The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The toll of DD the boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesterday I noticed that the left side stripes are injured.

D81E0BA5-386D-4CA5-B256-9B10A9F03AFF_zps32pc1wz3.jpg

AD0E8063-C222-4C75-8412-979CB3A0708A_zpsfotrni3w.jpg

BC49DD3A-0FF2-4E1C-9138-3F4DA6A2F4C4_zpsb3lon3qp.jpg

Dealer said that Ford denied the warranty repair as it is a result of impact rather than a malfunction...bummer.

Bummer but it's good that you drive it!

I drive my Boss everyday, and through this winter.To and from work, which is an 8 minute drive.I have to let it idle for 5 before I go.Lucky for me this winter was not a winter this year, nothing like back east.Also drove last summer to the interior when it was 100F.I did mount different rims and tires.I've sold my Silverado, so it's all I have.I can always borrow my kid's car, but the wife needs hers for work.I just work 16 hours a week, just to keep busy.A few paint chips, but thats it.It was fine even when we had that long cold snap, minus 7 C.I have a garage, prefer not to put too much heat into it.There is about 28 thousand kilometers on it now.

That really sucks. I would be very upset if my stripes started looking like that. I am also a daily driver with almost 50k on my 2012. I live in sunny Southern Cal so I have not dealt with driving the Boss in the cold but I would assume the extreme cold could cause the stripes to possibly become brittle and a small chip becomes a tear like yours. Water getting under the stripe and then freezing at night expanding and causing issues. I have had very small chips from road damage on the hood stripe but they have not become any worse. Good luck with the dealer.

The 2013 have had stripe issues. I had to have my 2013 re-striped due to chipping and air bubbles. See the attached link.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7470.msg121916#msg121916

The 2012 don't seem to have that issue with their stripes, as they are vinyl and not the reflective type stripe on the 2013.

Just my .02.

RR2334 said:
The 2013 have had stripe issues. I had to have my 2013 re-striped due to chipping and air bubbles. See the attached link.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7470.msg121916#msg121916

The 2012 don't seem to have that issue with their stripes, as they are vinyl and not the reflective type stripe on the 2013.

Just my .02.

You are 100% correct. The 12 and 13 are differant types of 3M vinyl. From what I'm told and can see. The 12 is a clear sheet of vinyl with the ink put on from the rear side. If you look at a 12 stripe on your hood. The pin stripe and center stripe is all one peice on a clear sheet of vinyl.

I've been waiting 13 months for the hood decal on my car.Last attempt by a Ford guy was a disaster.He left heavy tool marks and had to be removed.Several replacement decals sent
by Ford were all creased.I mean, get it together Ford.They were sent in a box smaller than the decals!.So finally this coming Friday with be
another attempt.Kinda got used to a nude hood.Otherwise, the side decals appear fine.
Car has been subject to extreme heat and cold.Motor was fine also after 4 hours in
100 degree heat.Never budged the idiot temp gauge.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
superhero said:
You are 100% correct. The 12 and 13 are differant types of 3M vinyl. From what I'm told and can see. The 12 is a clear sheet of vinyl with the ink put on from the rear side. If you look at a 12 stripe on your hood. The pin stripe and center stripe is all one peice on a clear sheet of vinyl.

Yes, that is true, all stripes are the same, hood and side C stripes. I was surprised to see the 13's had individual pin or 1/4" stripes. Even the Boss 302 script is under 1 clear piece of 3M stripe material.

Good luck with the repairs, it's all about proper install methods, if you can get a stripe kit that's not creased.
Dave
2HP

on the 2012, the hood looks to be the easiest to install. However I know from experience that its not. As HI PRO stated, It takes alot of experience and knowing all the tricks to get it right.

What's sad is the 13 have the most problems and you can only get replacement stripes from Ford. Now if you could only paint reflective stripes..HUM!
Or remove all the stripes and replace with aftermarket reflective ones. instead of black with gold refelective you can buy black with silver reflective for about 1/6 of the price and have replacement stripes dirt cheap when ever you need one.

I always loved the reflective stripes. 8) Very retro looking.

After I showed them bubbles and they took a second set of pictures, the warranty denied the claim again saying this was a result of external force and not a defect in the stripes.

I get it that when you drive your car, you can get scratches, occasional small dents...etc BUT after close examination of the paint, there is no evidence of any scratch or dent at the paint where the stripes are torn.

So in conclusion, I think the stripes are NOT sturdy/well made enough to tolerate the exposure to the usual debris you get from driving on public roads. Which is a bummer.

TMO Supporting Vendors