The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Times They Are A-Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lol. Light it up!

I can report that it is just as satisfying as it sounds to cut up a Prius with the hydraulic shears and spreader. :D

We cut the A Pillars up near the top of the windshield as well as right above the floor. We then used a hydraulic ram to push the whole dash and front end forward to simulate getting someone unstuck from the pedals. We then cut the roof off. Good times!

As you can see we cut the A Pillar in two places, then rotated the whole front end and dash forward to simulate extracting someone caught up in the pedals.

It was the best training day yet in the two years I've been in the Vol Fire Assoc. And to think, we get paid for it! No joke. They'll put $150 into a 401k for that day's volunteering. It's got over $5k after a little less than a year and a half being enrolled in the program. Only in CA do they pay you to volunteer. :rolleyes:

Depends if you have the vegan option. ;)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Saw a Tesla at a recharge station in Missouri on the 23rd. He was recharging his and the cars batteries. Station was on interstate 35 outside Bethany Mo. The car was plugged in and driver was sleeping. Was going to ask him about recharge plan. Then I noticed he was sleeping.
Once recharge times come down, along with vehicle prices. The electric car segment will explode. Sales, not the batteries. Lol.

Fat Boss we have a large Japanese car maker that is not to far from our fire station that lets us cut up as many cars as we want at there winter proving grounds once a year or so. I can say after cutting up many cars, trucks,and suv's that i'm impressed. There large trucks and large suv's are tanks! We can't bring cellphones on property to take pics though. Sucks but its the rules. Last time out there I asked for the keys to one of there GTR's (oops) for a few hot laps and they looked at me like thiso_O. I had to try! Ok back to the chili. LOL :D

This is what bothers me, this Tesla was involved in a crash in Florida, now the driver may have died in the impact but, the thing caught fire afterward, when it was extinguished, it caught fire 2 more times at the impound yard. Now conventional vehicles do this too, this is one reason that engine companies that are on the ball always disconnect the battery ASAP, sometimes, and this has happened to me, you will need to chock the wheels because during the fire, the starter sequence engages, and you have a burning car trying to drive down the street..That can happen no matter what the vehicle is powered by, the worrisome part about hybrids is..
1. the 300 volt electrical system that can be damaged in an impact
2, battery leakage which can result with a chemical reaction with the vehicle chassis which is aluminum
3. misc things, like compromised electrical cables, haz mat from the battery, the usual fire stuff
4.patient extrication, while practicing extrication is really awesome, it does not always indicate the amount of effort, or the problems associated with an impact crash, in most training scenarios you can D/C the power relatively easily, in a car, like the one in the video, you may not even be able to locate any shutoffs. On top of this, you know the cops were telling the fire crew to not destroy any evidence that would help the investigation, possibly leading to inadequate overhaul of the fire.
I think a general standard should be issued, that makes electrical disconnect available to emergency personnel at both ends of the car, or at least clearly marked (think SCCA/PWC/IMSA here). Until then, it's sort of hit and miss, not every fire unit carries a service manual in their cab, although, some (like mine) do carry cheat sheets.
This is in addition to having to deal with as many as 8 air bags that may, or may not have activated in the same vehicle making extrication even more of a challenge especially in more rural, less specialized fire departments.
Also, the comment that battery fires in hybrids can take up to 24 hours to extinguish, while true, is totally absurd. No one is going to babysit a vehicle for 24 hours.

https://www.local10.com/news/florid...crash-in-davie-catches-fire-again-at-tow-yard

Oh..and while I'm on my rant, here in Florida every mickey mouse city government has to plant trees on the side of the roads as "beautification" projects, usually palm trees, which most firefighter refer to as "car dicers". The sides of roads and interstates should be kept free from trees, the amount of dead bodies I've found in cars along Florida roads is crazy, and totally unnecessary.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel