The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

There is a solution to the CELs on track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Boss is at the dealership having a procedure to eliminate the CELs some of us have been experiencing on track. Your dealer can perform a 'crank tone ring re-learn procedure' that re-trains the crankshaft position sensor. I'm not certain specifically what it changes, but presumably it liberalizes the condition required to throw the misfire codes. They just asked for a two hour window to complete the procedure. I talked to my master tech about any effects on the TracKey programming and he said it is not a PCM reflash, so nothing to worry about there. The re-training is only performed on the sensor itself.

Gary - I'm praying along with you that this works. Any possibility those CEL's may have been holding your TK back somewhat?

Vince said:
Gary - I'm praying along with you that this works. Any possibility those CEL's may have been holding your TK back somewhat?
The CELs only occurred on track and I haven't tracked the car with TK yet. Personally, I've been more than happy with TracKey. I'm just anxious to use it on track.

I hope this procedure solves the issue. Too bad you'll have to wait until next Spring to confirm it.

5 DOT 0 said:
I hope this procedure solves the issue. Too bad you'll have to wait until next Spring to confirm it.
I put it out here so hopefully some others in warmer climes will test it out for us this winter ;)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
For what it's worth - I have 3 full track days on my LS running Sunoco 93 octane. 1 day at LRP without the track key and 2 days at VIR with it. Temps were in the high 50's to low 60's for both events. Ran it pretty dialed back at LRP but pushed it harder at VIR. No codes thrown so far...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
No codes on mine running 91 octane; I'm trying to drive it balls-to-the-wall at the track. So far she's got about 7 hours track time on her. Car built mid June.

PeteInCT said:
For what it's worth - I have 3 full track days on my LS running Sunoco 93 octane. 1 day at LRP without the track key and 2 days at VIR with it. Temps were in the high 50's to low 60's for both events. Ran it pretty dialed back at LRP but pushed it harder at VIR. No codes thrown so far...
If you don't have a code reader, you might not even know you're throwing the code. I often will get the code but no CEL. I've gone into limp mode with a flashing CEL which subsequently clears itself and the power returns after several seconds.

adam81 said:
Great info Gary! Thanks for the post.

Mine was flashed today, this will make it to the dealers but I do not know the procedure at this point. The people that flashed my car today said exactly what Gary stated - it is a sort of relearn and will not change any Trackey programming.

I have a Track day at Daytona in about two weeks but not sure this will tell me if it is working since it will be my first time there. When I get it out onto PBIR or Sebring I will know better but from what I was told with the relearn process the problem should be solved.

On another note I was told this has more to do with hitting the rev limiter, not running over the concrete apexes. This is what I had thought was the problem a long time ago but then heard differently. This makes more sense to me because of the way I was getting the codes in the first place and the reason why I did not get them my first few times out. As I learned the tracks better I would hit the limiter more and more and would see more CEL's

TMO Supporting Vendors