The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Times They Are A-Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The one thing I don't fear at all is the likelihood that driving will go away entirely to automated machines, because that is one privilege I don't believe folks will ever relinquish. Similar to the rebirth of motorcycle , where the purchase for many was just the freedom to get out and ride, with yourself in complete control. That phenomenon , some feel , saved the Harley years back and opened up another complete sales avenue for two wheeled horses. We may get to a different point many years in the future, but the personal driving device we wheel down the road will live on --- humans love that tactile experience!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Coz,

Good article and part of the reason I think those who are concerned about a full EV switch will realize almost everything in the World involving changes in infrastructure always take longer than predictions. I would be surprised if we are full electric by 2050 and even then I think there will be a percentage of ICE/Hybrids. Those of us TMO OFs ( old farts ) will be going to the grave still seeing ICE machines running all over. This is a World mandated change, so we will continue to compete with our industrial complex, to stay in the lead, but it will come slower than projected, so I shall stay mellow and my main recharge will come every morning in the form of caffeine!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

Was curious and checked out the article. They are using suspended abrasives in water at 300 bar ( 4351 psi ). To me it sounds like a high pressure dustless sand blaster with maybe less grit and a fine jet or some type of mobile water jet with a fancy name - "cold cut cobra system, cobra ultra high pressure lance"

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
When I was a firefighter we had a "piercing nozzle" that we used to try to get into inaccessible areas. It was strictly brute force and normally not able to go through thicker sheet metal.

In this case the technology is intriguing. But I wonder how effective it will be in practical use. It seems that may require a lot of poking & prodding to find the battery cell involved. Just like structure fires, it's tough to pinpoint the source just from the smoke. And if you're going in from the side and the overheating cell is in the middle, how long will it take?

By that time, the contents of the car and other cells may be well involved.

We'll see what they run into in real life.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I have the solution, all battery packs on a vehicle must be inter-connected with 2 inch fire proof tubing and 4 standardized quick connect fittings. fire fighters simply arrive on scene, hopefully one of the 4 fittings is accessible, plug in hose and fill until battery compartment pressure release valve pops. Better yet all EV's equipped with a foam fire suppression system? Lastly, just fill the battery compartment with water/anti-freeze mix. I got up way to early today and my brain is running WOT.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Lucid’s motors can actually drive upwards of 5,000 lb-ft of torque into the axles, but because the tire diameter reduces that by adding a larger radius (again, think of the wrench, in this case usually just over a foot) into the equation, estimates of the Sapphire’s real wheel-torque are more like 1,600 lb-ft.
Pretty good explanation and math up to this point, and then he gets this completely wrong. Tire diameter has nothing to do with torque, because the "foot" part of "pounds-foot" reduces it away. What tire diameter (actually radius) does do is create the divisor when converting pounds-foot of rotational force into pounds of thrust at the circumference of a circle - the forward thrust the contact patch of the tire is applying to the asphalt. But if he really means 1600 pounds of thrust at the contact patch from 5k lb-ft of torque, that would require a tire radius of 3.125 feet. And I don't think the Lucid Air Saphire is a Monster Truck.

With lots of caveats and hand-waving, horsepower is how fast you can go (top speed), and torque is how fast you can reach that speed (acceleration). I once read an interview with the then-head of Audi North America, who I think was actually quoting GM chairman Bob Lutz when he said, "Americans buy on horsepower, but they drive on torque."

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
These "talking heads" write all this click bait crap and mostly don't know what the hell they are talking about. Cut and paste, here you go boss.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel