calculates the cost and you're on your way. Faster than filling with gas. Existing service stations could be converted, and so long as the range from the battery is enough to get you a couple of stations down the road, it's just like we have now.

Austin
Seems to be a lot of talk about the market size for EV's and whether or not "average" Americans are included in that market. Leaving aside what constitutes an "average" American, according to the 2016 census, the percentage of population defined as rural is down to less than 20%.

FWIW, EV's seem to be pretty popular here in Texas. As someone who still commutes about 25 miles each way 3 times a week, I'm looking forward to having an electric for a daily commuter. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that large employers including mine are starting to provide charging stations at work. It'll be interesting to see how that develops as more and more employees get electrics but it shows that we should probably expand our thinking about when and where electric cars get charged. Literally every building you go to in a city has electricity. I can imagine a future where there's no such thing as a place you go specifically to charge your car.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Industry has been changing batteries in forklifts for decades. A tech can swap batteries in 15 minutes. Buy 2.2 batteries per truck and the truck can run 24-7. A huge savings. Limitations are battery design, standardization, Recharge capacity. Standardization will likely be the largest hurdle for EVs. After all, when have you seen any standardization in the auto industry. Short of government regulation?
Can industry provide a solution for EVs shortcomings? Likely. Until then, still to many limitations for many to buy. For me to buy one it would be another toy, just like the Boss. Would I love to drive a car with sub 4 second 0-60 times, of course. Is an EV a great solution for many, sure. 80% of the population? Don’t think so.
In Kansas City there are many parking lots with charging stations. Most spots are empty wasting a parking spot in a crowded downtown area. Will this change with time, maybe. Is the price point the issue? Likely the largest obstacle to sales next to utility.

I predict, in the near future EV's will have solar panels on their roofs much like some homes have today, to supply power to their cars....that would be a game changer!!!!!!!!!!!

Google the Fiskar Karma. My friend has one. It's got a solar panel integrated into the roof. The reality is the panel doesn't really provide all that much power since it's so small.

Likely. I have looked a solar panels for my home. Price point is close. A few more incentives and or price drops and I’ll make the move. The gamble is service life. Will a system last long enough to pay me back.

I think all the name brands are pretty safe in that regard. One thing no one has brought up is the Tesla Powerwall Batteries. My next door neighbor installed 2. He paid $15k and got a $12k cash rebate. He charges them at night and consumes the electricity during the day. I might go that way since PG&E is going to a time of use plan for all existing solar customers, unlike today where it is a net charge at the end of the year. The bonus is the power never goes out in your house.

TMO Supporting Vendors