The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 The Unicorn Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
The car looks so good on course. Some tips (from best I can tell from the videos):
  • practice launching the car. that can be worth some tenths. can see your rpms dropped as the car bogged in third run. I'm still figuring out the best rpm, but I was doing around 3000-3400rpm last event
  • it sounds like you're slow at getting on the power in some of the sections (maybe video audio is misleading)
  • if the tires can hold the power, should be rapidly going to WOT then hard on brakes
  • we have point and shoot cars, try to find as many mini straightaways that you can
  • don't cross your arms when steering, if need more than ~110 degrees try shuffling the wheel
  • was everyone doing the optional slalom from the same side (left entry)?
    • I would have tried a right enter to see how it felt, I think with a right entry could have carried more speed out of the sweeper exit with a wider arc. then the sweeper after the slalom wasn't as sharp so could carry a closer faster line through it.
    • otherwise I like the left entry and would have tried it also
I don't know your tires or condition, so some things might not be possible. CAM-T FTW

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
The car looks so good on course. Some tips (from best I can tell from the videos):
  • practice launching the car. that can be worth some tenths. can see your rpms dropped as the car bogged in third run. I'm still figuring out the best rpm, but I was doing around 3000-3400rpm last eventit sounds like you're slow at getting on the power in some of the sections (maybe video audio is misleading)

Yeah, I was talking crap to my buddy about launching in third the run before and then bogged on the next pass. :cool: Here’s a better audio clip. You can even hear the electric fan NOT working in the first pass.

Run 1

Run 2

Here’s how she acts you just give her the beans in a clutch duno scenario lol

• if the tires can hold the power, should be rapidly going to WOT then hard on brakes

This is all mental. My mind was stuck knowing my back brakes will lock first. I knew if I carried too much speed I may not be able to bleed it quick enough so I was honestly holding back. Another reason for this was paying attention to how the steering acted with the new rack and the fugged up alignment. It’s much lighter and responsive than before but the alignment it

• we have point and shoot cars, try to find as many mini straightaways that you can

The car is much faster than the driver!

• don't cross your arms when steering, if need more than ~110 degrees try shuffling the wheel

I did feel like I ran out of range when I passed through the last sweeper, especially. I’ve been chastised for not strictly staying at 9/3 and shuffling. Guess it’s all trial and error.

• was everyone doing the optional slalom from the same side (left entry)?
  • I would have tried a right enter to see how it felt, I think with a right entry could have carried more speed out of the sweeper exit with a wider arc. then the sweeper after the slalom wasn't as sharp so could carry a closer faster line through it.
    • otherwise I like the left entry and would have tried it also
  • I don't know your tires or condition, so some things might not be possible. CAM-T FTW

Ok, so on the course walk I decided that the left entry would allow a right exit into the sweeper. I’ve found that my car seemed to like a wide entry and tight exit for those elements but that also has led to the rear stepping out a little. Then it’s Tokyo drift time.

My tires are Federal RS-Pro and they’re not terrible but they’re not sticky enough. I had the chance to compare them after a run to a hot RT660 and they pale in comparison. Those Falkens are STICKY!

Thank you for the feedback!! I am always willing to learn from my peers.

CAM-T FTW

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
No problem, I want to see the SN95s whooping the other cars.

I forgot about the rack issues and yea fubarred alignment doesn't help. Overall good runs, just up your aggression level as you get comfortable in the car. I've been autocrossing my car for almost 10 years and am just now getting to the point of full confidence in it and tires. It takes times.

Yes the RT660s are amazing. I ran them last year. Good tires will really help with confidence level.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
No problem, I want to see the SN95s whooping the other cars.

I forgot about the rack issues and yea fubarred alignment doesn't help. Overall good runs, just up your aggression level as you get comfortable in the car. I've been autocrossing my car for almost 10 years and am just now getting to the point of full confidence in it and tires. It takes times.

Yes the RT660s are amazing. I ran them last year. Good tires will really help with confidence level.

Yes sir! My goal is to continue progressing and trying to get faster. I’m committed.

This is my first full season of autocross and it has largely been a constant shakedown for the car. Definitely understand why they say don’t modify everything at once. I’m still hellbent on leaving it alone as much as possible and limiting the tweaking to alignment and such. The most notable exceptions will be switching to a watts link and adding an adj. prop. valve to the brakes.

That and finalizing the tune. It’s still on the street tune and the timing curve is very safe. Probably why it doesn’t sound super eager. The cams also need to be mapped and I’m going to start running E85 soon. Current power level is likely around 440 and I’m shooting, probably dreaming, for 470 whp.

More to come!

Last edited:

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
he is waiting for the right wheel and tire pack last i heard

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Haven’t done much with the car due to working 7 days a week and 10+ hrs a day since the last weekend in May. I have been driving the car to/from work more than anticipated which has been a challenge with no AC and STILL having PS issues. Research led me to surmise that my high pressure line from the pump to the hydroboost is WAY too long, my hard 90° fittings create a restriction and the ID is too small. KRC spec suggests only using Aeroquip AQP high pressure hose as it has a .31 ID whereas my Milspec PTFE line is .29 ID.

Live and learn.

1CCB7336-8844-4B99-9EB4-0A041035D473.jpeg

Speaking of PS issues, the pump in my wife’s car locked up on the way to work, mostly shredded the belt and puked fluid everywhere. I’m not having a good year with power steering.

947BEAA5-586A-4CE8-994F-411F0602E5CC.jpeg
3CD3683D-855B-4877-AA8D-5F33C3095A30.jpeg
887FA229-2BCC-47ED-BC03-CCED400319E0.jpeg

Speaking of the red car, I’ve gone on a journey with it since April. Swapped cams, opened the blower inlet for a larger elbow, added a bigger TB, has some tuning issues, aheatere exhaust decided to eat itself and I’m on the second belt.

7515DDAB-9DF4-42C1-B912-4A753658B2BF.jpeg

6117D8D5-878B-47C4-AA0C-869D7F10E8F1.jpeg

A09383AF-5C26-4C86-9863-F22C1FA54FE9.jpegAAAE2ED1-539B-422D-995E-78484AC1CECD.jpeg

Mustangs are fun!

Right?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Made the decision to go SLA using parts from Griggs Racing, SPC controls arms, Penske shocks and Eibach springs. This will be a winter/spring project. The red car is being 6R80 swapped during the fall/winter.
About to be some good content coming to these forums.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
Made the time after work today to finally replace the high pressure hose for my power steering. As you can see, the previous line was about 12 miles too long. The ID was smaller, as well. The fittings are a much gentler radius 90° to promote smoother flow. The route taken also promotes smoother flow.

E4D1D1FB-BDAE-4417-9D7F-007ABA67C40A.jpeg74D4C270-63F1-4545-95AF-180CC2B4D354.jpeg99F9B3E4-142E-42FB-8F92-FF983F250800.jpeg05DF8885-EA19-441D-912B-ABA3F7EB5DF7.jpegF03C92DE-9643-4EB8-852B-3A80855420C7.jpeg

I’m going to let it sit overnight and then vacuum bleed it tomorrow.

TMO Supporting Vendors