The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Times They Are A-Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
NFSBOSS said:
That looks interesting.

http://insideevs.com/volvo-xc90-t8-plug-hybrid-worlds-cleanest-powerful-suv/

volvo-twin-engine-technology_2-750x561.jpg

Since my wife and I are very interested in the new XC90, this very well could be an option, especially if we stay in CA for the next 3+ years.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ufnavy06 said:
Since my wife and I are very interested in the new XC90, this very well could be an option, especially if we stay in CA for the next 3+ years.

We couldn't wait for the XC90 redesign...this would still be worth considering when they're out.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/tesla-model-hacked-chinese-contest-160005554.html

Tesla Model S Hacked In Chinese Contest

As cars become increasingly computerized, it's hard to ignore that, like your home computer, it's a target for hackers all around the world. Chinese computer security conference SyScan recently promised a $10,000 reward to anyone who had the skills to hack into Tesla Motors' [NSDQ:TSLA] Model S electric car—and one of the contest's sponsors has already shown it can be done.

As Forbes reports, Chinese internet security company Qihoo has announced that it's found ways to remotely control aspects of the Model S, even while the car is in motion. The company has posted screenshots showing several vital functions of the car disabled—such as the ABS and traction control—while the company also "discovered ways to remotely control the car’s lock, horn and flashing lights."

The move could be simply a PR stunt for Qihoo, which is quickly expanding and has even recently invested in a Silicon Valley startup. Forbes suggests that it's a way of scaring Tesla CEO Elon Musk into doing business with Qihoo. This highlights one of the benefits of an otherwise disturbing-sounding pursuit: that those with the ability to hack into otherwise secure systems also have the expertise to make them even safer. The flip-side to this is that Qihoo has previously been accused of theft of users' information, and blocking and uninstalling software on computers using its anti-virus software—so whether you'd want such a company controlling the security of your cars is another matter.

As for the competition's hacking prize, that has already been claimed—to a degree. A team from ZheJiang University managed to pop all the doors open on the Model S, taking a small prize fund—but the $10,000 prize remained unclaimed, as the team failed to take control of the car's electric drive system. That suggests at least some aspects of the car are secure—for now—but as Bloomberg reports, Tesla is keen for those who do find vulnerabilities to pass them on to the company. "We hope that the security researchers will act responsibly and in good faith," said Tesla.

So I'm at a EuroSunday (local cars & coffee) event this morning at a local shopping mall. There was a good turnout and several Mustang and Cobra owners parked in the Tesla charging stations. Sure enough a Tesla pulls up to charge his car and all seven spots were filled. Surprisingly nobody offered to move their cars so the guy could charge his car. The Tesla owner drove off all pissed. Later another Tesla pulled up and the same thing. The time are a-charging. :p

IMG_4279_zpsff81f8ef.jpg

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
...and electric car owners are pissed at other electric car owners who don't move their car after it is fully charged at the charging station.

You can't legislate courtesy.

Should a disabled Tesla owner be allowed to park in a charging station spot all day?

Or do you make them go retrieve their vehicle and move it to a disabled parking space after it has been charged?

But at least the electric car belongs at the station, fully charged or not. Someone should have moved. I would have. It's not like they are hybrid only spots right next to or replacing handicap spots. That kind of thing is total bs snobbery. I can see charging stations being placed close to the building to lower the install cost so I don't mind that.

I was a bit surprised nobody offered to move and a few were laughing at the guy. That's what prompted me to take the photo. I even said that someone should move but nobody budged. To be fair I'm not sure any of the owners of the cars were standing there. If it was my car I would have moved it in a heart beat.

Kerry brings up some good points and as these cars become more popular this will become more of an issue.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NFSBOSS said:
The stalls are along the main entrance to the mall on the perimeter of the parking lot. A long walk to the mall. There's a Tesla shop just a few miles from the mall.

We have similar charging stations in the Midwest. Usually near the perimeter of the Mall near the power substation for the mall.

I am curious how the electricity from the charging station is paid for. Anyone know??

WinterSucks said:
What they should do is set it up like a vending machine so yocan just swipe and walk away.

They have pay-by-the-hour charging stations here in Colorado. You can park all day if you want - you'll pay for the privilege, even if the car isn't charging.

I believe the dictionary definition of "douchebag" is being updated to include the people who parked their Mustangs in those charging stations and wouldn't move.

coboss said:
I believe the dictionary definition of "douchebag" is being updated to include the people who parked their Mustangs in those charging stations and wouldn't move.
That's a bit harsh. I don't think the Mustang owners ever expected the charging stations to used at all let along at 8:00 AM on a Sunday morning. As I mentioned I don't think any of the owners were around to move their cars. But yea they shouldn't have parked there.

I think they are free for now. I suspect that each car has it's own ID and if you're registered they know who you are and can charge you when you do have to pay for juice. These stations do not have a CC swipe strip.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/roseville

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
NFSBOSS said:
That's a bit harsh. I don't think the Mustang owners ever expected the charging stations to used at all let along at 8:00 AM on a Sunday morning.

Yes, you would think the car would have been charging all Saturday night.

The mall was certainly not open at 8 AM Sunday.

TMO Supporting Vendors