The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Times They Are A-Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Crossovers may be a better thought process, as the lower height, often AWD ( plenty of weight low down ) set ups, means some have lower profile rubber and they are still heavy. If I was selling tires, I would be promoting the thoughts and paper to Manufacturers and consumers, to open a new market for sales, so kudos to them. I am just not sure the idea holds as much merit as they are pursuing, but in the real World I would do the same thing if in charge of Sales/Retail. The benefits are likely there, but I just question if it is as big a concern as demonstrated.

Either way there will be continual processes for tires going into the future, but you and I really only care about super sticky stuff with better track life, haha.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I am not certain this is a trend limited to Teslas. If you check out the auction sites, there are loads of cars which seem to be fixable but are being junked. Parts supply issues cost between $50-100 a day waiting on parts. The cost of a rental car. My daughters car was recently totaled when the estimate to repair was under 50% of value of car. Not a Tesla.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
TMS is on the right track , as vehicles are being totaled at a higher rate than in the past due to varying reasons, with parts supply and many parts which have vastly increased in cost adding to the issue. One item not noted is the cost of labor which has gone up quite a bit in the last 5 years, so it is a multitude of reasons and it sounds good to single out Tesla, but it is definitely not just that one make of vehicle. I am not anti EV, not super excited about it, but frankly Tesla's have not ever been on my radar as I think they are kinda ugly. Part of the reason I feel their demise may be coming from all the other great looking Electric coming from the Worldwide Automotive Complex.

TMS is on the right track , as vehicles are being totaled at a higher rate than in the past due to varying reasons, with parts supply and many parts which have vastly increased in cost adding to the issue. One item not noted is the cost of labor which has gone up quite a bit in the last 5 years, so it is a multitude of reasons and it sounds good to single out Tesla, but it is definitely not just that one make of vehicle. I am not anti EV, not super excited about it, but frankly Tesla's have not ever been on my radar as I think they are kinda ugly. Part of the reason I feel their demise may be coming from all the other great looking Electric coming from the Worldwide Automotive Complex.
We should all short Tesla and buy GT4s!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Regardless of one's feelings about EV , Ford's move to have Plants producing both current battery technology is a bit of a coup to some degree. It is also a bit of proof that battery technology may be very different and use a myriad of sources in the coming decades. Thanks for posting.

Crossovers may be a better thought process, as the lower height, often AWD ( plenty of weight low down ) set ups, means some have lower profile rubber and they are still heavy. If I was selling tires, I would be promoting the thoughts and paper to Manufacturers and consumers, to open a new market for sales, so kudos to them. I am just not sure the idea holds as much merit as they are pursuing, but in the real World I would do the same thing if in charge of Sales/Retail. The benefits are likely there, but I just question if it is as big a concern as demonstrated.

Either way there will be continual processes for tires going into the future, but you and I really only care about super sticky stuff with better track life, haha.

My Mach-E is a crossover. The tires are Pirelli's but specific for EV's. Which means they're great at nothing. Well, they're good for spinning and burning them up. I'm at 12k miles now and ready for a new seat of shoes. I'm leaning heavily towards some wider rims for some wider rubber. Like most cars or crossovers, it'll really benefit from more rubber to the road. Factory tires are 245s, I'm shooting for 285's- range be damned.

I'm also kicking around the idea of selling it and getting a GT500.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Makes one wonder if Hydrogen vehicles may show a comeback in Europe? Wonder if they can get the grid up to accommodate by then ------I think that is the real issue Worldwide since we know that infrastructure always is the laggard.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
pollute the north atlantic
There' have been about 10 whales that washed up on NY & NJ beaches in the last two months. The only thing that seems to have changed is the use of sonar to map the sea floor to build offshore windmills.

20 years ago the Natural Resources Defense Council and Greenpeace sued the US Navy to stop sonar testing. But now, crickets...

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Interesting, and fairly logical and one simple idea I have thought was key with folks screaming that the building of an EV was so much more detrimental than building a petroleum based vehicle. The reality is both are tough on the enviroment, there are issues with manufacturing anything on the scale we build vehicles on.

Decent read and humans just don't like change. Often we get all wrapped up on Forums about EVs and because the US is so insular in it's thoughts at times we fail to simply realize it is the way the rest of the World is going at a breakneck speed. There will be numerous delays with Infrastructure around the Globe, but the one issue I know we all need to face ( whether pro or con EV ) is the US is the Automotive Breadbasket of this Planet and if we want to stay there we need to join the fight. Jobs in America, hmmmm, reality sets in that we are building more and more because we need to, we can not let China and others take over this All American position as the Automobile Force in this World.

But, with all that said, many who don't like or want the change need to count the years before most Scientists see the evolution to electricity to be fairly complete. This is usually stated around 2050, and many of us will not even be around, but there is a group of folks who also think we may see even more choices by then, as Hydrogen fuel celled machines are entering a new phase of research and development. Think back 28 years and realize what you were driving then and what we have seen since, I feel we may see a completely different environment by 2050 and beyond.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Hyundai is going to be selling a hydrogen fuel cell car up here now but I've never seen one. They did a fairly large scale fleet test of them in BC a couple of years ago and they seemed to do well.

I am a Hyundai daily driver guy, bought my first one in 1990 and have driven nothing but since. Going to be buying another one this spring, this time it'll be a hybrid. They are a phenomenal value for the cost, reliable and tough. You put gas in them, do the services on time and they just run and run and run.
Hard to beat that.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Amazon will have Hydrogen Delivery Trucks reasonably soon and Honda ( who seemed to give up on the process ) will begin building Hydrogen SUVs in 2024. There is so much going on now, along with new ideas on ICE who really knows where we will be in 10-15 years , let alone in the next 25-30?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
humans just don't like change.
Agree. The question to be answered is what change. Will we be able to do the same driving tasks tomorrow as today, just with a different propulsion system? If so, bring it on. If we have to make life style changes, push back will, and should be severe.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Agree. The question to be answered is what change. Will we be able to do the same driving tasks tomorrow as today, just with a different propulsion system? If so, bring it on. If we have to make life style changes, push back will, and should be severe.
Totally agree. I live in a big country with a lot of distance between places and not a lot of infrastructure between places. Having to stop every 2 hours or so and wait hours for a battery to charge up just isn't going to cut the mustard.

TMO Supporting Vendors